Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 23/09/2017 at 21:25, stagedamager said:

yes they are!

Here you go, these are a set made for my BCN day boat, including one for a mast, and one for a stove pipe.......just in case!

Originally we were going to have an undercloth fit out..... until we bought Oak and Ash.

Spent some time with them at Huddlesford and they're now heading your way. :)

Very nice... bolts through the gunwale rather than welded. So you can remove them easily? Stick welded? Certainly not going anywhere in a hurry. I do like the idea with sticking the stove through... that's a tidy solution! B)

8 hours ago, djgoode1980 said:

When I had ling I kept the steel chequerplate over the gunwhale angles and had steel gunwhales fitted over by this method she does not really need the chains but had them in anyway and could still bring her in an inch. 

You left the chains fitted or just had them available should the need arise? 

1 minute ago, koukouvagia said:

It is perfectly possible to add a steel undercloth conversion without A frames.  Hampton was converted over twenty years ago and, according to a recent survey, has not spread in the slightest.

The key is to have strong steel gunwales.

Now this is a picture I've seen before very recently after discussing this topic. That and all the other ones in the excellent website. I have to admit that many of the solutions in this project albeit not cheap were rather excellent! An excellent history of a boats upkeep and changes it really provided some valuable insights. So thank you for keeping that website going! :)

Mentioned in another thread....

Rebecca - Bantock style conversion at Virginia Currer

On the face of it not a bad way of getting an historic full length converted boat, without paying silly money.

Main downside to me that is obvious is the Perkins 4108 motor.

16 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Memo to self, buy a lottery ticket today.

Already done! I'll do you a deal... If I win I'll let you have a go anytime and I'll buy you the next best historic narrowboat of your dreams.  If you win I'll get a go and you buy me the historic boat of my dreams :D

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

If this isn't the highest asking price ever for an unconverted motor, it must surely come fairly close to it!

(OK, it probably isn't because some have attached silly numbers to their boats to test the waters, but I don't think any unconverted boats have ever sold at this kind pf money, have they?)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TimYoung said:

Note the bow is from a Yarwood's station boat.

It is but it was apparently converted to a motor by FM&C themselves. Previously being a horse boat.

Advert says "butty" but it was a horse drawn boat originally. Its a common mistake to call any unpowered narrow boat a "butty".

HRW3 comes up on Google image search as having a radiator on the flywheel end. 

Ex generator engine probably.

Edited by magnetman

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It is but it was apparently converted to a motor by FM&C themselves. Previously being a horse boat.

Advert says "butty" but it was a horse drawn boat originally. Its a common mistake to call any unpowered narrow boat a "butty".

Although I agree with you in principle this is not a finite description as when it was towed by a Steamer, or another horse boat it was a butty

And the motor conversion was carried out by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd., Northwich (Yard No. 592), with the remainder of the works completed by F.M.C. Ltd. at their Saltley Dock, Birmingham :captain:

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, TimYoung said:

Note the bow is from a Yarwood's station boat.

The bow was cut off by BWB for some reason or other several theory’s I believe one puts England at Harcastle tunnel as some sort of bridge/staging but I’m not getting into that one. So a new bow was needed so a station boat bow was used I quite like it. 

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If this isn't the highest asking price ever for an unconverted motor, it must surely come fairly close to it!

(OK, it probably isn't because some have attached silly numbers to their boats to test the waters, but I don't think any unconverted boats have ever sold at this kind pf money, have they?)

I realise that appearances can be deceptive, but she does look to be in very fine fettle - perhaps her condition has a bearing on the asking price?

6 hours ago, djgoode1980 said:

The bow was cut off by BWB for some reason or other several theory’s I believe one puts England at Harcastle tunnel as some sort of bridge/staging but I’m not getting into that one. So a new bow was needed so a station boat bow was used I quite like it. 

I think you could be correct on that Harecastle thing ,the bows were cut offto obtain the correct length to fit in between the wall & towpath between the 2 tunnels at the north end it just had a piece of flat plate across the boat to around half the side height IIRC 2 & a bit or 3 & a bit boats were used they had a couple top planks side by side length ways  I was told it was done as an early pleasure boat tried to go North/South through the Brindley tunnel.True or not I have no idea.

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

I realise that appearances can be deceptive, but she does look to be in very fine fettle - perhaps her condition has a bearing on the asking price?

The boat is, at the moment, owned by an ex working boater of rich canal family heritage. I had a good peruse of her earlier on this year, at the Marina where it is based. It is indeed in "fine fettle."  No connection BTW.

I'm sure that Russia has a station boat bow, grafted on after the original was removed to produce a flat front suitable for dredging. The new bow added to make it easier to sell on.

42 minutes ago, BWM said:

I'm sure that Russia has a station boat bow, grafted on after the original was removed to produce a flat front suitable for dredging. The new bow added to make it easier to sell on.

The boat now named RUSSIA is indeed a former F.M.C. Ltd. motor with an L.M.S.R. fore end. Prior to this it was Alan 'Caggy' Stevens dredger, and the L.M.S.R. fore end was fitted at his yard at Tipton in 1990 :captain:

15 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

The boat now named RUSSIA is indeed a former F.M.C. Ltd. motor with an L.M.S.R. fore end. Prior to this it was Alan 'Caggy' Stevens dredger, and the L.M.S.R. fore end was fitted at his yard at Tipton in 1990 :captain:

That matches what I had been told, the station boat portion hadn't held up as well as the josher part of the hull, which looked in excellent condition.