Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Brinklow have posted on Facebook that ASTRAEA, the replica Small Woolwich, will be for sale shortly.

I'd not seen the Brinklow Facebook page before. It's a fascinating record of some of their restoration work. Well worth visiting.

I have a girlfriend whom is currently content on spending most of my money although she now wants a matching butty all of her own... I think I only put up with her because she lock wheels really well.

Shame to see Lyra and Meteor are no longer for sale - although I guess we should appreciate that they have found a home. Leaving only Taurus as a 'viable' liveaboard butty.

Taurus not being the most pretty of boats to start with and having steel work done in 1985 and the cabin fitted in 1989 and last being out in 2010. That would make the 'new' steel bottom 30 years old. Certainly one for a survey I would imagine!

Meteor is still for sale, just haven't renewed the ad I believe

These big Bollinder Munktells seem very popular engines to put in Joshers and other historic narrowboats.

Is this a recent thing or is there a historical precedent? I am wondering because 53hp would surely have been considered far too big back in the day when France was carrying.

MtB

These big Bollinder Munktells seem very popular engines to put in Joshers and other historic narrowboats.

Is this a recent thing or is there a historical precedent? I am wondering because 53hp would surely have been considered far too big back in the day when France was carrying.

MtB

There were a few of the older versions, mainly BM 1052 (2 cylinder) fitted into working boats I believe, also one or two 1051 and 1053. I assume the 1113 is a development of the 1053 (last digit is number of cylinders).

Tim

I seem to recall BARON had a 1053, but the more recent fitting of three pot BM's have often come from fishing boats, an industry which has suffered of late (i.e. the last 30yrs). Bit over the top really. Make a nice sound though - if you can live with the gearbox chatter (or is that just the hydraulic jobbies?)huh.png

MtB

There were a few of the older versions, mainly BM 1052 (2 cylinder) fitted into working boats I believe, also one or two 1051 and 1053. I assume the 1113 is a development of the 1053 (last digit is number of cylinders).

Tim

Yes the 1052 seems to be quoted about 22HP, and the 1053 at 33Hp, so at 11HP per cylinder are a bit less (I think!) than Lister JPs, and similar to Lister HAs. Sounds like a very reasonable working boat engine.

Certainly it is reported that some of the Willow Wren boats had 2 cylinder Bolinders installed, but I'm not sure if that means these beasts or not. I'd have to remind myself which ones though.

Some like "Warbler", however, I think acquired them when their use changed from carrying boat to camping boat.

Lovely boats that "France" and "Holland" now are, I have to say those engines would totally put me off owning either. Just too much, I think!

Brinklow have posted on Facebook that ASTRAEA, the replica Small Woolwich, will be for sale shortly.

The last time I was at Brinklow in the summer I was shown round Astraea by a lady who owned Dormouse and had it up for sale:

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Narrowboats-for-sale/Trads/

I thought she was buying Astrea? Has the deal fallen through? Not that I could afford Astraea at the price I was told she cost to build.

Astraea is an absolutely fabulous boat both inside and out.

Picture from Brinklow Boats Facebook page.

10576910_256823461183779_103953280751280

Edited by Ray T

Tim

Nice selection of info on these engines on Volvo's site

http://www.volvoce.com/constructionequipment/corporate/en-gb/AboutUs/history/products/engines/Bolinders+diesel/pages/marine+1113+BR.aspx

The 1113/4 do seem to be derived from the earlier 105 series - (1 to 4 cylinders) but with a slightly larger cylinder bore -

111.12 mm compared with 104.77mm for the 105s - (I recon I can see where the code comes from) and running

slightly faster - original 105s were rated at 1500 rpm, I think later 1052s were also rated at 1800 rpm, wheras the 111s were

rated up to 2000 rpm. There is a 1960s sales brochure on the site which lists 1051, 1052, 1113 and 1114 as current.

So the 56 hk is a maximum rating at 2000 rpm, marine rating is 51.5 hk at 2000 rpm, 42.5 hk at 1500 rpm - sounds

like a good size to me - 3.78 litres / 3Cyls should make a nice noise.

also hk (metric horsepower) is a little bit smaller than hp (only about 1.5%)

springy

The last time I was at Brinklow in the summer I was shown round Astraea by a lady who owned Dormouse and had it up for sale:

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Narrowboats-for-sale/Trads/

I thought she was buying Astrea? Has the deal fallen through? Not that I could afford Astraea at the price I was told she cost to build.

Astraea is an absolutely fabulous boat both inside and out.

Picture from Brinklow Boats Facebook page.

10576910_256823461183779_103953280751280

The lady in question owns both boats, however she has decided to sell. Unfortunately her health has forced her hand somewhat into having to sell what can only be described as one very good boat and one exceptional boat.

A shame for her but a fantastic opportunity for someone to own a Brinklow built boat which is beyond compare.

Tim

105 referred to the cylinder bore, 105mm, the 111 series was a development with a bore of ( to state the obvious) 111mm. Volvo bought out BM in 1950 but they continued to trade under the BM name until, I think, 1970.

My luxemotor is fitted with a Volvo Penta MD67C which I think was produced between 1954 and 1966, ( the automotive version of this engine was fitted to the early Volvo Viking truck.) It is a six cylinder engine, 6.7 litres, 96hp at 1700 rpm, It has a bore and stroke indentical to the BM 111 series, and seems to me to be Bolinders technology under a Volvo Penta badge.

I have a feeling that I may struggle to go slowly, though!

Nice selection of info on these engines on Volvo's site

http://www.volvoce.com/constructionequipment/corporate/en-gb/AboutUs/history/products/engines/Bolinders+diesel/pages/marine+1113+BR.aspx

The 1113/4 do seem to be derived from the earlier 105 series - (1 to 4 cylinders) but with a slightly larger cylinder bore -

111.12 mm compared with 104.77mm for the 105s - (I recon I can see where the code comes from) and running

slightly faster - original 105s were rated at 1500 rpm, I think later 1052s were also rated at 1800 rpm, wheras the 111s were

rated up to 2000 rpm. There is a 1960s sales brochure on the site which lists 1051, 1052, 1113 and 1114 as current.

So the 56 hk is a maximum rating at 2000 rpm, marine rating is 51.5 hk at 2000 rpm, 42.5 hk at 1500 rpm - sounds

like a good size to me - 3.78 litres / 3Cyls should make a nice noise.

also hk (metric horsepower) is a little bit smaller than hp (only about 1.5%)

springy

Bison has a 1113 engine fitted, bought from Sweeden and still fitted with the original Bolinders gearbox with growl at tickover, they are great engines, sound great and you can still get pretty much any of the parts that you might need. I wouldn't swap mine for anything. Bison was only ever fitted with a Bolinders engine when she was working so it seems like a decent option to me. There are a number of others floating about including a 1052 in Sandbach, the two in France an Holland and some others in modern boat.

Not particularly desirable but a great piece of engineering although I am biased.

Redeye

Here's a picture of it that I posted a few weeks ago, loaded on the River Weaver (not the Navigation):-

XVhPrXx.jpg

Crossing the Mersey loaded:-

JJGMersey20_3_14_zps2e759f6f.jpg[/url]

4-cylinder 2-stroke direct reversing engine, no clutch or gearbox, 300 rpm max.

Tim

Working up the small locks on the Weaver on a narrow boat was not for the faint-hearted when an empty packet came in behind you.

I well remember being, by chance, on the wharf at Acton Swing Bridge with Peter Shrubsall when one of the empty packets came up, at some speed, clearly expecting the bridge to open in time for them. It didn't, and the engine failed to go astern, the Engineer must have failed to keep enough air in the bottles. Luckily we were able to take a line so that they could check the boat. If we hadn't been there, there would no doubt have been an interesting 'incident' between boat and bridge.

Tim