Trent in Red and sunk boats

matty40s

Featured Posts

I have been trying to get a boat to Pillings Lock from Rugby since the end of November.....floods, ice, floods, stoppages, floods again....has meant it got as far as Sawley on 8th Jan and was stuck.

Red Hill lock finally opened on Wednesday lunchtime, (even though CaRT said it was re-opened last Friday) so it was up to Sawley Cut with Kiwidad for the move......then , bad news, CaRT txt - Trent in flood again!!!!

Well, with a good look at the levels and above the flood lock 18" into red, below Sawley Lock just an inch or so into red, the thought was , it's downhill, so lets go!!

red light ahead

IMAG0005_zpsdff3d748.jpg

full speed ahead - mill pond still at 4 knots, plus the boat speed...

IMAG0006_zps3975dbe4.jpg

Ratcliffe power station steaming away

IMAG0007_zps5a6b0b80.jpg

Empty visitor moorings

IMAG0008_zpsafdcf247.jpg

Narowboat sunk below red hill lock

IMAG0011_zps095bec6d.jpg

One of the red hill tugs - other one not visible

IMAG0013_zps7dc7c2b7.jpg

damage done to a storm drain, completely filled in with gravel and silt

IMAG0014_zps14ffbd1f.jpg

There has been a considerable amount of damage to the Soar with banks eroded away, new sandbanks appearing (watch out for the one just above Ratcliffe lock on the East side - halfway across the cut). CaRT have been busy clearing the mud from some locks, but Kegworth is still bogging. There is also a massive amount of rubbish, wood and muck all over the banks to a high level

There were at least 3 sunk boats, a couple on top or hanging off pontoons, and a narowboat completely out of the water above Ratcliffe wier.

CaRT have had the marine survey vessel down this week to assess depths and channel so there may be some dredging planned in a few spots.

Edited by matty40s

There were at least 3 sunk boats, a couple on top or hanging off pontoons, and a narowboat completely out of the water above Ratcliffe wier.

is this a 58'-60' all green NB ? if so i think its the one that was washed over the weir last may.

Dutch barge had a 30 t one tree nearly rip it off those visitor moorings last flood.. Boat called Joseph Wright. The owners said they had to abandon the boat for a week as it looked like the force of the river on the trapped tree might rip the boat off the pontoon. They have moved to above Trent Lock now. Lovely couple.

Glad you got up the Soar ok... I find it scary travelling on a quick river.,, no room for any error.

is this a 58'-60' all green NB ? if so i think its the one that was washed over the weir last may.

It was CMing on the offside when I last went down/up. and was still ok in September ish, it hasn't gone over the wier, it has gone onto the top of the wier island and is now waterless underneath. The boat that almost went over the wier in May is moored at Pillings I think, it was pulled off backwards after a couple of days.

It was CMing on the offside when I last went down/up. and was still ok in September ish, it hasn't gone over the wier, it has gone onto the top of the wier island and is now waterless underneath.

yep thats the one, we were moored opposite it in may when it came undone. at least he might be able to get a crane to it now.

yep thats the one, we were moored opposite it in may when it came undone. at least he might be able to get a crane to it now.

doubt it, he is on the island between two river streams, not on the island near the A453. I came past him last December on the way to Shardlow and his front end was untied and drifting over the river (when the rivers had no flow!!). I almost stopped to stick his front pin back in until I sae him at the hatch window.

doubt it, he is on the island between two river streams, not on the island near the A453. I came past him last December on the way to Shardlow and his front end was untied and drifting over the river (when the rivers had no flow!!). I almost stopped to stick his front pin back in until I sae him at the hatch window.

ahh ok,, the green one must still be behind the tree's then, its in the stream at the side of the weir (field side). you can actually see it from the road just before the second bridge.

In a tree by the brook, there's a narrowboat who stands,

Sometimes all of our moorings are forgiven

Ooh, it makes me wonder.

poor chap, but mooring down there for so long was a recipe for disaster, moving into a lock could have protected him.

Humm..thanks for great pictures and up to date information about conditions on the Trent and Soar, not sounding good. We had hoped to be moving towards Loughborough this week and have been obsessively watching the EA gauges and checking from trains as we whizz by, we had thought things didn't look too bad. It's been raining steadily for the last 12 hours so I guess the levels will rise again.

We know the Trent and Soar are problematic but this winter does seem bad. Yesterday we met a couple with a new boat who have spent 2 months trying to move from Sheffield onto the canal system.

Humm..thanks for great pictures and up to date information about conditions on the Trent and Soar, not sounding good. We had hoped to be moving towards Loughborough this week and have been obsessively watching the EA gauges and checking from trains as we whizz by, we had thought things didn't look too bad. It's been raining steadily for the last 12 hours so I guess the levels will rise again.

We know the Trent and Soar are problematic but this winter does seem bad. Yesterday we met a couple with a new boat who have spent 2 months trying to move from Sheffield onto the canal system.

Think I know the couple you mean. They were stuck at Torksey for an age!

I know of all the sunken boats that matty has took pics of, they have been there since before Christmas, the NB so I hear is an 'insurance job' no prizes for guessing there as the owners live in the house to where it is moored :rolleyes:

Redhill flood gates shut again and upon me leaving this afternoon river was rapidly rising yet again.... :(

River rose at Sileby while we were working on Tyto this morning. Looked like it was in the red but didn't walk over to the lock to check as it was p................g down!! We are glad that Tyto is partially under cover in a wet dock it makes it easier to work on her.

Hello Eve - thanks for loan of husband yesterday!!

Edited by Richard T

Hi

I am planning on travelling towards the 'North' via Lincoln. Setting off from Barton Turns Marina on Friday.

Any advice on the best places to moor in between dashes on the River sections on the Trent that are unlikely to be affected by rising river levels.

Thanks

Kath

alias 'scaredy Bobcat'

There is quite a bit more rain/snow/sleet forecast tommorow which will keep the levels up. Might be worth waiting a week.

After shardlow, you have the sawley cut, cranfleet cut, then after beeston lock it is safe through nottingham.......

After that...

There is quite a bit more rain/snow/sleet forecast tommorow which will keep the levels up. Might be worth waiting a week.

After shardlow, you have the sawley cut, cranfleet cut, then after beeston lock it is safe through nottingham.......

After that...

Thanks for that. It will be end of Feb beginning of March aiming to be at Cromwell Lock for around 10th March. Have been informed no lockkeepers until 15th March so off to coerce some more crew members!