Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I’m sure I saw TOWY on the Thames tied up to the bankside just below Sonning last weekend. On her way to a new home perhaps?

No it's travelling up to Godalming. Then I presume back.

There is now only one "Towy", a Thos Clayton motor boat built of wood.

Thats will be the one. She is going down the Thames this week? Pos next week.

I was hoping to do the handover at crick but it will be off the thames when we do the hand over.

Yes when I spoke to the boat owner and published in here the photo of her heading upstream at Pyrfold Lock on River Wey Nav mid last week, they were heading to Godalming.

One supposes they have winded at Godalming come back along Wey nav , re-joined Thames and heading into the GU at Brentford.

Sold to me it needs 3 bottoms and the inside back cabin building

I owned Towy at one stage and I can happily say it was the most interesting boat I ever had. Fun events included nearly sinking in Blisworth tunnel, the gearbox snapping whilst being interviewed by the BBC approaching Stoke Bruerne locks, getting a barbed wire fence (plus posts) stuck round the prop and having to dive in to cut it off in March and catching the rudder on the cill causing it to drop off.

And then I sold it.

LIfe became rather dull after that so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Greenie 1

Yes you can ask.

National already fitted but would only be started with a generous application of easy start. Even in summer.

Must have been swapped in late 60s the which would stack up as was removed in early 60s from Corolla (im guess the easy start was the reason for removal to start with) kind of nice they used all the engines rods though

National already fitted but would only be started with a generous application of easy start. Even in summer.

Must have been swapped in late 60s the which would stack up as was removed in early 60s from Corolla (im guess the easy start was the reason for removal to start with) kind of nice they used all the engines rods though

Can I suggest you stop jumping to conclusions and do some research as much of the information you are after is freely available. You also have direct access to a private archive and an archivist who has managed it for several years.

If you had done some research then you would know that all of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. / 'British Waterways' southern carrying fleet motor boats (non F.M.C. Ltd.) had their engines removed for full reconditioning every few years, meaning that very few motor boats retained their original engines for long - let alone into the 1960's and these few exceptions tended to be maintenance boats anyway.

I can confirm that the engine removed from COROLLA as WATER WAGTAIL was not its original National (I have the serial number) captain.gif

had their engines removed for full reconditioning every few years,

Makes perfect sense. Recondition a motor and swap it into the next boat. That way a boat is only out of use for a short time

Richard