Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

ROE doesn't excite me, inside or out. I think within they've taken the 'Victorian' theme too far.

The 4LK powered miniature submarines during WWII, though with 57hp on tap, I don't think any land speed records ever got broken, though it seems Jaguar put one in their XK series. Wonder how that turned out.

Edited by Derek R.
Vid attached

17 hours ago, pete harrison said:

ROE has been for sale on Apollo Duck for a week or so, and as nobody has mentioned it yet here it is:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=521049

:captain:

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Gardner only built one type of engine then.....

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say here, but if it is that the engine is not fully identified it is within the free form text, but not in the bit that says "Engine:"

Seeing the outside pictures now does nothing more to endear me to it though, and certainly not at that price!

Edited by alan_fincher

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

TYCHO

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=473783

This is a repeat advert to the one that I responded to on 06 August last year, but now with a reduced price :captain:

Repeat slowly.......

I already have one.  I already have one................................

Can't remember previous price, but I'm sure it was a lot more than this, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Repeat slowly.......

I already have one.  I already have one................................

Can't remember previous price, but I'm sure it was a lot more than this, wasn't it?

TYCHO was advertised on 22 May 2016 at £52500, then re-advertised in July 2017 at £45000 before taking the advert down on 17 September 2016.

As I have stated before (and I know current owners disagree) the evidence I collate shows that the vast majority of 'historic' narrow boats sell for around two thirds of the initial asking price, and that is where I stood with TYCHO - in fact I was a couple of grand above two thirds. I was very disappointed that the owner did not get back to me as I have known TYCHO since I was a boy and it ranks in my top five 'historic' narrow boats :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

As I have stated before (and I know current owners disagree) the evidence I collate shows that the vast majority of 'historic' narrow boats sell for around two thirds of the initial asking price

I am genuinely intrigued as to how you get to know what the boats eventually change hands for.

That's not something I would claim to know about most, and indeed I don't even know the final figure for boats we tried to buy, but which sold to someone else..

Do you know what we paid for either of the ones we do own?  I would genuinely have liked to buy either at two thirds of the figure first asked!  In both cases that would have been hugely less than we ended up paying.  Whilst it certainly felt we were paying over the odds, all I can say is that for other boats we hoped we could buy, we lost out, because someone else got in and quickly sealed a deal at a higher figure than we thought was reasonable.

It's a strange old market though.  I have no idea what interest the current owners have had in ones that have remained advertised at an unaltered price, but clearly there are some that haven't sold, but there has as yet been no concession on the published asking price, (Acacia, for example).

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I am genuinely intrigued as to how you get to know what the boats eventually change hands for.

It is pretty simple as the new owner of almost every 'historic' boat that is sold gets in touch with me, and I track the advertised prices (where publicly available) as a part of my 'research'.

I suppose it all depends on how much somebody wants a particular boat, and whether they buy with their heart or their head :captain:

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

It is pretty simple as the new owner of almost every 'historic' boat that is sold gets in touch with me, and I track the advertised prices (where publicly available) as a part of my 'research'.

I suppose it all depends on how much somebody wants a particular boat, and whether they buy with their heart or their head :captain:

Fair enough!  I certainly got in touch with you, but can't recall disclosing price(s) paid.  I think I might have been too embarrassed to do that, but maybe my memory fails me, (again!).

It also has to be said that I have not managed to buy a boat, let alone for two thirds of its original asking price :captain:

I don't know if my reputation goes before me but I have recently been expressing interest in a boat and after two exchanges of e-mail the advert has been taken down and I have heard nothing from the seller since - and we did not get as far as discussing money !!!

Edited by pete harrison

• 4 weeks later...

Otley looks interesting. 

Assuming I have rhe right boat she seems to have had quite a lot of steel work added over the hold.

I believe this is her on Google satellite here 

Dropped pin

near Mapledurham
Reading

https://goo.gl/maps/MTbDCkzqrnQ2

Could be a very nice project for someone. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The dates shown on the page would imply the picture is at least 9 years old, I think.

It seems recent pictures of Otley are hard to come by, and I can't turn up any that relate to....

also has the start of a steel top which was for a work shop this would be easy to remove

These pictures from the blog of narrow boat Moore 2 Life claim to be August 2005 at Penkridge, amd clearly pre-date the start of construction of a "steel top".

0508penkridge1.jpg

0508penkridge2.jpg

Looked smart enough then.

The Perkin's engine (a D3?) is well enough respected, but would not I suggest be many people's choice in a "grand Union" boat - though several have had, or do still have them, (or similar) -  (Badsey, Baldock and Bicester for starters).

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It seems recent pictures of Otley are hard to come by, and I can't turn up any that relate to....

These pictures from the blog of narrow boat Moore 2 Life claim to be August 2005 at Penkridge, amd clearly pre-date the start of construction of a "steel top".

0508penkridge1.jpg

0508penkridge2.jpg

Looked smart enough then.

The Perkin's engine (a D3?) is well enough respected, but would not I suggest be many people's choice in a "grand Union" boat - though several have had, or do still have them, (or similar) -  (Badsey, Baldock and Bicester for starters).

Badsey was re-engined a good few years ago. It now has the original engine  (same serial number!l

Edited by Liam