Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

What ought to happen is CRT buy it and display it "as is" under cover after treating the timber, as we have Friendship preserved why not a fairly original motor?

Why add another one to the list of craft they don't have the funds or resources to look after.

• Greenie 1

I'd have to deconvert it and get that bow higher in the air.

Automatic right of way at bridge holes.

Are you strong enough to start it?

ENGINE AND POWER

•Lister JP2M

•Hand start

Richard

Well I spent long enough hand starting an AS3 so I think I can manage.

How much do you charge? I could do with you when my starter motor packs up from too much liquid getting to it and it just decides it cant be assed that morning and i have to wait hours for the hangover to go.

I just find the royalty class too big the counter is nearly as big as my cabin.

Although i would love one for the room and weight you could put in them

Deep draught 1.52m giving exceptional headroom

Well I think I know what they mean, but if the actual draught were almost 5 feet, it's not going far on many of our canals, (or even over many of the lock cills!).

Interestingly when advertised for sale in January 2013 (different owner) the asking price was £65000 compared to the current asking price of £60000.

I recently bought an nicely decorated but unused handbowl off the previous owners of DUKE, complete with a dent in the bottom rim where it fell off its hook onto the cabin floor captain.gif

Interestingly when advertised for sale in January 2013 (different owner) the asking price was £65000 compared to the current asking price of £60000.

I recently bought an nicely decorated but unused handbowl off the previous owners of DUKE, complete with a dent in the bottom rim where it fell off its hook onto the cabin floor captain.gif

Did you pay £5,000 for the hand bowl, as that could explain why the boat is now £5,000 less. :wacko:

Are you strong enough to start it?

Richard

Unless the figures in the advert are erroneous, it would be of little use on most of our canals, as it has a claimed width of about 9 feet and a draught of 5 feet - though perhaps the elasticity which reduces its length from 72.5 feet in the heading to 71.5 feet in the text may help it along its way.

Surely the "vast battery bank" could drive an electric starter motor?

Surely the "vast battery bank" could drive an electric starter motor?

As I understand it, the problem with some of the vintage engines is that whilst they can of course be converted to electric start, the cost of so doing can be very substantial, even if you can acquire the bits.

I'm sure someone will immediately say this is nonsense, but one ex GUCCCo boat we considered still had a hand srart National, and it was suggested to me that making it electric start could easily cost £4K. (Still a bargain versus £18K for a Gardner, of course, but still not an insubstantial amount to add to the £50K to £60K to buy a historic boat in the first place.)

As I understand it, the problem with some of the vintage engines is that whilst they can of course be converted to electric start, the cost of so doing can be very substantial, even if you can acquire the bits.

I'm sure someone will immediately say this is nonsense, but one ex GUCCCo boat we considered still had a hand srart National, and it was suggested to me that making it electric start could easily cost £4K. (Still a bargain versus £18K for a Gardner, of course, but still not an insubstantial amount to add to the £50K to £60K to buy a historic boat in the first place.)

Most old engines with an exposed flywheel can be fitted simply with electric start by mounting a starter motor to one side fitted with a rubber wheel that can be levered against the outer edge of the flywheel.

I have seen this successfully applied to a JP2.

George ex nb Alton retired

Unless the figures in the advert are erroneous, it would be of little use on most of our canals, as it has a claimed width of about 9 feet and a draught of 5 feet - though perhaps the elasticity which reduces its length from 72.5 feet in the heading to 71.5 feet in the text may help it along its way.

Yes, very erroneous of course.

It is a Royalty class motor, so same basic dimensions as Mike Askin's Victoria, that travels to many far flung places, or to William that actually won the BCN challenge last year, with butty in tow.

It will be close on the length and width limit of many narrow locks, as most ex GUCCCO boats are. The working draught need be no more that 3 feet. The 5 feet (or so) being quoted is the complete depth of the hull sides on a Royalty class boat. They have massively deep holds compared to most working boats, but that usually just means there is more hull above the water line, and the amount beneath it is similar.

The advert is sloppy, and could be far better written.

Electric start on a JP is pretty common. My guess is that hand starting has been listed as a feature and the engine already has electric start which wasn't thought worthy of mention

Anyone have personal experience of Duke?

Richard

The advert is sloppy, and could be far better written.

That's a better way of saying what I just did

Electric start on a JP is pretty common. My guess is that hand starting has been listed as a feature and the engine already has electric start which wasn't thought worthy of mention

Anyone have personal experience of Duke?

Yes, I agree many, (most?) JPs in canal boats are electric start.

However, overall, I have been surprised how many "historics", (not necessarily with JPs) don't have it, (and I'm not even considering the "semis").

I don't know Duke, but I would take the advert wording to mean "hand start only", but given the quality of the advert overall, you could just as easily be right!

Indeed but if there is no ring gear on the flywheel then the solutions are expensive and, in my experience, unnecessary.

It's an age thing. Engines I might easily have started in my 20s, I'm no longer able to in my 60s, and with a fairly bad and permanent shoulder injury. Hopefully the availability of electric start will keep me boating a few more years yet!

I'd have to deconvert it and get that bow higher in the air.

Automatic right of way at bridge holes.

I found that out when meeting William on a blind bend through a bridge hole earlier this year. The fact I was steering a pair also didn't help :)

It's an age thing. Engines I might easily have started in my 20s, I'm no longer able to in my 60s, and with a fairly bad and permanent shoulder injury. Hopefully the availability of electric start will keep me boating a few more years yet!

Yes, on reflection it is over 10 years since I swung a starting handle and I'm not sure I should be quite so blasé about my cranking abilities these days.

Yes, on reflection it is over 10 years since I swung a starting handle and I'm not sure I should be quite so blasé about my cranking abilities these days.

Quite!

I have an air cooled Ruston Hornsby in the workshop that I can't start - I run out of puff before it turns fast enough

Richard