Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Speck (motorised LMS butty) is back up for sale. http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=242604

Had been taken down from Apollo Duck so but not left Cambridge so I thought the owner had changed her mind about selling.

Not a lot left of the old boat, and has been chopped about by someone with little expertise in historic boats. Also had spread apparently so probably can't leave the Fens without a crane.

And I too await the proper advert as we are on the lookout for a large or small butty, in the not to distant future!!

Darren

I was told they are not for sale.

Edited by mark99

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard, from a reliable source, that Slough has been sold.

Unfortunately for Sandra(who is disabled and recently lost both husband and son), it appears to have been a sale where she has been royally conned/ripped off and it has gone for around £6.5K.

Tis about 12 posts up in this thread and the boat is not really admired it seems.

OOps sorry.

I must say that I cannot find anything on there internal or external that merits that sort of money. I have a particular aversion to undercloth conversions too. I like my head too much.

OOps sorry.

I must say that I cannot find anything on there internal or external that merits that sort of money. I have a particular aversion to undercloth conversions too. I like my head too much.

Undercloth conversions look wrong to me anyway.

'Cloths up' suggests the boat is carrying a load, yet undercloth conversions aren't carrying much of a load so they sit too high in the water to look right.

I suppose one might have cloths up when carrying a load of wool for example, but most cargoes that needing protection from the elements would be far heavier than wool.

MtB

I must say that I cannot find anything on there internal or external that merits that sort of money.

I must admit Rigal (or part of it) has been knocking around ;ong enough that I have long lost the plot.

Can't remember original asking price, but certainly at least £55K (here)

Fairly certain that recently that has been as low as £45K, (am I right) and not found a buyer.

So why they have now put it back up to £50K, I really am not certain.

'Cloths up' suggests the boat is carrying a load, yet undercloth conversions aren't carrying much of a load so they sit too high in the water to look right.

I suppose one might have cloths up when carrying a load of wool for example, but most cargoes that needing protection from the elements would be far heavier than wool.

MtB

You've not lifted a bale of wool recently then ;)

It's not light and fluffy when compressed for transit

MtB

They can masquerade as camping boats - a perfectly legitimate period of the lives of quite a few ex working boats!

Then they'd have to be in Willow Wren or Braunston Canal Carrier livery wink.png

You actually mean Union Canal Carriers, I think?

Or

Foxton Boat Services

or

T&A Collier

or

Birmingham & Midland

or (even!)

Narrow Boat Trust.

(plus lots of others).

The wonderful "Large Woolwich" "Birmingham" now owned by former forum participant "Allybsc" has actually just been turned out in Full Union canal Carriers camping boat style.

And damn fine she looks too......

[image from Norbury Wharf Limited blog]

WP_20140413_002.jpg

You actually mean Union Canal Carriers, I think?

Or

Foxton Boat Services

or

T&A Collier

or

Birmingham & Midland

or (even!)

Narrow Boat Trust.

(plus lots of others).

That's it........ Union - based at Braunston

I remember seeing them loading up with Scouts etc - but that was a long long time ago

MtB

The advantage with an undercloth conversion (well the ones I've done at least) is that they can be knocked down in a couple of hours and anything that usually lived above the gunwales can be stashed under the side cloths, when you want to play at proper work boaty stuff.

It's a compromise but at least the boat is more than a big toy and is way better than a full cabin conversion or a welded steel undercloth conversion that is neither one thing nor the other.

Less of the former Mr Fincher...I'm more of a lurker now ninja.gif

I got the keys and had a look round Rigal at the weekend,it wasn't nearly as awful as I'd been led to believe. If it came down a bit I might consider it for our old age liveaboard...providing the important bits were sound, the annoyances could be sorted.

Less of the former Mr Fincher...I'm more of a lurker now ninja.gif

I got the keys and had a look round Rigal at the weekend,it wasn't nearly as awful as I'd been led to believe. If it came down a bit I might consider it for our old age liveaboard...providing the important bits were sound, the annoyances could be sorted.

Hi Allyson,

You can only start to guess how envious I have been following the Easter exploits of yourselves and others! Had we not had "doggy troubles" we would have by now done both the HNBC Foxton event and the BCLM tug event by now, rather than being sat at home discussing Pumpout versus Cassette or UKIP Fruitcakes. Ricky is now canned as well. sad.png

Interesting about Rigal, although surely far from "coming down a bit", its transfer to brokerage at Norbury seems to have "bumped it up a bit".

We have been completely pissed about in our quest for another boat, and I really don't know why I keep doing the person who has messed us about so heavily the favour of not giving a public naming and shaming. We are very disappointed because we thought our old age live-aboard was probably in the bag.

We have been completely pissed about in our quest for another boat, and I really don't know why I keep doing the person who has messed us about so heavily the favour of not giving a public naming and shaming. We are very disappointed because we thought our old age live-aboard was probably in the bag.

You have obviously, behind the scenes, been extremely cheesed off (irreverent thought: seems appropriate for vegetarians) by this fellow. Perhaps it might be best to accept that the deal wasn't meant to be, put the unhappy saga behind you, and look for a different boat - there are sure to be others coming on to the market which fit your criteria. Apologies if I am telling you what you already know, and good hunting!

You have obviously, behind the scenes, been extremely cheesed off (irreverent thought: seems appropriate for vegetarians) by this fellow. Perhaps it might be best to accept that the deal wasn't meant to be, put the unhappy saga behind you, and look for a different boat - there are sure to be others coming on to the market which fit your criteria. Apologies if I am telling you what you already know, and good hunting!

What I wonder though,is that if I saw the boat come to open market, (which so far it has not been), do I just sit back and ignore the fact.

Twice, over a period of many months we have been led to believe the owner wants to sell a boat, invested a lot of time in looking, and thought we had struck a deal, (which was at the inflated valuation he had on the boat, and in no way had been negotiated down by us). Last time we had the deposit with us in cash, and he mumbled some excuse that he suddenly had to rush away to another appointment, and we would need to come back tomorrow. He then did a runner.

OK, we were mugs to go through it twice, after he decided he didn't want to sell it the first time, I freely admit that, but if I saw it for sale now it would be hard to believe it was going to get sold.

So do I just keep quiet, and let someone else fall into the same trap as us, or would it be reasonable to tell those potentially interested what they are likely to run up against?

What I wonder though,is that if I saw the boat come to open market, (which so far it has not been), do I just sit back and ignore the fact.

Twice, over a period of many months we have been led to believe the owner wants to sell a boat, invested a lot of time in looking, and thought we had struck a deal, (which was at the inflated valuation he had on the boat, and in no way had been negotiated down by us). Last time we had the deposit with us in cash, and he mumbled some excuse that he suddenly had to rush away to another appointment, and we would need to come back tomorrow. He then did a runner.

OK, we were mugs to go through it twice, after he decided he didn't want to sell it the first time, I freely admit that, but if I saw it for sale now it would be hard to believe it was going to get sold.

So do I just keep quiet, and let someone else fall into the same trap as us, or would it be reasonable to tell those potentially interested what they are likely to run up against?

Sorry to hear about your boat buying woes. When things didn't work out for us with the ones we visited before Willow, I was really annoyed but now i see that we had to go through the process to appreciate how good Willow is.

Re warning others should this boat come on the market, how would you (unless they said publicly that they were interested) actually manage it? There's a boat for sale on the Cam on a very dodgy mooring being advertised as "free permanent mooring", and it riles me every time i see it. But i don't know how I'd go about warning people that it is very much not what it is advertised.