Moving my boat

Delta9

Featured Posts

So it's nearly time to take possession of my boat, and I plan to take some lessons before I go out for a cruise. The only problem is that I will need to move the boat to a different mooring in the same marina as soon as I get the keys. Is this something that I can attempt after only reading about how to do it, or is that going to end badly? It sounds fairly easy and I won't be moving very far. If I can't do it do you think I'll be able to talk someone at the marina into helping me?

Also, can anyone recommend someone for lessons in the Warwickshire area?

Thanks.

So it's nearly time to take possession of my boat, and I plan to take some lessons before I go out for a cruise. The only problem is that I will need to move the boat to a different mooring in the same marina as soon as I get the keys. Is this something that I can attempt after only reading about how to do it, or is that going to end badly? It sounds fairly easy and I won't be moving very far. If I can't do it do you think I'll be able to talk someone at the marina into helping me?

Also, can anyone recommend someone for lessons in the Warwickshire area?

Thanks.

I think you will find plenty of help and advice in the marina .. maybe more than can be accommodated on your deck if I am any judge of boaters

Whereabouts in Warwickshire and what marina? You may find the marina people will move it for you if you ask nicely...

which marina- that will open up lots of offers !

Wigrams Turn, near to Southam

Edited by Delta9

Do take at least one experienced bod with you - for a beginner it's fine iin a straight line, but manoeuvring can be a sod. Well do I remember my attempts as a beginner to turn our first boat 'Octavia' round in Wilton Marina on a windy day. I did apologise to the chap whose boat I bumped into.

I went to these for some training

http://www.willowwrentraining.co.uk/

For boat moving, ask Tony in the office he will probably point you in the right direction. Is you boat a NB or a wide beam?

Or, I moor in the sister marina to Wigrams, not far away and may be able to help if needed, if a NB. Sorry no experience in WB's.

PM me if needed.

Edited by Ray T

I went to these for some training

http://www.willowwrentraining.co.uk/

For boat moving, ask Tony in the office he will probably point you in the right direction. Is you boat a NB or a wide beam?

Or, I moor in the sister marina to Wigrams, not far away and may be able to help if needed, if a NB. Sorry no experience in WB's.

PM me if needed.

Thanks. It's just a 35ft NB so I may give you a message, I'll try the marina staff first.

Depends when you want to do it but I may be up for giving you a hand.

Thanks, It's going to be in about two weeks, sounds like someone on the marina will be able to help though. I guess I'll post back here if that turns out not to be the case!

Don't stress about it though - it's really not too bad. People take to it differently too. I found it reasonably tricky to learn to manouvre (anything other than forwards) although am now proficient. My husband, on the other hand, took to it immediately. He's an HGV driver and I think compared to an artic a narrowboat is not so challenging :D

As we are all advertising our friends, Union Canal Carriers do the RYA handling course, here :- http://www.unioncanalcarriers.co.uk/RYA%20Training.htm

Quite expensive though.

Edited by David Schweizer

The NB method would be to pole it short distances, the cruiser method could be a significant length of rope and haul it manually.

Yes take a mate or a trainer for your first real cruise. There is little so dis-spiriting as trying to learn all the finer points of close range moving on your first voyage.

Depending on when you want to do it, I can probably give you hand too if you can get me from Hillmorton on the way.

Yep, Coasty is getting pretty good at narrowboat steering. She hasn't crashed Reg or run him aground for AGES now.

:ninja:

MtB

Do take at least one experienced bod with you - for a beginner it's fine iin a straight line, but manoeuvring can be a sod. Well do I remember my attempts as a beginner to turn our first boat 'Octavia' round in Wilton Marina on a windy day. I did apologise to the chap whose boat I bumped into.

Ah, that's where you went wrong, y'see. If it's a windy day, don't bother trying to turn the boat. Just moor up and open a beer and go on a different day. That's the boating way. ;):cheers:

Ah, that's where you went wrong, y'see. If it's a windy day, don't bother trying to turn the boat. Just moor up and open a beer and go on a different day. That's the boating way. ;):cheers:

You don't generally need to actually moor up, when a howling gale has has pinned you firmly against the far side of the marina...

MtB

Oh, I agree. But some work needed doing on her (I forget what it was) and the chap arrived and casually said "Just turn her round first". Er, yes - how?