Lister SR2 Oil contamination

Featured Posts

Still got this trouble - quite a lot of diesel dropping into the oil. The engineer has had a look at the obvious culprits and we can't find anything - he muttered something about "replacing the pumps might be necessary". An engineer I met on another boat this last week said something similar but as I am ignorant about these matters I thought I'd check it out with you! Posibly should be on the vintage forum - do SR2s count as vintage these days? I think they were normal when I bought the boat.

And are these the "lift pumps" I have heard referred to, and can someone explain in words suitable for a mechanical idiot precisely what might be going on? I really wish I'd gone on a course thirty years ago...

Still got this trouble - quite a lot of diesel dropping into the oil. The engineer has had a look at the obvious culprits and we can't find anything - he muttered something about "replacing the pumps might be necessary". An engineer I met on another boat this last week said something similar but as I am ignorant about these matters I thought I'd check it out with you! Posibly should be on the vintage forum - do SR2s count as vintage these days? I think they were normal when I bought the boat.

And are these the "lift pumps" I have heard referred to, and can someone explain in words suitable for a mechanical idiot precisely what might be going on? I really wish I'd gone on a course thirty years ago...

Ahoy Arthur. The lift pump is the external pump with the priming lever on it that draws fuel from your tank and supplies the injector pumps via the fuel filter. The two Bryce injector pumps are hidden inside the the crankcase behind a wide plate on the port side of your engine. Fuel leaking into the oil in the crankcase can be from the main injector feed or the thin fuel spill back pipes, two pipe connections to each injector both visible once both the top valve covers are removed. By removing the crankcase side plate ''all ready mentioned'' will reveal both ''injector pumps''plus the main fuel feed pipwork connecting them together and to there connection with the pipe to the external fuel filter. these should be ''banjo'' connections all of which have two soft usually copper washers as seals. Any of these washers leaking fractured pipe or a pin hole in a pipe or leaking where the banjo bolt connections are brazed to the pipework leaking will leak fuel straight into the engine oil below them.

''Its rare for the injector pumps themselves to be leaking'' from their actuating plungers or throttle rack spindles.

The external fuel lift pump can also leak fuel into the oil if its diaphram is punctured, but I think we covered that a while ago with you.

Edited by bizzard

Ahoy Arthur. The lift pump is the external pump with the priming lever on it that draws fuel from your tank and supplies the injector pumps via the fuel filter. The two Bryce injector pumps are hidden inside the the crankcase behind a wide plate on the port side of your engine. Fuel leaking into the oil in the crankcase can be from the main injector feed or the thin fuel spill back pipes, two pipe connections to each injector both visible once both the top valve covers are removed. By removing the crankcase side plate ''all ready mentioned'' will reveal both ''injector pumps''plus the main fuel feed pipwork connecting them together and to there connection with the pipe to the external fuel filter. these should be ''banjo'' connections all of which have two soft usually copper washers as seals. Any of these washers leaking fractured pipe or a pin hole in a pipe or leaking where the banjo bolt connections are brazed to the pipework leaking will leak fuel straight into the engine oil below them.

''Its rare for the injector pumps themselves to be leaking'' from their actuating plungers or throttle rack spindles.

Also the bleed screws on the front of the injector pumps have been known to work loose and leak. IF the SR2 is fitted with self bleeding then the bleed screws are replaced by banjo bolts connecting small banjos to the pumps with their thin pipes running up to the "normal" leak off pipes.

If the engineer has not had the side cover off with the engine running then that must be the next test.

The lift pump could leak into the sump but I think that the probability is that it will have a breather/leak off hole in the base that would allow fuel to dribble down the side of the engine.

When I had a similar problem on my last boat I found this document that gave me some ideas link

Hope this helps

Rik

• 1 year later...

The external fuel lift pump can also leak fuel into the oil if its diaphram is punctured, but I think we covered that a while ago with you.

Arthur.

I have tried to email you re canal planner 7 but your email address appears not to exist

I have served a course at Listers on engines such as yours and have some where original workshop manuals for you engine.

I agree on the last post re lift pumps injector pumps etc..

pse post a correct email addres then we can converse..

kenbarton2@yahoo.co.uk try me on this address which will self destruct in one week...

Regards goodmenaremist..