Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

But you will also consider a Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. built motor according to post number 3146 captain.gif

I may not get a choice wife wants a boat with a practical engine and some creature comforts but i want wood. (She has also decided she want a boat that dosnt need massive work before we can use it)

So yes my direct choice is tco or fmc. But there getting fewer and fewer. So i may have to compromise.

My other problem is if i got tco boat i would want a bolinder back in it. (Wife dosnt like them she dosnt like the blowlamps)

So kent its a sort of both win both loose but im not so convinced as i have the feeling i would always be on the look out.

We looked at ian but ran from that.

Edited by billybobbooth

Advert for ALPERTON removed from Apollo Duck website after only 8 days - sold or fed up with daft questions ?

Time will tell I guess. Would have been nice to see some more photos looked in lovely condition. Some showing the hold might also have reduced the how many bedrooms type of questions they inevitably received!

Post Number 2637 of this thread, and then the next dozen or so posts captain.gif

Fair enough, but that's lots of months ago.

I don't think it has been advertised in the last few months until now, (or has it?)

Fair enough, but that's lots of months ago.

I don't think it has been advertised in the last few months until now, (or has it?)

04 November 2015, so not quite 6 months ago. Back then it was advertised by an individual, whereas it is now advertised via a broker. I suspect it has been for sale for the entire period between these two adverts, and although it has dropped by £5500 its appeal has not increased to my eye captain.gif

04 November 2015, so not quite 6 months ago. Back then it was advertised by an individual, whereas it is now advertised via a broker. I suspect it has been for sale for the entire period between these two adverts, and although it has dropped by £5500 its appeal has not increased to my eye captain.gif

Fair enough - like several other posters I suspect, I don't check back a full 6 months in this extensive thread when something pops up that wasn't there (say) a month ago.

It doesn't appeal to me much either, I'll admit, but I do (curiously) like the amalgam of BCN boat and Josher which is "Bream".

Different things clearly appeal to different people, and someone who would like some real rivets might just fall in love with this one!

Interesting, the "Jump To Post" facility no longer works for me. I put 2637 into the box and it returns me to this page.

I didn't know there was one - how did you use to do it?

I didn't know there was one - how did you use to do it?

Top of page just under the title, click on where it says "Page 159 of 159", and a drop down box appears for me, inviting me to enter a page number to "jump to". Except it doesn't!

Top of page just under the title, click on where it says "Page 159 of 159", and a drop down box appears for me, inviting me to enter a page number to "jump to". Except it doesn't!

Ermm,

That is jump to PAGE, not to POST. There is no PAGE 2637 in this thread - perhaps why it isn't working for you?

Insane to eyewatering.

Compared with what one might have to pay for a modern boat of similar size with a high specification and a nice traditional engine, this is surely a competitive price, is it not?

Compared with what one might have to pay for a modern boat of similar size with a high specification and a nice traditional engine, this is surely a competitive price, is it not?

If a historic boat is competitively priced then in my experience somebody will already have bought it.

I have not seen the boat involved here, only the details, but I think even the reduced price seems in cloud cuckoo land

I'm not aware of anything coming close to that kind of selling price in recent times.

If a historic boat is competitively priced then in my experience somebody will already have bought it.

I have not seen the boat involved here, only the details, but I think even the reduced price seems in cloud cuckoo land

I'm not aware of anything coming close to that kind of selling price in recent times.

Perhaps it is not traditional enough to appeal to the enthusiast of historic boats, while the leisure buyer seeking a "trad style" will tend to seek a s/h Norton Canes or Steve Hudson, so this boat falls between two stools. Certainly, long modern boats in what many people would consider "trad style" can sell for six figures; one was featured in these pages only last week.

Perhaps it is not traditional enough to appeal to the enthusiast of historic boats, while the leisure buyer seeking a "trad style" will tend to seek a s/h Norton Canes or Steve Hudson, so this boat falls between two stools. Certainly, long modern boats in what many people would consider "trad style" can sell for six figures; one was featured in these pages only last week.

I think a probable difference is that it you buy a recently built second-hand boat from one of the more prestige builders like (say) Norton Canes, R W Davies or (grudging cough!) Steve Hudson, you know that no part (except possibly the engine!) is older than the build date.

With the best will in the world, if you buy a conversion of an 80 year old working boat, some bits may be as new as in the modern boats listed above, but hopefully much of the visible bits will be 80 years old. At one end of the spectrum, some of the 80 year old bits will be almost as good as new, whereas at the other end they may have still been serviceable when last checked say 6 years ago, but it was anticipated that further work would be needed before long.

In my (admittedly relatively limited) experience, however any such boat is actually marketed, most new owners will not be unsurprised if before long they are spending further money on a genuine historic, that they almost certainly would not be on an NC, RWD or SMH, (unless rivets needed gluing back on. of course).

In our search for a full length converted historic, one of the best known surveyors suggested to be that unless a boat was truly exceptional, or particularly sought after because of an individual history, it is very very unlikely to be saleable at anything more than £70K tops, and usually the top price will be less than that. This was a bit of a reality check, because for most of is it means if we do manage to secure a boat needing work at say the £50K mark. if that work exceeds (say) £25K, we can more or less guarantee we are not going to ever get back what we spend.

There are several nice looking full length converted boats on the open market right now, (although they contain different amounts of original boat) at asking prices above £65K, and all seem slow to find a buyer. At least one has been on so long that one imagines if it is to be sold the owner will need to take a significantly lower offer.

I think most owners of historics know and accept this. Unlike former work colleagues I don't take frequent and highly expensive holidays abroad,

(Ashes tours and safaris spring to mind), but I do spend a great deal owning two historic boats. That said I don't think my former colleagues understand why I find a week on the BCN a more exciting prospect than what they do.

(Apologies for any typos, literally just back from shoulder surgery, andone arm currently completely out of use!.......)

• Greenie 2