Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Owl for sale?

That's Jims boat from this forum. Suprised its on the market. Been onboard briefly and it has a fantastic feeling = like an old pair of favourite shoes. Must resist.....

Edited by mark99

Owl for sale?

That's Jims boat from this forum. Suprised its on the market. Been onboard briefly and it has a fantastic feeling = like an old pair of favourite shoes. Must resist.....

Yes. I'm astonished he's selling up. It's a delightful and much loved boat.

Are you ok Jim?

Yes. I'm astonished he's selling up. It's a delightful and much loved boat.

Are you ok Jim?

Thanks for your concern Mike. Yes I'm fine. It's just that maintaining two historic boats is proving a bit of a burden.

We're having a great deal of work being done on Hampton and, planning ahead, that's the boat we think will be much easier to handle when we reach our dotage. It'll be a wrench letting the Kelvin go, but I'd rather sell Owl when it's in tip top condition. I've seen too many historic boats rapidly deteriorate when their owners can't give them the attention they deserve.

With a bit of luck Hampton will be ready in time for Braunston - all resplendent.

post-5123-0-84690400-1484611136_thumb.jpg post-5123-0-82114800-1484611137_thumb.jpg

The rear end was in a very sorry state - corroding from the inside - and the wooden cabin which constantly needed patching up is being replaced in steel.

(Sorry this is rather wandering off the subject of the thread)

Owl for sale?

Jim kindly took me round the Braunston Parade on Owl a couple of years ago. It / she is indeed a wonderful well kitted out and much cared for boat.

Edited by Ray T

Jim was telling people last year that he would be selling Owl as soon as he had got Hampton ready. I seem to remember him stating that with a much shallower draught, he would was looking forward to exploring canals that had prooved too shallow for Owl.

Edited by David Schweizer

http://commercial.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=502732

Wonder if I could get this round the Four Counties Ring.

Edible oil tanker?

I'm not sure I could finish a whole one!

(Bugger! - Beaten to it by about 5 seconds!).

Edited by alan_fincher

http://commercial.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=502732

Wonder if I could get this round the Four Counties Ring.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the first working boats I ever saw. I used to love to stand on the New Chester Road bridge & watch these barges work in from the Mersey & Bromborough Pool Dock into Lever Bros Works, Port Sunlight. On a Friday evening, my Dad would take some of the barge men their wages.

That really is a big Northwich! Now where could we do a fuel round with that ;-)

I'm pretty sure this is one of the first working boats I ever saw. I used to love to stand on the New Chester Road bridge & watch these barges work in from the Mersey & Bromborough Pool Dock into Lever Bros Works, Port Sunlight. On a Friday evening, my Dad would take some of the barge men their wages.

That really is a big Northwich! Now where could we do a fuel round with that ;-)

Does this bring back memories?

gallery_6938_2_95037.jpg

Does this bring back memories?

gallery_6938_2_95037.jpg

Brilliant, that really does bring back those memories.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

It's incredible to think that's all filled in now, such a shame they can no longer have supplies brought in by water.

Cheers, Brian

• 2 weeks later...