Tools?

jim and pat dalton

Featured Posts

Hard to answer properly

We have a cheap B&Q toolkit in a plastic box (spanners, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers) that's very handy for keeping the boat in one piece. For the engine we have a set of Metric combination spanners. Then a hammer, a hacksaw or two, some sandpaper/wet and dry

That gets us by for many things.

Richard

A man can never have enough tools.

I have almost a duplicate set on the boat as at home, as it is not very helpful if something goes wrong if the required wrench/grips are at home.

I haven't found a use for a ball joint splitter on the boat yet.

I would include bolt croppers for getting wire off the prop, small enough to get down the weed hatch.

An adjustable wrench is also useful.

Edited by Ray T

Almost there, we hope to have our boat in two weeks time

It has a 1.5 BMC engine and I wondered what tools Ie type number and sizes to take on board, plus any other essential tools to have with me

Can anyone help?

Jim

If you start off with this, you can pick up anything else you need as you go along.

lg1_005755.jpg

You will find that being a boat, a standard toolkit is not always appropriate as after market solutions are often fitted in an emergency/to fit space/because thats all they had/etc

You should have all the tools you are capable of using in the correct manner for the job you are capable of doing.

ps. I think on BMC you use AF spanners and not metric.

someone with a BMC will be along to confirm or deny.

You should have all the tools you are capable of using in the correct manner for the job you are capable of doing.

ps. I think on BMC you use AF spanners and not metric.

someone with a BMC will be along to confirm or deny.

That will be me, and yes the BMC is Imperail

To be honest, if you can't get by with a 13mm or 11mm spanner, it's too big a job to do on a BMC without a lot of time and a manual

Richard

If you start off with this, you can pick up anything else you need as you go along.

lg1_005755.jpg

You will find that being a boat, a standard toolkit is not always appropriate as after market solutions are often fitted in an emergency/to fit space/because thats all they had/etc

Yes with a BMC that should be enough to get you by...

seriously - A set of combination spanners (mine are metric, you might need footric for the BMC), a good quality set of screwdrivers (cheap screwdrivers are only good for stiring paint), pliers, adjustable spanners (small medium and intimidating) 1lb Ball pein hammer. some electrical tools and bits like wire,fuses, bulbs lots of insulating tape and duct tape. Set of allen keys can be useful too.

I also find a selection of screws, nuts, bolts washers and cup hooks invaluable for those little jobs SWMBO springs on you miles from no where ...

Don't get too hung up on tools, you'll never be able to initially work out exactly what you need to cover every situation. Start off with a basic kit along the lines of SOME of the suggestions above & you'll find that you'll augment it as you go along.

With most jobs needing an element of planning beforehand, you'll be able to work out if you need an extra tool or two in order to do it & you can buy them as you need them. When you come to buy, buy the best quality you can afford.

As for quality, over 45+ plus years of diy car maintenance and repairs I can only recall one instance of a cheap tool breaking and that was an open ended 'made in India' spanner which I extended with a long steel tube over it, total abuse which resulted in it not surprisingly snapping. IMO cheap tools for occasional by a diyer are generally ok, but not for repeated professional use.

As for quality, over 45+ plus years of diy car maintenance and repairs I can only recall one instance of a cheap tool breaking and that was an open ended 'made in India' spanner which I extended with a long steel tube over it, total abuse which resulted in it not surprisingly snapping. IMO cheap tools for occasional by a diyer are generally ok, but not for repeated professional use.

Fair point, well made.

lg1_005755.jpg

No drill then, Matty. That's a relief - you will not be drilling holes in my boat next month!

I found Sugru recently which I think might be invaluable on a boat!