ICC / CEVNI Practical Test

Biggles

Featured Posts

I am pretty confident I could handle my boat sufficient to pass a practical exam, but just to be sure can someone tell me exactly what I need to practice and what I will be tested on.

From what I have so far discovered it is MOB recovery and docking.

What else do I need to know and demonstrate?

I am pretty confident I could handle my boat sufficient to pass a practical exam, but just to be sure can someone tell me exactly what I need to practice and what I will be tested on.

From what I have so far discovered it is MOB recovery and docking.

What else do I need to know and demonstrate?

From memory (but it was 2006 when we did ours) we did ferry gliding (demonstrating that we could move sideways across a river using the current and engine/rudder to keep us exactly opposite a fixed object on the bank), simple knots (bowline and clove hitch), rope handling (lassoing bollards) and a lock passage, in addition to what you have listed.

Tam and Di will be the obvious experts for the current requirements for this question though.

Roger

Link to the aplication for assesment which gives all the information you need, you can do the CEVNI test on line. However an inland helmsmans certificate is much easier and may more appropriate for you than an ICC.

Assesment form

Edited by NMEA

All done and dusted. We both did the CEVNI and ICC tests yesterday and pleased to say we passed. We also passed our VHF a few weeks ago so are now qualified for the France trip.

The instructor also made my boat go backwards under full control. So despite my insistence it just won't go backwards it truly did. I need to do some practicing.

• 4 weeks later...

Are any qualifications actually necessary? None of my potential insurers have asked. In my case I have an ICC from sailing (and one or two RYA tickets - YM Ocean, instructor and Advanced Powerboat none of which I suspect are of any use on the waterways!!)

Also if one has a VHF on board does the boat need a radio licence as well as the operator?

Yes. Either a ship's licence for fixed set(s),or a Transportable for a handheld.

This link should hel/

Iain

I understood you could carry VHF but actually only need a licence if you intend to transmit (we carry one to listen out for commercial boats and monitor the comms with the lockies as to what they are up to)

Edited by The Dog House

Are any qualifications actually necessary? None of my potential insurers have asked. In my case I have an ICC from sailing (and one or two RYA tickets - YM Ocean, instructor and Advanced Powerboat none of which I suspect are of any use on the waterways!!)

Also if one has a VHF on board does the boat need a radio licence as well as the operator?

Biggles is planning to come to France and does need an ICC with Inland Endorsement. You do need both a licence to have the VHF on board plus "user's" certification, and for a vessel over 20m on the continent you need 2 VHFs and they must be ATIS enabled.

Reversing is largely a matter of getting the correct revs and the right amount of rudder. If the stern pulls to left/port in reverse you will hold the rudder slightly to starboard (i.e. so you would turn to starboard/right in head gear) in order that the water flow against the rudder will counteract the prop bias. If you need to make adjustements to either rudder or throttle do it very steadily. It will be easier on relatively deep water as you want the prop to be pulling water evenly to the rudder, which it can't do if it is shallow on one side.

I had one for my last boat - but that had SSB and fixed VHF. I might just accidentally forget to do it for a hand held.

Why bother forgetting it the licence is free other than the cost of printing all 12 pages and if you had a license on a previous boat you should still have it.

Why bother forgetting it the licence is free other than the cost of printing all 12 pages and if you had a license on a previous boat you should still have it.

Dunno - just want to go on the wild side, be a rebel, ride the winds (depending on how many sprouts of course) - or too goddam lazy!

I understood you could carry VHF but actually only need a licence if you intend to transmit (we carry one to listen out for commercial boats and monitor the comms with the lockies as to what they are up to)

True: the licence is for the transmitter. However, communication does work both ways. Monitoring the comms with the lockies is all very well, but it is MUCH more useful to be (legally) able to tell them you're just round the corner. IMO, less hassle all round to do a VHF course ;)

Iain

Even if you're under 20m it's worth having a VHF particularly in Holland where we used ours a fair amount.

On the French canals you only really need a VHFs to comply with the regs (if you're over 20m)

Only had use for it once in 4 years in France when the boat we were cruising with radioed us to politely ask if we would pull over so he could come alongside as his boat was on fire.

Even if you're under 20m it's worth having a VHF particularly in Holland where we used ours a fair amount.

On the French canals you only really need a VHFs to comply with the regs (if you're over 20m)

Only had use for it once in 4 years in France when the boat we were cruising with radioed us to politely ask if we would pull over so he could come alongside as his boat was on fire.

Of course you said yes, and then they were both on fire ?

Peter.

Of course you said yes, and then they were both on fire ?

Peter.

He had a 'smouldering fire' in his engine room below the wheelhouse. Smoke coming up through the dashboard.

We moored pretty quickly and he doused the area with 2 CO2 extinguishers but it flared up again.

We ran a water hose (and a lamp) from our boat to his as he'd had to turn off all his electricity due to a sparking terminal.

Eventually got it out - took 30+ minutes of us alternately going down in his engine hole. Took a long time to find because it was smouldering between a 18mm ply bulkhead and some insulation in an inaccessible spot behind his genny.

It is a wholly wooden MFV on which they had lived for 30+ years - and thankfully still do - in Sandwich, Kent.

We had discussed and were prepared to cut it adrift and clear off!

Biggles is planning to come to France and does need an ICC with Inland Endorsement. You do need both a licence to have the VHF on board plus "user's" certification, and for a vessel over 20m on the continent you need 2 VHFs and they must be ATIS enabled.

Probably entirely academic, I doubt that I'll ever have the time or money to do it, and if I did the regs would probably have changed by then, but what would be the certs etc needed these days (navigation and radio) to take my little tug (just under 11m long) to the Continent? In an ideal world I'd like to visit Brittany etc., and the Netherlands. Is ATIS needed on smaller vessels?

Tim