Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, Leo No2 said:

Petronella (a motorised - National - Bantock) is sadly available following the death of it's owner, fender maker, Peter Young.  My understanding - which I'll update when I can - is that it is lying on the River Wey (Pyrford Marina I think) at present. Offers in the region of £23K but when advertised it will, I understand be higher. Chris Bennet is managing the sale from whom images of Petronella are available  - I'll post Chris' contact details as soon as I have them.

Google yields this......

2385611_1338a2be.jpg

and this.....

RIMG0072a+sharing+locks+with+Petronella.

Edited by alan_fincher

23 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Google yields this......

2385611_1338a2be.jpg

and this.....

RIMG0072a+sharing+locks+with+Petronella.

Interesting images:

Top one is passing the Summer House memorial to John Donne (https://focusedmoments.net/tag/john-donne/), a former Dean of St Pauls Cathedral, just downstream of Walsham Gates on the River Wey and the second one is Lock 13 (middle of the Brookwood 3) on the Basingstoke - A322 in the background.

Definately in Pyrford Marina.

Saw it a few days ago.

PS in case anyone goes to Pyrford to see Chris, he is not located there any more. Chris has moved upwards and onwards!

Edited by mark99

On 03/02/2018 at 17:24, ditchcrawler said:

Unimaginable, we often pass in Middlewich, lets hope the new owner loves it just as much 

From the wording of the advert I suspect the focus will be on finding the right owner, rather than obtaining top price.

I'd love to own this boat, but I know myself well enough to know I am not worthy.

The piano intrigues me especially. 

On 03/02/2018 at 19:56, Derek R. said:

I may be wrong, but I thought it was a Harmonium. Sitting within sampling various home made fruit wines is one memory I will not forget.

Well its described as an 1890 yacht piano in the advert. and doesn't look like a harmonium. Here is the best photo of it in the ad:

554585_3.jpg?1517588379

I know its a shame to have to sell but at some point we all have to make that leep all we can do is know is that the boat we love gains another owner who feels the same.

Its a very diffrent boat to any other on the system even for back then, its not my cup of tea but its a very nice boat at the same time.

Well a not-so-brief google reveals a yacht piano is a specific style of piano common 100 years ago, which is compact in design and has a 'folding keyboard' for economical use of space.

Frustratingly I can't find any decent photos should how the keyboard folds.  

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You missed the description of it in the listing, obviously!

40 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well its described as an 1890 yacht piano in the advert.......

I didn't miss the description, but thought it was wrong, as I could see nowhere obvious on it to fit the mast and sails..................

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well a not-so-brief google reveals a yacht piano is a specific style of piano common 100 years ago, which is compact in design and has a 'folding keyboard' for economical use of space.

postadsuk.com-yacht-piano-with-folding-k

postadsuk.com-3-yacht-piano-with-folding

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Norfolk pleasure Wherries use to have a piano onboard https://pianomanpianos.co.uk/news/2017/5/19/a-ships-piano

Edited by ditchcrawler

46 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I am not sure that the piano on that boat is actually a yacht piano, which as you suggest would have a folding keyboard. The way this works is that the keyboard folds upwards into the front of the piano which moves backwards to accomodate it, leaving a flat font. It is difficult to see how the one one illustrated can do that, the candle sconces would get in the way of folding for a start. It looks like a small, probably, overdamped upright to me.

This is a proper yacht piano and the potential for folding can be observed.

image.png.d507987f99d2e2508b46580187a16f94.png

Edited by David Schweizer