Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I realise that appearances can be deceptive, but she does look to be in very fine fettle - perhaps her condition has a bearing on the asking price?

Well of course condition, (whether good or bad) must have a considerable effect on asking price of any boat.

None-the-less we are looking here at an unconverted boat with.....

Probably a Lister HRW3, (despite what it says), apparantly with at least part of its cooling by a radiator - hardly ideal!
A wooden back cabin
and (if this thread is correct)
A station boat front end grafted on instead of a Josher one.

(I know little about this boat, so can't vouch for the exact situation).

Versus other boats with engines that most would consider to be "higher value", and where the boat probably has more of its original bits, and without the maintenance worries of a wooden back cabin, to me this one sounds very expensive.

(But I will probably be surprised - people often seem prepared to pay prices driven far more by the heart than the head!)

16 hours ago, TimYoung said:

Note the bow is from a Yarwood's station boat.

I thought the bow didnt look right and looked more like a yarwoods butty.

Too far from original for me to be intrested as a buyer but it does look nice but not really much of the josher left as back and front are different. 

Edited by billybobbooth
Added extra

10 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I think you could be correct on that Harecastle thing ,the bows were cut offto obtain the correct length to fit in between the wall & towpath between the 2 tunnels at the north end it just had a piece of flat plate across the boat to around half the side height IIRC 2 & a bit or 3 & a bit boats were used they had a couple top planks side by side length ways  I was told it was done as an early pleasure boat tried to go North/South through the Brindley tunnel.True or not I have no idea.

This is the boat that blocked the old tunnel (from http://petergshilstonsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/james-brindley.html)

harecastle.jpg

But the England ad says it has been in the same ownership for 38 years, meaning the current owner acquired it in 1979. My recollection is that the boat at Harecastle was there well into the 80s. Can anyone confirm?

This picture suggests the boat was buried, although judging by the current bank line, the boat (or at least one side of it) was presumably removed later. It also seems to have lost something from the stern (unless it has been turned end to end and the flat end wasn't full height).

Harecastle canal tunnels, Kidsgrove.

As it is today (from http://www.stthomasthemartyr.org.uk/nicks-cheshire-ring-walk-20171.html)

6-47-harecastle-tunnels_orig.jpg

And this is what it looked like when both tunnels were in use (from http://www.thepotteries.org/location/districts/boathorse3.htm)

tunnel1.jpg

5 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

I thought the bow didnt look right and looked more like a yarwoods butty.

Too far from original for me to be intrested as a buyer but it does look nice but not really much of the josher left as back and front are different. 

Yup. Lost its original name in 1914, original stern in 1938, and original bow in the 1960s (?).  So not much of the old Germany left!

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Yup. Lost its original name in 1914, original stern in 1938, and original bow in the 1960s (?).  So not much of the old Germany left!

I support somebody buying this boat and restoring it to its last incarnation with BWB.

That is to say, throw the engine away, chop off both ends and turn it back into a bit of banking at Harecastle.

Edited by zenataomm
Pizza delivery at door
  • Greenie 1

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

This is the boat that blocked the old tunnel (from http://petergshilstonsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/james-brindley.html)

harecastle.jpg

But the England ad says it has been in the same ownership for 38 years, meaning the current owner acquired it in 1979. My recollection is that the boat at Harecastle was there well into the 80s. Can anyone confirm?

This picture suggests the boat was buried, although judging by the current bank line, the boat (or at least one side of it) was presumably removed later. It also seems to have lost something from the stern (unless it has been turned end to end and the flat end wasn't full height).

Harecastle canal tunnels, Kidsgrove.

As it is today (from http://www.stthomasthemartyr.org.uk/nicks-cheshire-ring-walk-20171.html)

6-47-harecastle-tunnels_orig.jpg

And this is what it looked like when both tunnels were in use (from http://www.thepotteries.org/location/districts/boathorse3.htm)

tunnel1.jpg

From my late fathers collection Circa 79/80

img150 copy.jpg

On 04/10/2017 at 20:19, John Brightley said:

Station boat 'Beck', BCN 1515, conversion by Malcolm Braine in the '80's -  ebay advert

17 10 station boat Beck photo.jpg

Comedy price of £60k!

JP2 apparently which is excellent, but they can't be bothered to post up a photo of it, or any of the interior.

Do they really want to sell this boat?

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Comedy price of £60k!

JP2 apparently which is excellent, but they can't be bothered to post up a photo of it, or any of the interior.

They've left the toilet on the towpath by the bow too.:)

I used to see Beck in all sorts of place around the network in the 90s and 00s. Always liked it and I'm a fan of Malcolm Brains but £60k ?? That seems an awfully high price when Dolphin is only £70k !! 

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/dolphin-71ft-fmc-converted-josher-tug-style-narrowboat/

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Comedy price of £60k!

Problem is with so little detail, and no internal pictures, you can't tell just how much it might be a comedy price.

A Station Boat conversion we were after was mid £50k pricing, 3 years ago - probably too much but seller not open to negotiation.  Than had an RN - some might well prefer the JP.

12 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I would rate the fore end of Yarwoods Station boats as better than most. (Not that it justifies the price though).

I presume you mean for appearance, rather than longevity or durability?  If so, I agree - I think they have a fore-end that is quite attractive.  However, we are told they suffer the usual Yarwoods problems of not really having enough rivets on the knees, making corrosion between knees and plate more likely, amd a greater tendency to pulled rivet heads, (yes, I know - that hasn't stopped me being the owner of two Yarwoods boats!).

This advert says " Full length steel overplating 2006.", but doesn't really say what that covers - something that would need a lot more investigation, I feel.

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I used to see Beck in all sorts of place around the network in the 90s and 00s. Always liked it and I'm a fan of Malcolm Brains but £60k ?? That seems an awfully high price when Dolphin is only £70k !! 

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/dolphin-71ft-fmc-converted-josher-tug-style-narrowboat/

Dolphin has already been dropped by £5K, I think, and still doesn't seem to find a buyer.

Whilst the long tug deck may well appeal to many, because the space under it isn't used as a bedroom, it obvioysly means far less accommodation tham in many other full lenth conversions.

Also it has a Bolinder Munktell 3-cylinder engine, claimed 1960s, which I think many will not consider as desirable as a JP2.  If you buy an "historic" with an engine that doesn't really appeal, the cost to chane can be very high, (not just "new" engine itself, but everything else it will probably force you to change as well.  This would heavily limit my interest in a boat, if the seller hadn't factored that into the price, (one of the reasons we never even looked at a boat with a FOUR cylinder Gardner).

• Greenie 1

I've been watching this thread for years, and can finally contribute something. I used to work on the hotel boats Dawn and Dusk in 1987. The couple that owned them then also owned Beck, and lived on her during the winter, while we carried out repairs to the hotel boats. Late in 1987, I took Beck from Kinver to Chester overnight. She'd been stuck on the bank in Kinver having been left all summer. Happy memories, but not £60k's worth. She didn't have electric start then.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Having seen a stagnated butty market for a couple of years now, I would question her selling at that price as butties less than half that didn't sell. I wish them luck.

Dan

Can only agree.

"Optimistic" would be rather understating the situation, I think!

Mind you if a not particularly appealing looking water can by an unknown artist can sell for over £800, who knows!

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Much easier to license and store

Richard

But you would never be brave enough to put it out on a cabin roof.  I can't see the point of £813 water cans!

Edited by alan_fincher