Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Graham holand who used to have Carp first of all built a steam boat to use as as a pump out boat round ricky and then ( a man very far before his time) then started building boats very cheaply at conmon moor.

boats were very cheap some had outboards but sold like hot cakes. They improved and he ended up building out of a unit in croxley green i think. We left ricky in 1988 and in spite of efforts have not heard since though i heard rumours he went into the church.

Sorry fmc carp was scuttled at John Wolleys yard at brentford. John was a very good wooden boat builder who taught me how to caulk our boat properly back in 1982. He was near retirement then and i think the yard at brentford was redeveloped or sold in the late 80s . Fmc carp by rumour at one point had a car in the hold with the propshaft connected to the boats propshaft and 4 reverse gears and one forward. Another Graham holland modification.

it was a fun time between cowley and watford in those days wooden boats all over the place modified lifeboats no certificates of compliance.....

..Carp 2 was docked at Braunston just before my daughter was born there ..we did some rudimentary repairs - including a scaffold board or two in her uxter plates to encourage her to stay together and caulked and tarred her...lots of horse shit I recall......really nice little boat :) 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

The boat for sale is "Carp 2",  i remember it was at Oxford just after the first lock from dukes cut (agenda 21 moorings) in the mid 90s with a 6 pot Perkins in it. Last time I saw it was about 10 years ago at Boobun by the dry dock beside the top lock (Jem Bates). Advert says Herts so probably still there and the photo looks like the same place.

Yes,

I'm pretty sure that's at Bulbourne.

10 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Graham holand who used to have Carp first of all built a steam boat to use as as a pump out boat round ricky and then ( a man very far before his time) then started building boats very cheaply at conmon moor.

boats were very cheap some had outboards but sold like hot cakes. They improved and he ended up building out of a unit in croxley green i think. We left ricky in 1988 and in spite of efforts have not heard since though i heard rumours he went into the church.

Was that Legend narrow boats? At one time built beside Walkers lock. They often had diesel outboards (yanmar I believe or possibly lombardini).  Still a few of the old Legends about some with quite bad faults like bulging sides etc.

They were steel boats built very cheaply. I believe there were some legal issues around the quality.

Not sure if you are talking about the same thing.

Yes legend sorry didnt post itself poor internet where we are

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

There's an echo in here - are you sure it's the internet that's wonky? :)

I've seen a few Legend narrow boats about. Some of them were converted to inboard later but I think there are still one or two with diesel outboards that's if the outboards have not been stolen.

Shockingly bad quality boats but I guess they (sort of) do the job. Only problem is I think some of them would have problems on the coffin locks like around Napton for example due to not being straight. They were often full length boats. I guess being built fairly well south on the GU a few will not have gone far. In fact there is one very dodgy one on the Batch worth moorings near the lock and half of one with a flat "bow" somewhere around there as well. I did one once see a Legend (converted to inboard with an SR3 in it) at Cropredy which was a good advert for them. Late 90s.

Edited by magnetman

The tug Carp was built at Lapworth in about 1974 or 5 (?) by Alan Bettles who owned the motor, 'Carp' all made out of softwood, constructed on top of a wooden Joey boat and 'launched' in the top lock of the S. Stratford. I doubt there is much of the original wood in the boat now. Originally wheel steering I think

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I remember him, I used to moor in Jim's Stink Hole and would often see him puttering past.  I believe he started with an Enterprise Allowance Scheme pay out. And he had a Stainless Steel ex pub bulk beer container on the front of his boat that he pumped the sh-one-t into before lifting a man hole cover near a lock somewhere and disgorging it back out.

He gave up with the steam poo boat whe he met his wife Jenny. I think she had a boat on chapmans farm. They bought and sold old projects fixing them up. At one point they had stamford and bude as a pair which he filled with road chippings as ballast and put an undercloth conversion on...after that he used the money from the sale to start legend. The last few boats were reasonable for the late 80s

On 26/03/2018 at 09:11, magnetman said:

Was that Legend narrow boats? At one time built beside Walkers lock. They often had diesel outboards (yanmar I believe or possibly lombardini).  Still a few of the old Legends about some with quite bad faults like bulging sides etc.

They were steel boats built very cheaply. I believe there were some legal issues around the quality.

Not sure if you are talking about the same thing.

The outboards were Ruggerini's .. very heavy and bloody unreliable 

I spent a bit of time with Graham and Jenny at Lot Mead when he ran the litho press in the building opposite the main house .. sadly lost touch with both of them after they parted company 

Great days .. beer in the Batch and a wobbly bike ride home 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=475720

If you have a spare £110k

I'm struggling to convince wife to spend £ on dane (I would have to sell Towy first then could buy it dispite having enough to get her) let aloan  110k

OK,  so the mooring not wanted puts the boat at........... ££.????