Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Seriously unsympathetic paint job, very untidy and unprofessional engine room and electrics and as Chris says almost all potential purchasers would want a proper engine room, as part of owning a 'proper boat' is its connection with the past. I can't really see the advantage of owning this above any other 70' boat, all the historicity has been so diluted as to have been lost.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

The cam, river class butty. A beautiful looking boat inside and out. £59.500

Darren

Are they really serious about it being powered by a 2.5 HP Yamaha outboard? ohmy.png

Duck linky

Edited by alan_fincher

Well to me it seems an awful lot of money for an unpowered River class butty, however nice the fit out.

Ivor Batchelor has been trying to sell a pair of Admiral class boats for not a lot more for a long while now, and unconverted Bletcley and Argus together will cost you less.

I think I'd expect more for my £60K, but I know I'm not comparing like with like!

You are right,they have always been the ugly ducklings. To be fair that's not a real comparison the cost of fitting out a working boat to a professional standard will cost £60k plus together with he cost of the unconverted shell.

You are right,they have always been the ugly ducklings. To be fair that's not a real comparison the cost of fitting out a working boat to a professional standard will cost £60k plus together with he cost of the unconverted shell.

But a fully converted butty like "Bakewell" was around half that kind of money, I think, and for that you get a "Town" not a "River".

To be honest, when I have seen those kinds of numbers attached to converted buttys in the past, (and they were generally for "base" boats that most would consider far more desirable), I don't think the prices have come close to being realised in practice.

But at the end of the day any old boat is worth whatever one particular person is prepared to pay on the day, and we are all driven by different things as to what makes a boat desirable to us.

whats that, you're thinking of buying a butty to go with Willow?? ;)

Yes, but not for a good few years yet .... Can't have one on the current mooring. That's why I want the HR3, you see!

You are only saying that in defence of those who now own all welded historic boats though, aren't you! :lol:

Partly. Being on the Cam is another reason.

• Greenie 1

I really quite like it.

CAM was owned by a good friend of mine for almost 25 years and he had it paired with a large Woolwich motor, initially at Gas Street Basin, Birmingham and latterly at Dadfords Shed, Stourbridge. CAM had been bought as an ex-maintenance boat and following a thorough restoration was always kept both pristine and unconverted with a full set of 'blue tops' in place. It is such a shame that CAM has been converted when these boats are so rare in their original form.

Of the six 'River Class' buttys built by Thames Launch Works, Teddington only WYE remains as an unconverted butty (as a museum exhibit). Of the sixteen 'River Class' buttys built by E.C. Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd. only TOW and URE remain as unconverted buttys, although TOW is converted to a tanked mud hopper. The two Harbourmaster motors ANNE and LEE are now fitted with conventional counter sterns, and the butty BERYL is fully converted captain.gif

CAM was owned by a good friend of mine for almost 25 years and he had it paired with a large Woolwich motor, initially at Gas Street Basin, Birmingham and latterly at Dadfords Shed, Stourbridge. CAM had been bought as an ex-maintenance boat and following a thorough restoration was always kept both pristine and unconverted with a full set of 'blue tops' in place. It is such a shame that CAM has been converted when these boats are so rare in their original form.

Of the six 'River Class' buttys built by Thames Launch Works, Teddington only WYE remains as an unconverted butty (as a museum exhibit). Of the sixteen 'River Class' buttys built by E.C. Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd. only TOW and URE remain as unconverted buttys, although TOW is converted to a tanked mud hopper. The two Harbourmaster motors ANNE and LEE are now fitted with conventional counter sterns, and the butty BERYL is fully converted :captain:

Yes, Lee used to moor in Cambridge and I knew the owner. He had so many problems with the Harbourmaster that it ended up coming off.

Roe was here for a bit, too, albeit with an "interesting" undercloth conversion and a motor back end.

Roe was here for a bit, too, albeit with an "interesting" undercloth conversion and a motor back end.

ROE's "motor back end" is a reconstruction of the original stern, complete with anser pins on each side.

I do believe the only 'River Class' butty I have not seen (and photographed) is FAL.

£2500 for a mast, cratch/deckboard and stands & planks, £2500 for gunwales, false floor and cloths, £8000 for a engine fitted with controls, thats £13000 - where on earth do you spend another £49K?

Cost based on real spend on current restoration of a GU motor.

Those are mental 'take on' prices Lawrence, ours were Gunnells and cloths £900, rebuilt PD2 £2500 and I still have the original, planks and false floors£600, masts and stands original. Wood by Pete Boyce, engine by Steve Priest, all fitted by me and your comments miss out on the purchase of the base boat but hey what do I know?

Edited by PaddingtonBear

£2500 for a mast, cratch/deckboard and stands & planks, £2500 for gunwales, false floor and cloths, £8000 for a engine fitted with controls, thats £13000 - where on earth do you spend another £49K?

Cost based on real spend on current restoration of a GU motor.

I think Tuscan is talking about the cost of a full conversion of a working boat to a residential or cruising boat, and not about the costs of refitting a boat as a carrying boat.

Those are mental 'take on' prices Lawrence, ours were Gunnells and cloths £900, rebuilt PD2 £2500 and I still have the original, planks and false floors£600, masts and stands original. Wood by Pete Boyce, engine by Steve Priest, all fitted by me and your comments miss out on the purchase of the base boat but hey what do I know?

Base purchase price was £1.00 off British Waterways plus five years prior lease at £5 per year. £1000, for oil and foul water removal (boat was a bunkering boat with some 30 years of spillage and embedded grime, £1000 for initial hull grit blast and priming, (these costs paid by previous owner). Then £8000 for a virtually complete new bottom (vee as its a middle Northwich) by Norton Canes, all other work will be by Norton Canes. So these are not "mental take on" prices they are costs for which we have the bills. The boat is "Tucana" (formely incorrectly known as Zodiac B10).