Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

L&L Short Boats:

Lake: http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=437658 Is this really 150 years old?

Arthur (ex Mersey): http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=402999 , Previously owned by John Liley and Richard Branson

And Yorkshire Keel Snipe http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=388815

Arthur sold a while ago and now resides on the Leeds Liverpool near Burscough.

I don't know if it is of interest to anyone reading this thread, as there seems to be some confusion whether "Taurus" should be named "Crater".

Way back in 1989 I was offered an un-converted Middle Woolwich butty named "Taurus" for sale at £5,500. I didn't purchase it but still have a copy of the sale particulars.

I don't know if it is of interest to anyone reading this thread, as there seems to be some confusion whether "Taurus" should be named "Crater".

Way back in 1989 I was offered an un-converted Middle Woolwich butty named "Taurus" for sale at £5,500. I didn't purchase it but still have a copy of the sale particulars.

Depends which Taurus your referring to. The ex Midlands and coast Northwich built butty that's got an fmc style bow or the ex guccc Northwich butty both of which worked for the same hotel boat company. The guccc being ex crater and the Midlands and coast was also named turtle.

The Taurus, the middle Northwich butty, was retrieved from Devon about six years-ish ago by a hopeful 'enthusiast' and was then promptly sold for a figure around 7K iirc.

I believe she is now, or certainly was, plying coal etc in or around London.

The original hotel boat the Taurus is lodged on the offside in Woodseaves cutting or thereabouts and the current hotel boat carrying that name is indeed the Crater, minus it's footings.

The Taurus, the middle Northwich butty, was retrieved from Devon about six years-ish ago by a hopeful 'enthusiast' and was then promptly sold for a figure around 7K iirc.

The original hotel boat the Taurus is lodged on the offside in Woodseaves cutting or thereabouts and the current hotel boat carrying that name is indeed the Crater, minus it's footings.

I have always wondered about that boat in woodseeves cutting. Thank you for that ☺

The Taurus in Woodseave is Ariel's original butty from the Midlands & Coast days.

I've always wanted to get a picture of them together but didn't want to just tie up without asking permission first.

The boat which was retrieved from the Grand Western Canal in Devon is Hyades

Yes, I think Taurus the middle Northwich in London is often paired with Denebola, and I think is one of Pete Wakeham's fleet.

Esit- unless it's moved, I think I last saw it down the Paddington arm with Cygnus this year at Cavalcade

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Yes, I think Taurus the middle Northwich in London is often paired with Denebola, and I think is one of Pete Wakeham's fleet.

Esit- unless it's moved, I think I last saw it down the Paddington arm with Cygnus this year at Cavalcade

I'm sure Denebola moved on from the Wakehams fleet when i was still boating in London. I think it went to Brinklow or somewhere like that.

He now does his coal road with the butty and a push tug as far as i know.

Yes Denebola is now part of the Brinklow fleet, and was used to transport the old sides of Capricorn from Stockton to Brinklow for lengthening Capricorn.

Some pictures on the BBS website...

http://www.brinklowboatservices.com/restoration-work/capricorn-lengtened/

Things have reversed a bit since that posting......

Capricorn is now complete, steel work wise, and back in the water being fitted.

Meanwhile Denebola is firmly on the bank in the middle of some major steelwork, and with much of its wooden bottoms also currently missing.

As far as I remember, (we have just spent a week moored in their yard), the intention is to keep Denebola composite.

Yes I did think it was a rather old post, having passed the longer Capricorn on the North Oxford at some point in early August.

Good news about Denebola getting it's turn for some TLC.

smiley_offtopic.gif - None of the following boats are for sale!

Denebola

IMG_0750_zpsokvouvtn.jpg

Capricorn (Sorry about picture quality, there wasn't enough room to ge through at first, and we were trying not to damage Paul's new paint!

IMG_0771_zps6aie0oq1.jpg

Whilst we are at it, some pictures of our Sickle in the dock.....

IMG_0719_zpszyfoah15.jpg

IMG_0715_zpswaqf1rby.jpg

IMG_0711_zpsimf5lbrh.jpg

IMG_0693_zpsfc2qrilc.jpg

I seem to recall the Alcor having timber bottoms? Some of which were replaced by the late Tim Leech a couple of years ago.

Although after your comment it could be that its not composite through the full length?

The Denebola is the last full length unconverted Little Woolwich motor to remain composite which is why it is staying that way!

Well unconverted now, but clearly it has carried fairly long cabin conversion previously. (Not that that changes the thrust of the argument for keeping it composite, of course!)

I seem to recall the Alcor having timber bottoms? Some of which were replaced by the late Tim Leech a couple of years ago.

Although after your comment it could be that its not composite through the full length?

I would say the answer is that Alcor is part converted, whereas Denebola no longer is?

Both the "Alcor" and "Mercury" are converted with wooden bottoms. The "Princess Anne" (shortened) also is composite.