Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

There used to be one between fisheries lock and boxmoor top lock on the GU when that was my local area in the mid 00s. I wonder if its still there. It looked very delicate (ex Walkers wooden boat I think it was). It was called Jester or similar.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

There used to be one between fisheries lock and boxmoor top lock on the GU when that was my local area in the mid 00s. I wonder if its still there. It looked very delicate (ex Walkers wooden boat I think it was). It was called Jester or similar.

JESTER was tied above Fishery after it left the Basingstoke Canal in in the late 1990's, and it was a large Ricky but it original identity had been lost in the passing of time (I do have records of all large Ricky's that ended up as Basingstoke Canal house boats but most were renamed several times so losing their original identities with multiple owners).

My understanding (from this Forum) is that JESTER was dismantled at Winkwell some time prior to 2014 :captain:

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Its on the bank at Winkwell in two pieces maybe more.

More!

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

My understanding (from this Forum) is that JESTER was dismantled at Winkwell some time prior to 2014 :captain:

Last I knew the various cut up sections of it were still on the bank.

23 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Correct, and I do have records of every boat that they converted :captain:

Any connection to the company that built narrow boats under that name?

47 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I have been following this thread and although BRENT falls outside my field of research I would like to make a few points:

Although it is appreciated that BRENT (like any other wooden ex-commercial canal boat) is a 'survivor' it needs another 10 years to pass before it can be claimed to be 100 years old.

When built BRENT had a wooden hull sheathed in galvanised steel. I imagine this would have been little more than ice plating in its gauge.

BRENT has had at least four engines throughout its 90 years - Kromhout, Bolinder, National and Perkins :captain:  

Wouldnt this be like most wooden icebrakers? These tended to have full sheets of metal round them.

Brent is prob a tad big for canals really. Intresting engine history.

29 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Wouldnt this be like most wooden icebrakers? These tended to have full sheets of metal round them.

Brent is prob a tad big for canals really. Intresting engine history.

Obviously as it is over 7ft wide it is "a tad big" for narrow canals in the sense that it is physically impossible to pass through a lock. 

As someone who has boated extensively on the Grand Union and regents canal in a 40x9ft boat with a similar shape to "Brent" I can assure you that it is not a "tad big" but on the contrary a very satisfactory size for its designed purpose. A good length to beam ratio able to be maneuvered easily and turned in places where a longer boat would not be able to turn.

Edited by magnetman
typo
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Obviously as it is over 7ft wide it is "a tad big" for narrow canals in the sense that it is physically impossible to pass through a lock. 

As someone who has boated extensively on the Grand Union and regents canal in a 40x9ft boat with a similar shape to "Brent" I can assure you that it is not a "tad big" but on the contrary a very satisfactory size for its designed purpose. A good length to beam ratio able to be maneuvered easily and turned in places where a longer boat would not be able to turn.

I also ment depth wise at 3 foot 6 shes prob close if not deaper than me and i have a hard time getting into the bank.

Dredging is terrible these days and in the working days a boat used for towing would not have needed to be getting in to the side much anyway. so thats a good point in terms of the boats usefulness on a modern canal as a pleasure boat which is what it is advertised as.

Edited by magnetman

14 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Again(!).....

I've already dealt with engine bilges like this - I think I'll pass on doing it again!

29249671_1839174562799749_91923755112826

1 hour ago, rivergate said:

TAY has been available for approaching 2 years I think...the plus  £30 k ticket is the challenge i think...really beautiful boat :)

This is what put me off if was 20k i would have bought this rather than towy

On 14/03/2018 at 10:25, Mike the Boilerman said:

Overplating is usually taken to mean welding extra bits on top of rusty steel. This one sounds like a totally wateright steel box crafted to fit around a leaky wooden hull. The technique has a different name surely. 

What happens when the wood that the totally watertight steel box is attached to rots away?.. :P

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

I do dislike 'Trigger's Broom' replacing 'Grandad's Axe'

Richard

Good point. You’re right. I shall revert to grandad’s axe in future. 

Trigger did not invent the concept, just made it more widely known 

• Haha 1