Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I am surprised nobody has spotted this 'historic' narrow boat that has been on Apollo Duck for at least a couple of weeks now:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=468829

perhaps it has been missed because it is in the Semi Traditional section captain.gif

Interesting that the 'cratch' is full cabin section rather that tapering to a working boat style deck board. More room inside, but perhaps less easy for boarding.

(Edited as unable to post image on my phone)

Edited by David Mack

I seem to remember the fore end of Grange is on rather a nice motor conversion with a Kelvin J2(?) in it. Possibly a Malcolm Braine boat but not sure about that.

Edited by magnetman

Interesting that the 'cratch' is full cabin section rather that tapering to a working boat style deck board. More room inside, but perhaps less easy for boarding.

(Edited as unable to post image on my phone)

And ugly as hell.

Hmmm.

61 feet 18 inches long by 5 feet 18 inches wide??

The summary says it has an engine, but the description says the engine is in Bristol and for sale separately.

It's a Sheffield size so should be approx. 61'6" by 15'6".

If anyone has been dreaming of doing up a Sheffield keel I would encourage them to have a look. I hadn't thought there were any more left unconverted at this point.

Looks nice. My favourite type of barge but ita too wide for my residential mooring.

Not sure how old Historic needs to be for this thread but this is interesting (1950s). http://barges.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=470980

A bit too long for my mooring :banghead:

My current favourite-https://m.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=409805

Mabel and Forget me Not are now listed on Ebay.

Sadly I think the price is unrealistic considering the boats out there that are in better order but at a much lower price (starting at "free to good home")

Edited to add Clicky

Edited by carlt

Does say best offer on the description, so RLWP here's your chance to get into wooden boating.

My stay on Hazel was enough to put me off tatty wooden boats for life!

Richard

MORE: only one of those photos is similar to how they are today. Both are on the bottom and have been for years. Mabel hasn't been adequately covered for years either

Edited by RLWP

Richard

Hmm, that sounds derogatory to Hazel. For clarity, Hazel is a wonderful result of a lot of hard work and money.

Conversations on Hazel about what to expect from tatty old wooden boats was enough to put me off tatty wooden boats for life! Starting from 'If you find a rotten hole in the wood, the mycelium fungus will have spread three feet in all directions from that'. The side of a boat is around six foot high

Richard

Hmm, that sounds derogatory to Hazel.

Yes, it could easily have been read that way, and although I felt sure that was not what you meant, I'm glad you have clarified it.

Some time back we were lucky enough to share a meal table with the new owners of the other wooden "Hazel", (the Nurser built Barlows one). They seemed very realistic about just what they had taken on, without excess use of rose tinted spectacles, and I would dearly like to think it will now survive, but looking at it stood on hard-standing it looks an absolutely massive task to my untrained eye. I sincerely hope they can save what is another very historic boat.

Yes, it could easily have been read that way, and although I felt sure that was not what you meant, I'm glad you have clarified it.

Some time back we were lucky enough to share a meal table with the new owners of the other wooden "Hazel", (the Nurser built Barlows one). They seemed very realistic about just what they had taken on, without excess use of rose tinted spectacles, and I would dearly like to think it will now survive, but looking at it stood on hard-standing it looks an absolutely massive task to my untrained eye. I sincerely hope they can save what is another very historic boat.

The general view seems to be, take on a boat in the state of Mabel and FMN, you are getting a set of knees and something to measure up to build a replica

I'd still love to own them through - it's sad to see the end of two more wooden boats

Richard

I'd still love to own them through - it's sad to see the end of two more wooden boats

My gut feel, (and I admit I know sod all about wooden boats) is that the asking price for that pair needs the decimal point moved one position to the left.

Like you, I hope someone who knows enough and can spend enough takes them on. I think it is inevitable that the number of wooden boats will continue to dwindle, and visiting any significant historic boat even gives the impression that the vast majority of carrying narrow boats must have been iron or steel. Of course even in 1970 when the very last regular long distance coal traffic ceased wooden boats were in use to the very end.

Alan am I right in thinking the Hazel is on the bank at Clifton cruisers in Rugby? I saw what I thought was her poking through the the trees at the top of the bank. I hope she gets the love she deserved. We looked at her when she as advertised and was lying at Pigeon Lock. The same planks need replacing as did in 1993!

Regards

Dan

Richard

MORE: only one of those photos is similar to how they are today. Both are on the bottom and have been for years. Mabel hasn't been adequately covered for years either

I know exactly what you mean. As much as I like wooden boats. I couldn't contemplate taking one on. I think that it takes a special kind of madness. It's bad enough having a big old steel boat.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

When I was looking for my first narrow boat in 1994 I went to Cosgrove to see a 36ft Springer. While walking along the towpath near the acqueduct I got talking to someone in an old wooden workboat. When i said about the boat I had come to see they eloquently explained that if you get a piece of wood and put it in the water it floats - get a piece of metal and it sinks. Strangely it seems to be the opposite when it comes to canal boats !