Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

looking at some people's trips to the Port this year, it's plain for all to see!!!!!

My boat doesn't have knees either, though i don't think this is a good thing, i can't see through my rose tinted spectacles for all the rose tinted smoke thats coming out of my boat..... when i clears i might just realise how much there is to do.. ;)

Dan

Winter 2011/12 Work on re-building HAZEL is progressing well. The new bottoms, keelson and the formers of the fore end shape are in place having been made to measurements taken before the rotten side planks were dismantled. Source: Wooden Canal Boat Society Newsletter Winter, 2011/12

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Winter 2011/12 Work on re-building HAZEL is progressing well. The new bottoms, keelson and the formers of the fore end shape are in place having been made to measurements taken before the rotten side planks were dismantled. Source: Wooden Canal Boat Society Newsletter Winter, 2011/12

Richard

Wrong Hazel. That's the 6 planker. (ETA she is a 6 planker isn't she?)

This one is Nurser's Hazel

- too slow-

Edited by Speedwheel

Okay, I'm confused

This isn't the boat with the new bottom and isn't in Runcorn even though that website says she is?

Richard

This is the Nurser's Hazel, the quotation you posted is off the correct boats's page, but is posted on the wrong page, if that makes sense.

Got it

She is the last but one Nurser, the last being Lucy

Richard

No, The one for sale is the Nursers Hazel, built 1957 at Braunston, and currently on the Oxford. The one you quoted is currently being restored at Stalybridge, a "Runcorn Wooden Header" built 1914. I think they were sent an update of the Runcorn Header Hazel and posted by accident to the Nurser Hazel Page.

I believe the order was Lucy, Hazel, and finally Raymond.

Could be wrong though.

I believe the order was Lucy, Hazel, and finally Raymond.

Could be wrong though.

Yes, you are wrong. You have missed out ELSIE (1956) that was built after LUCY (1953) and before HAZEL (1957). RAYMOND was then the last commercial boat in 1958, although of course not the last wooden narrow boat to be built at 'Barlows' Braunston boat yard (formally Nurser Bros.).

Love this from the Historic Ship thingy:

"HAZEL is a butty boat (narrowboat towed by horses in former times and nowadays by speedboat)"

You'll need a 'speedboat' Richard, though the Nurser HAZEL is probably speedy enough.

Makes one wonder how much historic knowledge is understood by the aforementioned registrars.

...although of course not the last wooden narrow boat to be built at 'Barlows' Braunston boat yard (formally Nurser Bros.).

Which was, to complete the story, "Trees" (unless my memory is totally failing).

I understand she was still about, until fairly recently, does anyone know if this is still the case?

Well those nice people at NHS UK have quickly updated the entries for the Hazels, after I dropped them a quick email, asking if everything was ok.

Its really nice when people are quickly on top of thing :)

--

cheers Ian Mac

Which was, to complete the story, "Trees" (unless my memory is totally failing).

I understand she was still about, until fairly recently, does anyone know if this is still the case?

Your memory is not failing as TREES is thought to be the last wooden narrow boat built at 'Barlows' / 'Nursers' dock, Braunston.

I spoke to a chap at Braunston on 26 June 2006 who told me that TREES was broken up at Shobnall Marina in early June 2005, and fortunately the Parsons Merganser engine was removed first. The afore-mentioned chap lived on his boat not too far from Shobnall Marina and as he had a keen interest in 'historic' narrow boats I have no reason to disbelieve him.

To complete the story even more the Parsons Merganser removed from TREES was thoroughly reconditioned and fitted into the Brinklow Boat Services replica 'Yarwoods' 'Admiral Class' motor PELLEW in about 2007.

I spoke to a chap at Braunston on 26 June 2006 who told me that TREES was broken up at Shobnall Marina in early June 2005,

That is a shame.

It was one of the few boats that would have drawn me back into narrow boat ownership.

I think Andromeda will only appeal to a limited market CC

Nice conversion but engine in the back end will put those off who want a "Trad" boat

not impossible to sort but at 54k it could take a while

But as you say looks nice..

Chris

My comment roger was that most people who are looking to get a historic boat would prefer a conventional cabin & engine ole setup

Some will like it others Won't

Chris

Edited by Chris-B

Andromeda has just been added to Apollo duck. Small woolwich butty converted to motor. Looks nice £54.950

Errm,

See very first post of this thread, when Andromeda is one of the boats listed.

Andromeda is NOT a recent addition to "the Duck".

EDIT:

Also I'm still seeing it as £58,000, rather than the £54,950 you mention. Are there multiple listings?

Yes,

Multiple ads.....

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=290557

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=298231

The brokerage seem to think that "Woolwich" is a builder, though!

Edited by alan_fincher