e-canalmapps

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

I think the project is excellent, a welcome addition to the whole canal experience.

My only gripe is the choice of underlying map. The creator of this software does not create the actual map, instead his work is built on top of an existing map. I think the current choice, OpenStreetMap (OSM) is terrible. Visually it is horrifically cluttered. Finding a waterway is an act of detective work. The waterways do not stand out in vivid blue, instead they are lost in a fog of other details. I would strongly recommend that the developer change his underlying map to something with better visual clarity.

I've tried the e-maps on a Galaxy and whilst it works quick enough, the maps themselves are not really very readable. However I've got the daddy version (Eureauweb) on netbook/pc and it is very useful. Generally more up-to-date (updates posted more or less monthly) than Nicholsons etc and very useful to see where shops etc are in nearby villages. Also shows moorings which Nicholsons (for some inexplicable reason) doesn't show.

Is anybody using them on an iPad or iPhone platform with the internal GPS?

If so, does the speed read correctly for you within the e-canalmapps app?

ETA I find the maps are just about readable on the bigger screen of an iPad but as I said earlier they would benefit from one more level of zoom.

Edited by NB Willawaw

The Nicholsons correction site stopped ages ago. There was an attempt to refloat it on a site called Nicholsons Updates about 2 years ago but I believe people weren't cooperating by reporting the errors so corrections could be issued on the site and it was eventually stopped. It only corrected the last published version anyhow.

The e-canalmapps are not error free. I have just reported an error where two adjacent pubs had been transposed.

It also shows a cinema that has been closed a couple of years.

It seems that you have to-spend £130 for Eureauweb Waterways to get an error free map and you then pay £25 per annum for the update service.

This is a bit rich for my blood as this mapping is useful but not essential on a canal and you can get similar by cross referencing many of the free or lower cost systems out there.

In the destructions in the app, it suggests it uses the same Eureauweb database as Waterways, but with the errors, this must mean that either this isn't the case or the same errors are there too.

This is something I keep meaning to look into, but I do like a paper map. We've got the full set of Nicholsons and have now started collecting Pearsons.

BUT it;s bloody annoying when you arrive at a pub that no longer exists, walk a mile to a village shop that closed down a year ago or arrive for a pump out at what used to be a hire boat firm and is now a private basin.

I know there was talk about updates to Nicholsons online at one time, is that still ongoing? I'm wondering if it's only relevant if you have one of the latest books rather than the 2004 version :rolleyes:

They are 300-500Mb per map. I think the trick is to download them when using broadband wifi.

I tried the map on my android phone, the map data download is HUGE. It will certainly eat a big chunk out of your download allowance. I read somewhere of a similar waterways product that is supplied on a usb memory stick.

Mick

Edited by NB Willawaw

They are 300-500Mb per map. I think the trick is to download them when using broadband wifi.

On the Android version there is a warning about the download size with the suggestion it's done on a wifi connection. I didn't notice the same warning on the iPad.

This is something I keep meaning to look into, but I do like a paper map. We've got the full set of Nicholsons and have now started collecting Pearsons.

BUT it;s bloody annoying when you arrive at a pub that no longer exists, walk a mile to a village shop that closed down a year ago or arrive for a pump out at what used to be a hire boat firm and is now a private basin.

I know there was talk about updates to Nicholsons online at one time, is that still ongoing? I'm wondering if it's only relevant if you have one of the latest books rather than the 2004 version :rolleyes:

No it's not just old copies. I have some reprinted in 2010 which are just as bad. Explain ed in detail how to understand a series of crosses on poles at Teddington to indicate which lock to use - lockeeper said they were replaced with traffic lights over 10 years ago :blink:

I've got the e-canalmapps South map which includes Teddington and it talks about red diamonds showing the state of the lock. Presumerably thats up to date then?

No I'm afraid that's 10 years out of date which is worrying. This is a quote from the Teddington Lock site:

Contrary to every guide book i have seen so far ( River Thames book , Imray guide etc. ) we do not have the flashing crosses and arrows any more (these were replaced about 10 years ago, so it shows how often the guides are updated!) We now have simple RED and GREEN traffic lights for each lock. Watch the lights and you won't go far wrong !!

Web site

Teddington Site

Photo taken on approach. You can just see the traffic lights above the lock signs.

Photo link

Edited by Meggers

Thanks for taking the time to answer that so thoroughly. Seems just about as accurate as the Nics then. Oh well, at least it allows me to make an informed decision about whether I choose to buy any more.

No I'm afraid that's 10 years out of date which is worrying. This is a quote from the Teddington Lock site:

Contrary to every guide book i have seen so far ( River Thames book , Imray guide etc. ) we do not have the flashing crosses and arrows any more (these were replaced about 10 years ago, so it shows how often the guides are updated!) We now have simple RED and GREEN traffic lights for each lock. Watch the lights and you won't go far wrong !!

Web site

Teddington Site

Photo taken on approach. You can just see the traffic lights above the lock signs.

Photo link

What do you all do when it rains, stay inside and not cruise so your ipads and phones stay dry?

I can't see the point of a satnav style system on the canals, surely a quick reference check of a map or nicholsons in the morning is all you need and then enjoy the passing views, people and features as you tootle along.

To keep any app updated would take a team of people working on it and I would guess at the income from these apps to be in the hundreds of pounds rather than a salary generating income.

Web site

Teddington Site

Photo link

Nicholsons 2012 says "traffic lights" "please observe red and green light signals"

What do you all do when it rains, stay inside and not cruise so your ipads and phones stay dry?

I can't see the point of a satnav style system on the canals, surely a quick reference check of a map or nicholsons in the morning is all you need and then enjoy the passing views, people and features as you tootle along.

To keep any app updated would take a team of people working on it and I would guess at the income from these apps to be in the hundreds of pounds rather than a salary generating income.

My Nicholson isn't waterproof either so I don't see rain as a reason for not using an iPad. A waterproof map case would work for either. That said I don't use it while steering as I'm too clumsy and would be in the cut in no time. I just find it handy for planning and seeing what is in the area. I enjoy the scenery when cruising and use the book as a quick reference as you say.

I've spent a couple of days travelling up the South Oxford from Oxford to Cropredy and the emap seems to be up to date. It showed the winding hole above Somerton Deep lock which is not in my Nicholsans. That said I prefer the paper book for this job. It's easy to check with a quick glance and I can scribble my own notes for future use. I can use google maps on my phone to find local facilities etc. Don't think I'll be buying any more.

Out of interest, were you using the locate me/positioning on the e-canalmapp or were you just using it as a map, as you would the Nicholsons?

I've spent a couple of days travelling up the South Oxford from Oxford to Cropredy and the emap seems to be up to date. It showed the winding hole above Somerton Deep lock which is not in my Nicholsans. That said I prefer the paper book for this job. It's easy to check with a quick glance and I can scribble my own notes for future use. I can use google maps on my phone to find local facilities etc. Don't think I'll be buying any more.

I was using the locate me which was very accurate. At times I was tracking progress on it but I'd rather watch the scenery. It does what it says on the tin and does it well. I travel alone and it may be more use with a co pilot. I like the fact that you can pick a feature such as a lock or water point and it will show the distance. I would prefer if it also showed the number of locks like canal plan does.

Edited by Meggers

Recent correspondence in Waterways World clearly indicates that this 'winding hole' is in private ownership and not available for general use - which is probably why Nicholson doesn't show it

Are any of you using these electronic canal maps for smart phones ?

I've started experimenting with them and wondered what others thought ?

Is anybody using them with GPS to show boat position and movement?

Specifically, is anybody using them with an external GPS feeding their display device?

I'm using a wifi non 3G iPad and external Bluetooth GPS and was interested to learn if anybody has a similar arrangement for the e-canal mapps.

The Eureauweb Waterways product is a different product and much more expensive. The canalmapps are more in line price wise with books like Nicholsons.

Well I've only used them for a little while, but opinion so far.

I like them but I've discovered that a tunnel was missing completely. I emailed Mr Kelly and he said it would be corrected.

I've also found a few minor errors which I haven't reported yet. I guess it depends on how long it takes to get these corrected. If they are corrected even quarterly then it will be an advantage over Nicholsons.

I feel the zoom scaling could be better as I find myself peering at the screen sometimes wishing I could zoom in another level.

The interactive POI side of things is good and if you have a data connection you can click on links to access pub websites etc. Only being able to choose to display three types of POI doesn't really cause me a problem.

Although trivial, I like the way the boat passes under the bridges rather than over them when you are moving on the map. For some reason there seems to be a software glitch when interfaced to my GPS. I don't get speed shown and I quite like having instantaneous speed over ground displayed. My bluetooth GPS works with all my other iPad apps including my Imray charting though so I don't think it's my Garmin GPS.

If you want to look at a different part of the canal from where you are, it's quite difficult to do this as its sometimes hard to get your bearings and the place search isn't as good as it could be.

In summary, I like them but they still need some work. I would rather buy these than new Nicholsons but they need to put some effort in. I imagine this is dependent on numbers sold so its a bit chicken and egg.

I get the impression that not many people are using them yet.

The other thing that is quite strange is that I thought the Eureauweb Waterways mapping which costs £25 per year for updates, used the same source as the e-canalmapp product (both products come from the same company).

My e-canalmapp doesn't show Ellesmere Tunnel at all. Apparently "Water-ways" does show it.

Unfortunately, you can't rely on users to correct all your mistakes - by and large, most people can't be bothered

so at best, you will only get some corrections this way.

One thing Ive learnt is that the heading readout on e-canalmapps is literally that. However, on my iThing it comes from the built in compass and depends on how you orientate the tablet.

You have to point it at the bow of your boat, otherwise it makes the boat appear to go sideways down the canal.

This was baffling me at first as I assumed wrongly that the app was using course over ground from my problematic GPS.

If I point the tablet at the bow, it reads correctly now and the triangle that represents own boat on the map, points the right way.

The speed is still wrong though.

Is anybody using them on an iPad or iPhone platform with the internal GPS?

If so, does the speed read correctly for you within the e-canalmapps app?

ETA I find the maps are just about readable on the bigger screen of an iPad but as I said earlier they would benefit from one more level of zoom.

The Nicholsons correction site stopped ages ago. There was an attempt to refloat it on a site called Nicholsons Updates about 2 years ago but I believe people weren't cooperating by reporting the errors so corrections could be issued on the site and it was eventually stopped. It only corrected the last published version anyhow.

The e-canalmapps are not error free. I have just reported an error where two adjacent pubs had been transposed.

It also shows a cinema that has been closed a couple of years.

It seems that you have to-spend £130 for Eureauweb Waterways to get an error free map and you then pay £25 per annum for the update service.

This is a bit rich for my blood as this mapping is useful but not essential on a canal and you can get similar by cross referencing many of the free or lower cost systems out there.

In the destructions in the app, it suggests it uses the same Eureauweb database as Waterways, but with the errors, this must mean that either this isn't the case or the same errors are there too.

Out of interest, were you using the locate me/positioning on the e-canalmapp or were you just using it as a map, as you would the Nicholsons?

What device were you running it on ?

Can we assume you have had a change of heart, then? :lol:

Canalworld and I Finally Part Company