Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember what it had come down to before, but "Lancing" now about £30K, I think initally £40K when first advertised?

Ducky linky

I assume this boat must need some serious money spent on it - certainly it has failed to find a buyer.

Has anybody actually been to see it please, or can say anything about what issues it may have?

Sarah has even cruised it, last year I think as our friend Mike moors near it and had regular contact with the boat even running it as a trip boat at some time. I believe she said that the engine was nearly under water but give her a ring and ask her. Mike also posts on here once in a while.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Sarah has even cruised it, last year I think as our friend Mike moors near it and had regular contact with the boat even running it as a trip boat at some time. I believe she said that the engine was nearly under water but give her a ring and ask her. Mike also posts on here once in a while.

Now down to sub-£30k.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=287953

Advert states "original steel hull..... No overplating" which could be interesting.....

Now down to sub-£30k.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=287953

Advert states "original steel hull..... No overplating" which could be interesting.....

The advert actually states:

"Steel hull. Original rivetted. Welded hull below waterline. No overplating."

I read this as the worn steel plates below the waterline have been cut out and replaced with welded in replacement steel plates. I think it highly unlikely that an MCA Passenger Certificate would be obtainable for any 75 year old steel hulled boat where the plates are those fitted when new and are not overplated in any way.

It is also most likely that LANCING was refooted and rebottomed by 'British Waterways' in the mid / late 1950's along with most of the other boats in their Southern carrying fleet at that time, and it is this replacement steelwork that is being renewed nowadays.

Go on Alan, nice little retirement business!................................................................and its got a PD2 and Catrin can entertain the guests with her melodian

It was sounding quite attractive until those last few words! :lol:

It was sounding quite attractive until those last few words! :lol:

Some unkind people might ask which was the preferable noise, the PD2 or the melodeon.

I wouldn't, of course.

The advert actually states:

"Steel hull. Original rivetted. Welded hull below waterline. No overplating."

I read this as the worn steel plates below the waterline have been cut out and replaced with welded in replacement steel plates. I think it highly unlikely that an MCA Passenger Certificate would be obtainable for any 75 year old steel hulled boat where the plates are those fitted when new and are not overplated in any way.

It is also most likely that LANCING was refooted and rebottomed by 'British Waterways' in the mid / late 1950's along with most of the other boats in their Southern carrying fleet at that time, and it is this replacement steelwork that is being renewed nowadays.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense- having seen the condition of original footings in a GU boat, 50 years after the end of the design life.

Some unkind people might ask which was the preferable noise, the PD2 or the melodeon.

I wouldn't, of course.

Well in total honesty, a certain forum member, (not now very active) told us he could hear the melodeon before the Lister HA3, when we were approaching him on "Sickle"!

And very nice I expect it sounded to :) and of course the high frequencies of a tuneful melodian can be heard better over short distances that the low frequency thump of a Lister. The two together must be magical. No 2 son used the Bolinder of Rudd as bass and rhythm for his composition as part of his A level music.

Well in total honesty, a certain forum member, (not now very active) told us he could hear the melodeon before the Lister HA3, when we were approaching him on "Sickle"!

Well I'm still here, and it was true.

Happy New Year Alan.

David

and of course the high frequencies of a tuneful melodian can be heard better over short distances that the low frequency thump of a Lister.

That's exactly right, especially when you're going a bit mutt like me.

David

• 2 weeks later...

New advert for 'Cygnus' gone in today

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=324307

Just idle curiosity, but anyone any idea aprox how much to convert to motor similar to 'Hampton'?

No idea how much it would cost nowadays. I've just dug out my old invoices for Hampton from 1996. The cost of conversion then was just under £13K. This included everything: ARS 28/58 transmission, ellum, 1.8 recon BMC, s/steel water and diesel tanks, batteries; cloths and a new ash tiller, new shuts etc. etc.

I'm personally not a big fan of self propelled butties, to meeting it looks like a caravan going along with no towing car! But that's just my opinion, of course, and i can see why it's very practical when working a pair through narrow locks, etc.

As I understand it, though, once you have done such a conversion, then still trying to use it as a towed nutty on occasions can be quite hard work.

Enough of the rudder surface gets removed that there isn't really enough left for full control when unpowered - or at the very least the butty steered has to work a lit harder.

Perhaps Jim can comment further?

Bloody spell check keeps changing butty to nutty!

Edited by alan_fincher