Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

John lived in peacock for many years and its not the tallest of boats.

People like john jinks lived on tco boats there very low cabin space

Some people live (survive is a better word) in tents that are even lower, compaired to nothing it's always better.

Peter.

To anybody who is used to the back cabins of traditional working boats, that sounds quite generous!

EDITED TO ADD:

Even to a committed narrow boat enthusiast, that really is rather lovely, isn't it?

If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I thought that she's a pretty little boat.

Only the height wouldn't be comfortable to live in unless you're fairly short.

You can fool me, but don't fool yourself saying that you can comfortably live in a space with so little height even less so when you're taller than 5ft4'

Of course you can live in it (if you can call that living) which would make you having to live bend over if you have to stand up.

Peter.

edited for the use of the wrong words

Edited by bargemast

Not much detail

You are not far wrong there!

At least we are told it has a fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble drier.

A shame they have omitted to tell us almost anything at all about the boat itself.

1 out of 10 for effort, (but only if I'm being generous!).

• Greenie 1

You are not far wrong there!

At least we are told it has a fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble drier.

A shame they have omitted to tell us almost anything at all about the boat itself.

1 out of 10 for effort, (but only if I'm being generous!).

They do say that she has a Lister HA2, so what could possibly go wrong?

Very fond memories of Fern as it was the first real boat I ever steered but now imho has a rather unsympathetic conversion. Rumoured also to be too wide to get through Hurleston and off the Llangollen (it was craned in.)

Paul

Very fond memories of Fern as it was the first real boat I ever steered but now imho has a rather unsympathetic conversion. Rumoured also to be too wide to get through Hurleston and off the Llangollen (it was craned in.)

Paul

Yes curiously clumsy back cabin shape in the photo posted by Chris-B. Presumably done by someone who saw no aesthetic value in the conventional rising handrail shape of most back cabins.

Rumoured also to be too wide to get through Hurleston and off the Llangollen (it was craned in.)

Paul

The owner told me this a few years ago. I cannot imagine that the boat has grown wider since the 1970s - it was never a problem then( I don't know if it ever was tried at Hurleston,but ok everywhere else). She spent several years on the bank at Ellesmere Port, with the wood bottoms removed, did she get a steel bottom in the end?

Yes curiously clumsy back cabin shape in the photo posted by Chris-B. Presumably done by someone who saw no aesthetic value in the conventional rising handrail shape of most back cabins.

I thought that too - it reminds me of the peculiar styling of the Range Rover Evoque which looks as if a giant has trodden on the back of its roof.

I thought that too - it reminds me of the peculiar styling of the Range Rover Evoque which looks as if a giant has trodden on the back of its roof.

There is some historical provenance for back cabins that appera to slope down towards the back, rather than upwards, but not I believe in any ex FMC craft.

This doesn't show it that well, but I couldn't quickly find a real photo.

NB_Spring_2011_cover.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

There is some historical provenance for back cabins that appera to slope down towards the back, rather than upwards, but not I believe in any ex FMC craft.

This doesn't show it that well, but I couldn't quickly find a real photo.

NB_Spring_2011_cover.jpg

I'm absolutely no expert but it is my understanding that most FMC Back Cabins ran pretty much straight without any kick up towards the counter. The rise in the gunwale gave the illusion that the cabin was tapering towards the counter whereas the cabin roof followed the line of the bottom of the hull. This was certainly the case with Bison in the old pre conversion photos, the illusion was maintained when we replaced the cabin which remains the right height for the original swan neck.

It does look a bit strange when you first see it but I quite like it now!

Andrew

I'm absolutely no expert but it is my understanding that most FMC Back Cabins ran pretty much straight without any kick up towards the counter. The rise in the gunwale gave the illusion that the cabin was tapering towards the counter whereas the cabin roof followed the line of the bottom of the hull. This was certainly the case with Bison in the old pre conversion photos, the illusion was maintained when we replaced the cabin which remains the right height for the original swan neck.

It does look a bit strange when you first see it but I quite like it now!

Andrew

Absolutely correct, FMC drawings confirm this, all had a flat roof whilst the bottom line followed the sweep of the hull.