Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, matty40s said:

Thank you, lovely lit shot, Pete can probably tell you what the butty is too.

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

I don't thin so because Mr Blargrave had ELTON which is a large Ricky wooden hulled boat, whereas the butty in the photograph has a riveted hull and looks like a small G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boat from the cabin proportions. The usual suspects around this time would be ACHILLES or PICTOR, but the cabin paintwork is making me think VIRGINIS :captain:

6 minutes ago, Old Janner said:

I have another photo of the same butty which shows more of the grey and orange paintwork. This was Foxton Boat Services livery and my photo has "Virginis and another butty" recorded on it.

So there is all the confirmation that anybody ever needed - Pete Harrison is a sad narrow boat nerd who really needs to get out more :captain:

10 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Probably the one owned by the late Mr Blegrove

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I don't thin so because Mr Blargrave had ELTON which is a large Ricky wooden hulled boat, whereas the butty in the photograph has a riveted hull and looks like a small G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boat from the cabin proportions. The usual suspects around this time would be ACHILLES or PICTOR, but the cabin paintwork is making me think VIRGINIS :captain:

I assumed that X Alan W was referring to David Blagrove. I have no idea who Mr Blagrave is/was,

Edited by David Schweizer

8 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I assumed that X Alan W was referring to David Blagrove. I have no idea who Mr Blagrave is/was,

Yes the Same had a bit of a who are with him & Nick hill on the Cheshire locks during our Hoteling days  re them drawing a lock off on me when I voiced my dis pleasure & called him David his reply was that he was a working boatmer & had preference over "them Leisure boats & he was Mr Blagrove"  I think he was having a bad day  but it didnn't go down to well & ever after it was a curt nod & on my part no talking

On 1/29/2018 at 20:49, Jon57 said:

This boat just been listed on the duck. Not a lot of details but looks interesting.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=554195

The toilet doesn't look to be located in the most usable of places!

(And what on earth is going in with that scaffolding gear-rodding?)

478940.jpg?1517389376

Edited by alan_fincher

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Perhaps I am missing something, but if you look at the length of the counter and where the weed hatch is, where is the prop positioned?

I agree the counter does appear rather long, and it is unusual to have the weedhatch inside the boat rather than inside the counter but, onsidering the position of the swim tops in the floor, I would guess that it will be a few inches further back, more or less under the weed hatch.

Edited by David Schweizer

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Perhaps I am missing something, but if you look at the length of the counter and where the weed hatch is, where is the prop positioned? Assuming it is a weed hatch in the picture.

Yes, I agree.

On the face of it, if the prop is under that hatch, then there is one almighty great distance between the prop and any leading edge on the rudder.   It's hard to see how it could handle well if that is the situation.

There also appears to be a plastic tank in the counter void, purpose unclear.  Fuel ? Fresh Water? (Or pump out tank for adjacent bog!?! :P)

Just now, David Schweizer said:

Considering the position of the swim tops in the floor, I would guess that it will be a few inches further back, more or less under the weed hatch.

A relatively long way back from the rudder. What effect on performance would that have?

17 hours ago, pete harrison said:

So there is all the confirmation that anybody ever needed - Pete Harrison is a sad narrow boat nerd who really needs to get out more :captain:

Never mind Pete, now you have Otley you WILL be getting out more, if only to do all the maintenance, painting etc.!

George

4 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

Engine looks to me like a BMC 2.2 or 2.5

Boat seems extremely cheap?

Don't think it's a BMC 1.5/1.8/2.2.  The injector pipes in the pic appear in a straight line from something on the lower right side of the engine whereas a BMC  BPA pump has them on a circle and is higher up where the distributor is on a petrol version.

N

4 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

Engine looks to me like a BMC 2.2 or 2.5

Boat seems extremely cheap?

It is an early 2.2 with series wired Glow Plugs

7 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Don't think it's a BMC 1.5/1.8/2.2.  The injector pipes in the pic appear in a straight line from something on the lower right side of the engine whereas a BMC  BPA pump has them on a circle and is higher up where the distributor is on a petrol version.

N

2.2 and 2.5 Pumps are driven off the Timing Chain and face Fore and Aft .unlike the 1.5 which in the "Distributor" Position.

42 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Also the 1 Litre BMC (A Series Block)Diesel.which was built and mainly used for Generators, it is a while since I have seen one but memory recalls it also had an Injector pump drive from the Distributor Gear.

There's a little tractor, I think 

20 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I am quite sure that a character like David Blagrove is going to be known by all sorts of names, some good and some not so good. I first heard his name being referred to by somebody I respect as Mr Blargrave about 20 years ago, and with me it stuck and I was subsequently happy to use it when speaking with him - and he never corrected me :captain: 

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

There's a little tractor, I think 

A Neighbour has one ,it is Leyland Badged and has a 1.5 ,the 1 Litre BMC was built as a Production run of One Thousand Engines for ,I think ,GM Generators.

Will check that Tractor .it may be 1 Litre?

Edited by cereal tiller

14 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I am quite sure that a character like David Blagrove is going to be known by all sorts of names, some good and some not so good. I first heard his name being referred to by somebody I respect as Mr Blargrave about 20 years ago, and with me it stuck and I was subsequently happy to use it when speaking with him - and he never corrected me :captain: 

A few years ago, David went through a period when he regularly called me Tim.

I hadn't the heart to correct him, but did wonder which Tim he thought I was!

Petronella (a motorised - National - Bantock) is sadly available following the death of it's owner, fender maker, Peter Young.  My understanding - which I'll update when I can - is that it is lying on the River Wey (Pyrford Marina I think) at present. Offers in the region of £23K but when advertised it will, I understand be higher. Chris Bennett (07770 893453) is managing the sale from whom images of Petronella are available .

Edited by Athy
At poster'sr equest.