Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Apologies Pete I looked in the index which is obviously not complete!!

You have no need to apologise to me, I just happened to find it earlier this evening :captain:

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Yep but it's at pewsey that ups the value til you get to napton locks

Now don't be mentioning Napton Locks as I have got to get OTLEY through there in April :captain:

Pete we got through napton in October. I had a good look while the boat was dropping. The lock appears banana shaped with a bulge at the bottom in front of the gates. We had circa 2" all way round but of course our big woolwich is only 57 feet, though mightly rigid with the 6mm box section gunnel. The pound below needs to be full as the wing wall ain't parallel. We are back in the uk in April and while I know you know what you are doing will always help.' 

as an aside one of our quotes on the southern Stratford used to be ' curry the sides and take a run at it"

referred to the day I was witnessed in a mighty temper on Thaxted having tried to get through a lock coating last nights supper remains on the rubbing guard before charging the lock.

it worked (madras if you were going to ask)

23 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Pete we got through napton in October. I had a good look while the boat was dropping. The lock appears banana shaped with a bulge at the bottom in front of the gates. We had circa 2" all way round but of course our big woolwich is only 57 feet, though mightly rigid with the 6mm box section gunnel. The pound below needs to be full as the wing wall ain't parallel. We are back in the uk in April and while I know you know what you are doing will always help.' 

as an aside one of our quotes on the southern Stratford used to be ' curry the sides and take a run at it"

referred to the day I was witnessed in a mighty temper on Thaxted having tried to get through a lock coating last nights supper remains on the rubbing guard before charging the lock.

it worked (madras if you were going to ask)

Am I right in thinking the problem lock is the second lock up from the bottom, and that the bulge is downstream of the bottom gates i.e. not actually in the lock ?

Unfortunately OTLEY will be more rigid than I would like with steel gunwales as far forward as the mast along with its triangular steel cabin shell - all of which will be coming off during 2018. A full pound and a bit of flushing will do it all being well, but I will be more than happy if it just motors out (OTLEY went down to the Thames via Napton without any problems, but that was a few years ago) :captain:

There seems to be a strong suggestion that Napton has worsened in recent years, and that some boats that have made it in the past have more recently failed to.

Of course that may be that the boats have spread more, rather than the lock has become more distorted, but certainly there are now Grand Unions that have failed the test.

We have never tried it with either of ours, but my working assumption is that Flamingo might well cause problems.  I hope I'm wrong!

Another problem with Napton lock 9 (the problem one) is that when they renewed the walkways across the gates, they neglected to put on the anti slip covering, and they are treacherous when wet. I emailed CRT on January 3rd, but I have yet to receive a response.

Edited by billS

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

There seems to be a strong suggestion that Napton has worsened in recent years, and that some boats that have made it in the past have more recently failed to.

Of course that may be that the boats have spread more, rather than the lock has become more distorted, but certainly there are now Grand Unions that have failed the test.

We have never tried it with either of ours, but my working assumption is that Flamingo might well cause problems.  I hope I'm wrong!

I have know boats to make it by going up backwards after failing to do it forwards.

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have know boats to make it by going up backwards after failing to do it forwards.

I'm not sure how useful that is when the winding hole at Marston Doles is only about 50 feet, and the next full length one is at Fenny Compton.

Edit to add: engage brain and turn in the old engine arm...

Edited by billS

1 hour ago, billS said:

I'm not sure how useful that is when the winding hole at Marston Doles is only about 50 feet, and the next full length one is at Fenny Compton.

Edit to add: engage brain and turn in the old engine arm...

I did say going up wind just past the Folly

35 minutes ago, greywolf said:

LOL. would that be stable in any way ?

Do you mean could you keep a horse in it? 

Probably - it even seems to have the right kind of doors!

Edited by alan_fincher
Numpty typing error!
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I really like those lifeboat hulls, it's a shame they are 8' beam

Also, the last one I saw was as rotten as a pear

Richard

and of course they are getting rarer by the day, once you could get wooden lifeboats to convert, then aluminium, now people are buying orange fibreglass ones