Soon to set sail again!

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm currently on a work placement in Huddersfield so since September I've been paying for 2 moorings - my 'home' mooring in Birmingham and my current mooring in Huddersfield. And now I've had enough (and I can't afford to be paying for two moorings!) so I shall be cruising around West Yorkshire from March to July before heading home to Brum. I can't wait! My plan is Huddersfield ---> Slaithwaite ---> Huddersfield ---> Brighouse ---> Elland ---> Salterhebble ---> Sowerby Bridge ---> Hebden Bridge ---> Brighouse ---> Mirfield ---> Dewsbury ---> Wakefield. By then it should be July and hopefully I'll be off to Keadby to tackle the mighty Trent. Why would anyone want to stay put when they can do this and save money into the bargain?

Does anyone have any advice / tips for these mooring spots? I arrived in a rush down the Rochdale / Calder & Hebble last summer so didn't really have any time to appreciate my surroundings.

I hope the weather improves a little by March it's been snowing most of the day!

Edited by Dave_P

Some great places around the area - just by lock 17 on the HNC at Linthwaite is particularly nice with the fabulous Sair Inn a mere 1 in 5 hill away.

Huddersfield, you should be able to moor around the basin opposite Sainsbury's

Great mooring at Cooper Bridge between the C&H lock off the river and the flood gates

Mirfield - good moorings opposite the Navigation. Also, the Flower Pot, a short stride along Station Road is now excellent.

Great moorings at Broad Cut but not sure if a bus to Hudds goes past

Moorings at Horbury Bridge are on a direct bus route and next to a pub.

Moorings at Brighouse by Sainsburys - not too hot on Brighouse pubs.

Elland - moor by the Barge and Barrel.

Agree with all the above.

Good moorings in Sowerby Bridge opposite my boat, with good facilities and excellent boatyard, and worth the walk along Wharf Street and Hollins Lane to the Puzzle Hall, the best pub in the area ((but hard to find) or alternatively up the hill in the opposite direction to the Shepherd's Rest.

Best Canalside pub is Stubbing's Wharf, beyond Hebden.

Worth going futher if you can, to Gauxholme Arches beyond Todmorden, for the Mason's Arms.

The Navigation at Broad Cut was closed last summer for refurbishment after flooding - is it open again?

Edited to say that the Commercial in Slaithwaithe (pronunciation varies, but Slawit or Slathwit locally) is best at present - quietest moorings are above the Guillotine Lock (which is an experience in itself - the only manual guillotine on the canal system - I counted 160 turns of the windlass).

And if you're going that far, you might as well go on to Marsden, a really nice place - you don't have to go through the tunnel now, and there is a very regular bus and train service to Huddersfield. The Riverhead is the pub of choice there.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet