blue in cassette toilets

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

Formaldehyde-based products like Blue are outdated, old technology. They just pickle the waste to mask the smell.

Most people are moving to bio-based products that introduce aerobic microbes to the waste. Try Odorloss, Bio-magic, or even biological clothes washing liquid.

I think you put any product to treat the waste into the waste tank. Other products are available to make the flushing water look nice - I'm not sure if they have any other function?

Edit: Once you've used Blue in a tank it will take several emptying/rinsing cycles before you can use a biological alternative - Blue kills everything.

Edited by blackrose

I have just bought a thretford c200 cassette toilet with its own water flush tank( one that doesnt need to be plumbed in)

and was wondering do you just put the blue in the cassette or actually in the flush tank so the flush water is blue??

Hi

You put it in the cassette itself. As Blackrose says it is old technology and has been superseeded by other products but having said that and having tried everything in my 23 years liveaboard we still use and will continue to use blue. :cheers:

Tim

I have just bought a thretford c200 cassette toilet with its own water flush tank( one that doesnt need to be plumbed in)

and was wondering do you just put the blue in the cassette or actually in the flush tank so the flush water is blue??

Cassette tank only. If you want to add something to the flush holding tanks you can use this -

AQUARINSEPINK-500x500.jpg

But people generally seem to consider it to be a waste of money.

Not convinced the bio ones are much good in a cassette. Not enough time to get a fermentation going.

I use blue in the cassette - about half a capful if proper Elsan blue, nearer a capful if cheaper (and therefore not) stuff.

Hi

You put it in the cassette itself. As Blackrose says it is old technology and has been superseeded by other products but having said that and having tried everything in my 23 years liveaboard we still use and will continue to use blue. :cheers:

Tim

Ditto, and in the top tank we use Elsan Pink, on some caravan forums the thetford pink has been accused of causing blackspot in the tank :/

I stopped using Blue or anything in my cassette years ago, I find them just a waste of money. If you keep the slide only cracked open a touch to prevent pressure build up and the lids down they don't smell at all, only when you empty them of course, but with a peg affixed upon your bugle you won't notice it.

Blue Bags look like a good alternative:

http://travellinginnodirection.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/toilet-talk-but-only-cassette-users.html

I stopped using Blue or anything in my cassette years ago, I find them just a waste of money. If you keep the slide only cracked open a touch to prevent pressure build up and the lids down they don't smell at all, only when you empty them of course, but with a peg affixed upon your bugle you won't notice it.

Exactly. Simple, costs nothing, but nobody listens.

Aerobic digestion.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

Hi

It varies greatly all over the place depending on what product it is, the quantity purchased etc etc

Tim

I know, its a bit of a nightmare comparing prices and making sure they're like-for-like comparisons. It would be worth assuming a quantity such as 1l-5l bottles, ie something a boater would be able to purchase and store; and would last a little while. The products may vary too - in concentration and active chemical. I'm happy with formaldehyde based ones, if you want to compare others then I guess you'd need to compare on recommended dosage concentration or something?

We used blue in our cassette (c250) but didn't like the smell of the blue! Since then tried Yeast tablets (not convinced they work) and now are using bio washing liquid (concentrated) (stuff suitable for cold wash) - and this does seem to be working (we also still add the yeast tablets (just because we still have some) and this does seem to be the best (least smell, or rather least unpleasant smell!). And we always leave the flap fully open (it is the anaerobic - i.e. don't like oxygen, bugs that stink!)

You put 60ml per 10 ltr's waste tank capacity. Reduce it accordingly to your tank size. Do not add to the flush water tank. If not sure, read the instructions on the bottle like I just did!

The cheapest fluid we've found is Camping Gaz's own product at £1.99 for 2 ltrs available at any caravan/camping shop.

We've had a Thetford 365 for the last 10 years and have only had to replace the seal once and have emptied it twice!

I wouldn't advocate leaving the seal open as any monsters lurking within can escape.

Chloe

You put 60ml per 10 ltr's waste tank capacity. Reduce it accordingly to your tank size. Do not add to the flush water tank. If not sure, read the instructions on the bottle like I just did!

The cheapest fluid we've found is Camping Gaz's own product at £1.99 for 2 ltrs available at any caravan/camping shop.

We've had a Thetford 365 for the last 10 years and have only had to replace the seal once and have emptied it twice!

I wouldn't advocate leaving the seal open as any monsters lurking within can escape.

Chloe

Thetford 365, emptied it twice in ten years? seems very restrained