Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Very tempting but I suspect the stem may be on the way out, last time I saw it the top spike was missing and no attempt to plug the hole or replace it was visible.

btw, Anyone know where "Neptune" has got too?

How much work is required?

It's hard to say (on a public forum).

The bulk of the rebuild is over 20 years old and, though it has been maintained well, there will be soft bits that need redoing.

There are also bits that weren't done very well and bits that didn't need doing then but will need doing now.

It is a very stable boat though so would make a great rolling restoration.

New bow apparently. The existing one is made of weetabix and Isopon and ready to burst if bumped against a lock gate, so I've heard on the towpath telegraph anyway. (The original TT, not the newspaper!)

This may be complete rubbish of course....

MtB

New bow apparently. The existing one is made of weetabix and Isopon and ready to burst if bumped against a lock gate, so I've heard on the towpath telegraph anyway. (The original TT, not the newspaper!)

This may be complete rubbish of course....

It is complete rubbish (almost).

The bow does need doing but it is no as bad as that and I wouldn't worry if it bounced off a lock gate.

When I bought Lucy everybody told me that the stern would fall off in the first lock and we cced her for a year.

It is complete rubbish (almost).

The bow does need doing but it is no as bad as that and I wouldn't worry if it bounced off a lock gate.

When I bought Lucy everybody told me that the stern would fall off in the first lock and we cced her for a year.

Ok, so just unsubstantiated towpath chatter then really.

You CCed her for a year THEN the stern fell off? :D

MtB

When for sale at Wfly at a much higher price it had an under cloth conversion.

Barely.

It had a bit of a ply under the tarps, a Rayburn and a set of bunk beds.

Steve always kept it very basic so it could be knocked down quickly.

Problem looming with this boat is that the price will drop to a very "affordable" level, some dreamer will come along, use it for a short while with little to no maintenance then get hit by the reality of exactly how nuch it will cost to put right. Then the boat remains static, "up for sale", gets sold even cheaper to another dreamer who hasnt the ability to conserve a historic craft. Its happened dozens of times already, locally the H F Truman was lost through similar circumstances yet was a 90% sound boat. Abandoned, then section 8, then the chainsaw.

I really hope a buyer comes along with at least twice the asking price available so that the urgent repairs can be dealt with and the boat will live on conserved properly.

locally the H F Truman was lost through similar circumstances yet was a 90% sound boat. Abandoned, then section 8, then the chainsaw.

That's a real shame. Now both the Trust's original boats have gone.

Was this recent?

Does that mean someone (simon peek?) bought her from Warwickshire Fly and are now selling her?

Richard

It's a real shame it sat around for years at £41,000 when if it had been for sale for £14,000 - probably what it's worth in my uninformed opinion - it would be another few years down the road of maintenance.

gallery_5000_522_81048.jpg

gallery_5000_522_36992.jpg

The sad day was 5th November 2008, we had made some moves about having it sent to Ellesmere Port but Bradley got wind (I think) and did this before I got to the yard at mid day.

This boat was very sound with little repairs needed but it had fallen into the wrong hands like so many wooden boats did and was abandoned in the old LMS dock at Wolverhampton, then abandoned elsewhere until it became a nuisance. Then S8 was issued and these photos show the results.

Sometimes "the wrong hands" are the only hands that will take the boats on after what you may describe as "the right hands" have washed their hands of them.

I wonder if the boat's life was actually extended "in the wrong hands" after leaving "the right hands".

The last owner of a boat that is broken up is only one in a long line of owners that have, in one way or another,let the boat down.

Sometimes "the wrong hands" are the only hands that will take the boats on after what you may describe as "the right hands" have washed their hands of them.

I wonder if the boat's life was actually extended "in the wrong hands" after leaving "the right hands".

The last owner of a boat that is broken up is only one in a long line of owners that have, in one way or another,let the boat down.

As I understand in this case the owner had dissapeared and evaded any contact with BW. I must say that BW acted in a disgusting manner over the boat, willing going ahead and destroying it with full knowledge that some way of saving it was in advanced discussion. If I named the poeple who were responsible for this hasty destruction you would be shocked.

There was an appalling attitude present within BW then and to an extent it hasnt gone away with the change to CRT, so this scene may well be not a thing of the past.

I must say that BW acted in a disgusting manner over the boat, willing going ahead and destroying it with full knowledge that some way of saving it was in advanced discussion.

Ironically the same thing happened to Usk, Truman's other boat.

I had arranged with a farmer to lift it out onto his field where it would be assessed properly and rebuilt or dismantled, whichever was most appropriate, but BW blocked that citing Health and Safety concerns and insisted they should do the job.

What happened to her between then and Pete's salvage? I had a look at her a couple of weeks ago and there didn't seem to be much of the original wood capable of being saved.

What happened to her between then and Pete's salvage? I had a look at her a couple of weeks ago and there didn't seem to be much of the original wood capable of being saved.

It was knackered but the point I was making was that even knackered wooden boats are stronger than they look.

I would have no concerns about taking Ian for an extended cruise before docking her because, despite a soft stem post it is still a huge lump of wood and I know the bow knees are in good shape.

You've got to have a bit of fun before the graft starts.

It's getting close to what I'd be willing to pay...

Does that mean someone (simon peek?) bought her from Warwickshire Fly and are now selling her?

Richard

Apollo Duck advert is now marked up to say Ian is sold. so unless it was one of you brave souls, you are too late for this particular iteration, it seems!