Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I might be missing something obvious but what is the blue object beside the handrail just forward of the chimney on Baildon ? Header tank for the stove boiler maybe. Or is it a Klaxon.

5ad348971f2f5_SBCCMBNEPTUNERIVERWEAVERDB

Edited by magnetman

Oh yes ! A painted tin. I tend to think of flue covers as being much shorter than that because something like that would get blown off. I suppose if they just took the coolie hat off then slotted the tin over the stack itself rather than just the collar then  that would work.

You are definitely right - I did think I might have missed something obvious. 

Edited by magnetman

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Oh yes ! A painted tin. I tend to think of flue covers as being much shorter than that because something like that would get blown off. I suppose if they just took the coolie hat off then slotted the tin over the stack itself rather than just the collar then  that would work.

You are definitely right - I did think I might have missed something obvious. 

We use just such a painted tin on Trojan. The trick is to find one of the right circumference to fit snugly over the chimney collar; ours has not blown off yet!

Just now, Athy said:

We use just such a painted tin on Trojan. The trick is to find one of the right circumference to fit snugly over the chimney collar; ours has not blown off yet!

We used to have a painted catering size baked bean can.

30 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I might be missing something obvious but what is the blue object beside the handrail just forward of the chimney on Baildon ? Header tank for the stove boiler maybe. Or is it a Klaxon.

5ad348971f2f5_SBCCMBNEPTUNERIVERWEAVERDB

It does look to be attached to the handrail..

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We used to have a painted catering size baked bean can.

From memory, ours once held "Petits Pois et Carottes". None of yer tat. The standard French veg. tin tends to be just a bit fatter than a British one.

59 minutes ago, Athy said:

Isn't it a cover to keep the rain from going down the flue when the chimney has been taken off?

Yes.  Here's a picture of Baildon with the blue tin at WFBCo in 1999.  Owl was being restored at the same time.

u6.jpg

• Greenie 2

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:03, mykaskin said:

This picture also shows my parents boat Rose of Yorkshire following behind. Is it OK if I put it up on my Facebook page please Laurence? That will surprise my Dad!

No problem mike, we had been racing Baildon on that day and eventually let them catch up and breast up.

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Was the"Seffle " one of the 25Hp  One pot Semi's ? of the 4/5# in the UK Via Willow Wren?

Yes.  The Seffle from Baildon was the one I put in Owl.  It was one of the Willow Wren 25hp Seffles.  It was originally in Avocet .

There were a number of big Seffles in that order plus one 7/8 hp little one. Shipped to Willow Wren Brentford in 1962.

If anyone wants the little one call me.

Tim

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

A little bit more of a bit off topic. Dover out of drydock and heading Eastwards. Sounded nice.

Heading for the Crick Show I think.  Pretty sure I saw it on the list of historic boats attending.

39 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

i see dane has sold to someone in Loughborough area

Not to me!! I'll keep an eye open for it.

I noted the other day that Mecca had moved about 1/2mile aftr sitting in the same place below Loughborough lock for several months.

20 hours ago, Richard T said:

Not to me!! I'll keep an eye open for it.

I noted the other day that Mecca had moved about 1/2mile aftr sitting in the same place below Loughborough lock for several months.

Mecca my beloved old boat . We keep saying we could buy her back but she wouldn't be the same,...