Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The interior was fitted by Trevor Ward, a superb craftsman at Norton Canes. His work, if slow, was meticulous. Lining timbers received 4 or 5 coats of varnish on the inside face, 6 or 7 on the visible side. He was also a fine coach painter, one of the old school, sadly no longer with us.

6 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

From Facebook it would appear that Prince and Bakewell are up for sale

I thought they had only been offered on a closed group?

IMG_20180703_114238.jpg.ce88da61b142f297bde901bf8be07a68.jpghttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302791044812

Here's an interesting one. Underneath the houseboat conversion is apparently a Manchester ship canal barge, I'm not sure myself but I'd love to know what it really is. 

IMG_20180703_113838.jpg

Edited by sparrowcycles
Forgot photos

DEHLI:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=573513

:captain:

edit = I am not quite sure what "Traditional boatman's cabin with 'scumbling', 'roses and castles' and other period LMS features" means as DEHLI was built as an open cabinless horse boat - but it is nice to see an advert with plenty of photographs.

Edited by pete harrison

21 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

it is nice to see an advert with plenty of photographs.

Not only that, the advertiser has listed all its details three times over, just in case we miss them the first twice. How very thorough. What does he mean when he says that the engine was "zero timed"?

That apart, it's a boat which will turn quite  few heads.

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not only that, the advertiser has listed all its details three times over, just in case we miss them the first twice. How very thorough. What does he mean when he says that the engine was "zero timed"?

That apart, it's a boat which will turn quite  few heads.

Agreed - she’s a beauty .........

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I recall that Listers inject so many degrees before tdc, does this mean it's retarded to zero degrees tdc?

I don't know what tdc is, either! Perhaps I too am retarded...

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't know what tdc is, either! Perhaps I too am retarded...

Top dead centre, when the piston is at maximum upward travel.

Fuel is usually injected at a few degrees before TDC so it gets compressed before ignition.

Edited by Ray T

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm intrigued to see the width claimed as 6ft 10in too. I thought boats back in the day were built to 7ft 1/2in or thereabouts, then only ever got fatter. 

Very nice boat though. 

When B.C.N. gauged (BCN1606 - 29 May 1930 and named as DELHI) DEHLI had a measured beam of 7'1'' - but having being built into what it is now I suppose it could be any beam the owner wanted :captain:

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, BWM said:

Nice boat, must have an awful lot of ballast to hit 25 ton! I'd be interested to know what zero timing is, however. 

When I asked at Brinklow what they thought "Dlamingo" might weigh, I think 25 tons was the answer given.

It seems to be a typical number for a converted boat that is well down at the front, which this one apperas to be.

I notice it is "£85,000 firm" - it looks a very well presented boat, but one professional surveyor that I talked to suggested it is almost unknown for a historic to fetch that much.

7 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

When B.C.N. gauged (BCN1606 - 29 May 1930 and named as DELHI) DEHLI had a measured beam of 7'1'' - but having being built into what it is now I suppose it could be any beam the owner wanted :captain:

Yes there must be very little of the orginal DELHI left. Just a bow and a hull sides to a little over half way back I'd guess. 

7 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

It's very usual, as I understand it for a boat that has been no more than a bare hull, and has had its bottom and footings replaced, as well as an all new back end, to be pulled in to be a "go anywhere" boat.  It probably really is only 6' 10" now.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

It's very usual, as I understand it for a boat that has been no more than a bare hull, and has had its bottom and footings replaced, as well as an all new back end, to be pulled in to be a "go anywhere" boat.  It probably really is only 6' 10" now.

Still 60ft long though. Does that actually count as 'go anywhere'?

Does the team know when the counter stern and cabin were added? The advert doesn't say AFAICS.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes there must be very little of the orginal DELHI left. Just a bow and a hull sides to a little over half way back I'd guess. 

As built DEHLI was a full length horse boat, with its length recorded on BCN1606 as 69'11. This boat was cut in two in 1959 when the fore end became the hire cruiser WATER VIPER. An instruction at that time made it clear that the stern was not to be converted, and although there is much speculation by 'enthusiasts' I have seen no evidence of what became of the stern section (although I have my suspicion). Once sold into private ownership WATER VIPER was renamed CHARIENE, a name it carried into the early 2000's - but confusingly there is also an LMSR stern end named CHARIENE :captain:

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I notice it is "£85,000 firm" - it looks a very well presented boat, but one professional surveyor that I talked to suggested it is almost unknown for a historic to fetch that much.

Perhaps because, as you suggest in another post, there is not much left of it which is truly historic. Were it a recent replica by a top builder, few would blench at the asking price.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Perhaps because, as you suggest in another post, there is not much left of it which is truly historic.

I'm not sure I've suggested that, because I don't actually know this boat!

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure I've suggested that, because I don't actually know this boat!

MEA CULPA!

It wasn't you, it was your Alvecote boat-jousting rival! My apologies.

Edited by Athy