Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I think forward is a still living example of boats that were modified from the 60 s onwards and loved by impecunious enthusiasts. There are many motors that are the fronts of butty's and plenty that are the backs lightly modified. Forward is a lovely period piece from a time when de converting residential boats would have had the sellers scratching their heads, and wondering in awe about the wealth of those who could afford a boat and not live on it.

I hope she goes to an enthusiast who will maintain the love, personally she would make us a great second boat, and there's the flaw...

Can I make a polite request please?

I'm always interested when an historic boat comes up for sale but this topic appears to have gone off-topic and at 148 pages. Would anyone object to restarting the topic?

Have a lovely day all!

There is nothing to stop you restarting the topic Mark. It's a good way of finding out if you have support for your idea

Richard

• Greenie 1

My apologies Delta & Athy. Thought it was about a boat being built for someone and other stuff pages ago. It's only the flood of emails with forums, FB etc. Getting old!

Not looking anyway, just interested. Had my dream boat years ago in the form of Marcellus and having made a compromise with a Northwich Trader, advancing years/pain, 30 tons, deep draft and no bow-thruster have now succumbed to something more practical. Albeit with a 3L2! So, who's off topic now? "What, I'm the bad guy?" (Name that film). :-)

There is nothing to stop you restarting the topic Mark. It's a good way of finding out if you have support for your idea

Richard

Thanks Richard, don't want to upset the apple cart or coal boat or whatever!

Can I make a polite request please?

I'm always interested when an historic boat comes up for sale but this topic appears to have gone off-topic and at 148 pages. Would anyone object to restarting the topic?

Have a lovely day all!

If its not about historic boats for sale what do you think its about?

It's going to be interesting" to be stood directly on top of an air cooled Lister HR2. ("Half past three!"......)

With that much power in only 42 feet of boat, I imagine it moves along well.

Seems incredible that a brokerage based where the largest historic boat show takes place can't work out which end of a butty they are looking at, though!

You can appreciate the sound of it but you can't appreciate the sound of much else. Our two previous boats 'Octavia' and 'Batto' had this exposed rear engine configuration - with a Petter PH2 and a Rigas Dizelis PM24. One did get used to smiling nicely at passing boaters, as one could see their lips move but could not hear 90% of what they were saying.

We had a rear engined Ruston 3VSH, 90% would have been a very very good day. Your own thoughts were inaudible at times.

Forward is indeed Tom Chaplin's old boat. I recall lettering it at Birmingham in the summer of 2000, when there was a canal event based at the ICC. It's full of history and deserves a caring new owner.

Tom has commissioned a new boat from CTS at Norton Canes. The stern is a patterned replica of the bow of the original motor with a swim beneath. I'm there regularly and have followed progress with interest, it will be an eye catching craft when complete. Steelwork can't be far away from being finished now...it's given Andy, the boatbuilder, a few head scratching moments during construction.

Cheers

Dave

I remember Forward at Icknield port when the heritage fleet were based there, her cabin lines never seemed to flow as well as our old boat Norwind's did, same length and basic configuration.

Sorry smiley_offtopic.gif

Forward is surely the back of Forward, which is why the front is decorated as a stern

I have always admired Forward for that bit of honesty

Richard

Would that be the Station boat at that time full length up for sale at Braunston more or less just a hull in the mid 1960's? IIrc that boat had no Keelson or was/is there more than 1 "Forward"

She does look rather antiseptic, a word I'd rarely use about old boats. Obviously much good work has been done, but the inside is still a bit stark - I suppose in brokerese "waiting for you to stamp your personality on it".

I wonder what the story is then?

Was for sale, I think, about last August.

Then definitely seemed to not be being marketed.

Now for sale, saying with a subsequent survey (Oct 15).

Anybody know?

I see Greenlaw is now "deposit received"

Same type of base boat as "Beaulieu", of course, ("Large Woolwich"), but now two very different boats.

"Cabin" versus "Under Cloth" conversion

Water cooled JP2 versus air cooled Lister H series engine

Natural wood finishes versus lots of white.

Obviously one needs to see both in the flesh to get a real idea, but with the "asking" for Greenlaw being £65K, I really struggle with the "asking" for Beaulieu being about 50% more.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I see Greenlaw is now "deposit received"

Same type of base boat as "Beaulieu", of course, ("Large Woolwich"), but now two very different boats.

"Cabin" versus "Under Cloth" conversion

Water cooled JP2 versus air cooled Lister H series engine

Natural wood finishes versus lots of white.

Obviously one needs to see both in the flesh to get a real idea, but with the "asking" for Greenlaw being £65K, I really struggle with the "asking" for Beaulieu being about 50% more.

Am I missing something obvious here?

If it is obvious I dont see it either, maybe its all to do with the purchase price for the present owner? Paid more for it wants to recoup as much as possible?

I know of an unconverted motor for sale. PM me for details.

Only joking.

TAY now has a 'For Sale' sign on its roof in the marina.

Whilst I think it has been for sale for quite a while, it's probably stayed under a few radars as as far as I know it's not been advertised online yet.

Greenlaw gone, the new owners moved on tonight.

I will have my camera ready in the morning! So pleased for them.

Is Tadworth still for sale? I haven't seen mention of it for a while.

I just wrote a long message a day then lost it.

I don't know is the honest answer. Last advert in saw was a couple of years ago for about £25k. I did contact the owner 18 (ish) months ago who said they were going to do some work on it themselves and then re-advertise it. No idea whether that's happened or not, but I think the owner is a forum member.

Junior, I wish them luck also, after all the hassle they've been through. Just need to see if he can start it, especially after his comment today, is there an app for remote starting a JP2. ??

Edited by andyb116