4LW fuel pump spring

swift1894

Featured Posts

Anyone know of these springs ever breaking?

What would happen to the engine if it did?

Which spring? The one in the pump top, or the one above the cam follower? Or the delivery valve spring?

In the first two cases, I would expect running on that cylinder to become erratic. If it were the delivery valve spring, maybe that cylinder not run at all, all depends on the break.

I've never known one break on an LW, but with other engines those have been the results. I've never known a delivery valve spring to break, BTW.

Tim

4LW_010.jpg

The one that runs behind the pump? That's the one that pulls the rack towards the governor IIRC

So, if it broke, you'd get a lot of slack in the mechanism and erratic running. Might be difficult to start too

Richard

4LW_010.jpg

The one that runs behind the pump? That's the one that pulls the rack towards the governor IIRC

So, if it broke, you'd get a lot of slack in the mechanism and erratic running. Might be difficult to start too

Richard

That's the one. Just wondered if the engine might speed up.

Could be awkward if it happened entering a lock! :o

btw .....is that your engine?

What's the tiny brass bit on the oil filler cap?

Edited by swift1894

That's the one. Just wondered if the engine might speed up.

Could be awkward if it happened entering a lock! :o

btw .....is that your engine?

What's the tiny brass bit on the oil filler cap?

No, not mine. Just a picture I found on the web

I have been working on the BPF2 pump on a Gardner 2L2 this week, so that stuff is fresh in my mind

Richard

That will be one of my engines. well in the sense that I reconditioned it about 4 years ago. It now powers a working boat and butty working in the Thames area.

Heres one of it finished with its gearbox.

4LW.JPG

No, not mine. Just a picture I found on the web

I have been working on the BPF2 pump on a Gardner 2L2 this week, so that stuff is fresh in my mind

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Have you got that 2L2 running on both cylinders yet? I spoke to the owner just before christmas when he was trying to get bits sorted to move the boat.

And very beautiful it is too Martyn, you do some very fine work

BPF4 pump with cold start attachment

Richard

Edited for fat finger trouble

Edited by martyn 1

Anyone know of these springs ever breaking?

What would happen to the engine if it did?

I can't see particularly why it should, any more than any other part. But what makes you ask? Have you experience of one doing so?

Thanks Richard,

Have you got that 2L2 running on both cylinders yet? I spoke to the owner just before christmas when he was trying to get bits sorted to move the boat.

Yes. Number 2 element had picked up something in the past and had been shuffling up and down in the pump body. Eventually it would no longer seal against the delivery pressure

I swapped the body, checked and reset the calibration and now she's running fine.

I'd like to get the idling speed a little lower, the governor seems a little tired though

Richard

I can't see particularly why it should, any more than any other part. But what makes you ask? Have you experience of one doing so?

Just wondered with a spring that's 68 years old, quite flimsy looking, constantly stretched back and forth, not necessarily lubricated, unlike the inner parts, it might be prudent to get a new one and keep the old as a spare.

Just wondered with a spring that's 68 years old, quite flimsy looking, constantly stretched back and forth, not necessarily lubricated, unlike the inner parts, it might be prudent to get a new one and keep the old as a spare.

If you wanted to I'd think they were cheap enough and they don't take up much space. I must admit that I've never has that particular item fail on any of the various engines we've operated with. We're now just down to the one boat - Friesland with a 6LW - and although I carry spares of all belts, impellors and such stuff I don't have one of those springs. Sod's Law will doubtless take effect in a while though.