Gardner 4L3

Proper Job

Featured Posts

The parts that are common with the larger 6L3,8L3,6L3B,8L3B's are on about a par with the LW's for getting hold of parts e.g. heads, pistons, valves etc etc but the parts only for 4 cylinder will be fairly hard to find as they were not common in the first place.

Slightly going off topic I know for a 3L3 if someone fancied putting it in a narrowboat lol, dont think you would need much ballast with that fitted :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

How similar are the L3 and L3B's?

... working on the grounds that the engine the boat has: "The 4L3 engine (No 29791) was the first L3 model engine ever built and was initially sent over to the USA for an exhibition in 1932, after which she was installed in the boat; it has been extensively rebuilt over the past two years"

Lots of L3B consumables (pistons, liners, bearings etc) appear to be available ..... at a price

Edited by Proper Job

How similar are the L3 and L3B's?

... working on the grounds that the engine the boat has: "The 4L3 engine (No 29791) was the first L3 model engine ever built and was initially sent over to the USA for an exhibition in 1932, after which she was installed in the boat; it has been extensively rebuilt over the past two years"

Lots of L3B consumables (pistons, liners, bearings etc) appear to be available ..... at a price

Well they are similar and at the same time they are not. at a first glance they look virtually identical, but many of the internals are subtlely different. the liners I know are the same but pistons if my memory is correct are not. this applies to many components. Also from experience if the engine is actually that one then dont assume that it is internally are even the same as later L3's. I am currently rebuilding a very early 3L2 which on stripping down is subtlely different from the later ones, and the first issue of the parts/workshop manuals make no reference to these very early pattern bits. for example the 3L2 I am doing had different design pistons with different injectors (Sprayers) to match, very different injection timing etc etc. But as with any of these old engines they can always be repaired its just if your time scales and bank balance can achieve it.

Oh and as for price, nothing is cheap if its for a Gardner. lol

• 6 years later...
On 26/02/2013 at 03:42, martyn 1 said:

The parts that are common with the larger 6L3,8L3,6L3B,8L3B's are on about a par with the LW's for getting hold of parts e.g. heads, pistons, valves etc etc but the parts only for 4 cylinder will be fairly hard to find as they were not common in the first place.

Slightly going off topic I know for a 3L3 if someone fancied putting it in a narrowboat lol, dont think you would need much ballast with that fitted :rolleyes:

Martyn. Do you know if a 3L3 is still available? I have been looking for one for years to keep as a pet or fit to a boat I have. 

Guy 

Brisbane Aust

Welcome to CWDF, Guy. I do like the idea of keeping a vintage engine "as a pet".

The post that you responded to is six years old, so it's possible that Martyn will not see your request. However, at the bottom of his post is a link to his company Marine Power Services, which may be an easier way to contact him.