Fuel on K & A Bradford to Bath?

Posset

Featured Posts

Can somebody tell us where we can get fuel between Bradford on Avon and Bath over the weekend? We don't know how much fuel our new boat holds (it has about 5" in the tank but no gauge) in its stern tank and I would like to get some asap.

Unfortunately The Coal Boat is not available this weekend lol.

Can somebody tell us where we can get fuel between Bradford on Avon and Bath over the weekend? We don't know how much fuel our new boat holds (it has about 5" in the tank but no gauge) in its stern tank and I would like to get some asap.

Well in Bath there's Bath Narrowboats at Sydney Wharf I can't recall the others en route tto BOA

Menttioning Bath narrowboats do they sell diesel at the cusomers desired declaration or are they being silly and insisting on tthe 60/40 split.

What's self dec? Is that something to do with the government?

Some canal services that sell diesel insist on selling diesel at the 60/40 split tthat is 60% of fuel wih no tax and 40% with. However myself and probably many ohers for what ever reason believe their percentage use of the untaxed is higher say 80/20 even 90/10 they should be able to declare that usage themselves on purchase. Outletts that insist on 60/40 won't be geting any business from me as I wouldn't even bother to stop att such an outlet.

Any outlet should allow the customer to self declare. There may be other terminology as well :lol:

I don't know the K&A but this site lists a lot of diesel outlets, the price info is only as good as boaters report. Sue's site gives info on splits here

Thanks everyone. I may have to settle for the 60/40 then.

Why? Nobody has said that that is the only option. Indeed, if you read the replies, they indicate that all outlets are self declaration. Well, those that boat here say so. You may get a different opinion from somebody who passed through here, sometime in the past, or even an authorative comment ffrom somebody who moors in a marina up north.

Or try Digger, his sign advertises diesel at 80 pence a liter.

Some canal services that sell diesel insist on selling diesel at the 60/40 split tthat is 60% of fuel wih no tax and 40% with. However myself and probably many ohers for what ever reason believe their percentage use of the untaxed is higher say 80/20 even 90/10 they should be able to declare that usage themselves on purchase. Outletts that insist on 60/40 won't be geting any business from me as I wouldn't even bother to stop att such an outlet.

Any outlet should allow the customer to self declare. There may be other terminology as well :lol:

and there was me thinking it is other way round.

Link to HMRC

Posset

As a CCer I regularly declare 20/80 propulsion/non propulsion (and keep records to prove usage),

ps. all electric boat (no gas on board) and never overstay unless in an emergency

and there was me thinking it is other way round.

Link to HMRC

Posset

As a CCer I regularly declare 20/80 propulsion/non propulsion (and keep records to prove usage),

ps. all electric boat (no gas on board) and never overstay unless in an emergency

You're right of course, I never realised I had that 60/40 the wrong way around. I also have separate bow tanks for heating so on purchases for that I'll be declaring 100% when they're filled.

Edited by Julynian

So what should people declare if say they never had a diesel fired stove or central heating but had to run the engine most of the day when moored up just to get hot water and to charge the house batteries?

That would be non-propulsion, so claim 100% non-propulsion... however, if you turned up in your boat to re-fuel, that would obviously be some propulsion, so you need to declare what you can justify if asked to by the HMR and C.... that's always assuming the outlet you purchase from will allow

self-declaration

Nick

Thanks Nick, There was no mention on the HMRC link so thought I would ask. We will have to see how much we use the boat for propulsion as we have only just purchased the boat. I have found it can take 6hrs running the engine just to get a decent tank of hot water and charge in the batteries. B)

No Probs ...

There's oodles of info here, and you seem to be new to the canals, or at least boat owning, as we all were once...

One thing though, it is VERY expensive to have to run the main engine to just charge the batteries or get hot water, so it will be worthwhile to consider the alternatives.

The best solutions for you will depend on how the boat is going to be used and at what intervals, but I would say solar panels will likely look after the batteries ( need to be kept as fully charged as possible

all the time else they will die from sulphation) and some sort of stove / boiler to get the water hot - various options here, all with pros and cons

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx