Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, BWM said:

Were  these built with 8mm hull sides?

Probably necessary to be able to support the "blue tops" it never had!

But seriously......

I don't know, but as they were built deliberately but of light construction to maximise the load they could carry, were the sides actually 5/16" or just 1/4"?

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But seriously......

I don't know, but as they were built deliberately but of light construction to maximise the load they could carry, were the sides actually 5/16" or just 1/4"?

It does seem strange that the steel spec would change so dramatically for this batch of craft. First liveaboard too...! 

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Its an admiral looks are like the construction very robust...

Dart is also for sale serious rebuild history.. ill take Dart assume its yarwoods ... Pete?

Yes, ex-L.M.S.R. stern end originally built by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. in 1937 :captain:

56 minutes ago, BWM said:

It does seem strange that the steel spec would change so dramatically for this batch of craft. First liveaboard too...! 

I thought one of the first was down oxford way a number one who then lived on a butty i read about it in one of the old books think it was. was very early on they had a butty. they were o  the river and there was a lock near them that went onto the cut and there was a spit of land between the river and the cut.

the son (sure it was the son) still was working the canals but the mum and dad lived on a boat and didn't carry anymore, was one of the propper first living on the cut for living rather than living on there as part of a job.

Edited by billybobbooth

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Admiral class "Drake"

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=569997

Though the seller seems a bit confused about the history of a boat they have owned for 20 years!

I find it quite common that owners of 'historic' narrow boats have only a superficial knowledge of their boats history, often only what they have read in a book or extracted from the internet - and when this is compounded by some of the 'boatmans tales' I have heard then no wonder things get a bit skewed :captain:

43 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I find it quite common that owners of 'historic' narrow boats have only a superficial knowledge of their boats history, often only what they have read in a book or extracted from the internet - and when this is compounded by some of the 'boatmans tales' I have heard then no wonder things get a bit skewed :captain:

Very true.  My own boat (exFMC Badger) came to me with a history,  half of which actually  referred to a wooden motor, also called Badger, which worked in the salt trade around Sandbach.

George

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

But seriously......

I always understood the hull sides were 1/4 plate hence the "wrinkles"between the frames/knees & the nickname dustbin, I was also under the impression the bottom on the motors was 3/8 don' t know if the butties were the same (stand corrected ) & they were 6' 10"beam the under water fore ends on the Pimblott  built motor boats was such a design they would climb over most things unladen  with water in the back end for "fan hold" the actual join of stem post/base plate was just about  clear of the water, one of Jack Tolleys quips was "Them good for rabbitin youm can follow them across the fields" I still have visions of his boat trying to climb over the Hack Green lower lock bottom gates boating empty when he snagged a large agri fertilizer sack round the blade on "chucking back in the lock mouth I was hovering below the lock waiting to come up & was somewhat cocerned that the bottom gate would give way & i would get gates & the lock & pounds worth of water aproaching at an alarming rate fortunately the gates held  Jack had stepped ashore & was stood on the lockside

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I'm sorry is that the engine? sorry I miss took it for a heater geny. didn't realise they made engines that tilly willy.

Yes. Known down here as a Dorothy Perkins.

:giggles:

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
spellink

On 06/02/2018 at 09:02, alan_fincher said:

There seems to be a strong suggestion that Napton has worsened in recent years, and that some boats that have made it in the past have more recently failed to.

Of course that may be that the boats have spread more, rather than the lock has become more distorted, but certainly there are now Grand Unions that have failed the test.

We have never tried it with either of ours, but my working assumption is that Flamingo might well cause problems.  I hope I'm wrong!

We took Fulbourne down Napton a couple of days ago. At lock 9 we entered and went down OK but it took a lot of flushing to get it out.

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

This is a £5k drop, and ACACIA first appeared on Apollo Duck on 21 November 2016 @ £65k :captain:

If inflation is accounted for too, this is probbly equivalent to nearer £8k off the initial asking price. 

2 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I still do not understand why there are not more pictures with the advert, 3 is not enough?

Couldn't agree more.  When we sold our boat I made a website.  I found it was surprisingly easy to construct, never having done one before.

One big advantage of a detailed warts and all description is that only the genuinely interested buyers will then go on to pursue their enquiries further.  They know exactly what to expect.