Learning the ropes, grasping the technical...

Salopgal

Featured Posts

I'll be meeting up with the previous owner of my new boat at the end of Feb (as posted in Living Afloat). But before I do, I'd like to learn from the ground up, all about the technical side of kit on board such as the inverter, calorifier, generator, alternator, batteries - etc, etc. I was absolutely rubbish at Physics at school and have to confess to rather fluffily letting my husband do everything technical in the home in the past 15 years -electrics, plumbing etc - without ever once finding out how it all worked. I'm pretty ashamed about that now...

So very soon, I'll be a single middle aged female in charge of her own boat, and I want to understand it all but need to start right at the bottom with the basics and work up. I mean, I don't know my amps from my watts, but presumably everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So, where would you direct me, either on this forum or on the web/books, to find out and learn a bit, so that my training day makes much more sense and I can do the boat proud by looking after her and keeping her well maintained throughout? I am really serious about making her my life's work, and I don't want to let her, the previous owner who has cared for her so well, or myself, down.

Please help! :help:

Thank you.

KL

I'll be meeting up with the previous owner of my new boat at the end of Feb (as posted in Living Afloat). But before I do, I'd like to learn from the ground up, all about the technical side of kit on board such as the inverter, calorifier, generator, alternator, batteries - etc, etc. I was absolutely rubbish at Physics at school and have to confess to rather fluffily letting my husband do everything technical in the home in the past 15 years -electrics, plumbing etc - without ever once finding out how it all worked. I'm pretty ashamed about that now...

So very soon, I'll be a single middle aged female in charge of her own boat, and I want to understand it all but need to start right at the bottom with the basics and work up. I mean, I don't know my amps from my watts, but presumably everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So, where would you direct me, either on this forum or on the web/books, to find out and learn a bit, so that my training day makes much more sense and I can do the boat proud by looking after her and keeping her well maintained throughout? I am really serious about making her my life's work, and I don't want to let her, the previous owner who has cared for her so well, or myself, down.

Please help! :help:

Thank you.

KL

Hi K

I would read the narrowboat builders book, I know you're not building a boat, but this will give you a full understanding of how stuff works and most likely how and where it's fitted. You be able to easily learn and recognise what individual bits and peices do like pumps batteries inverters etc etc

A lot of stuff won't be easily visible, the book will give a good idea of where certain equipment might be placed. Knowing someone knowledgable of course would be good to, but I reckon the builders book would be a good start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1870002717/ref=asc_df_187000271711832038?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=shopdc35116-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=1870002717

Edited by Julynian

Hi K

I would read the narrowboat builders book, I know you're not building a boat, but this will give you a full understanding of how stuff works and most likely how and where it's fitted. You be able to easily learn and recognise what individual bits and peices do like pumps batteries inverters etc etc

A lot of stuff won't be easily visible, the book will give a good idea of where certain equipment might be placed. Knowing someone knowledgable of course would be good to, but I reckon the builders book would be a good start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1870002717/ref=asc_df_187000271711832038?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=shopdc35116-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=1870002717

Agreed whilst this forum is often portrayed as the 'font' of all knowledge in fact it isn't - it's a good resource, the best on t'internet. Other really good sources of info. are available too. I have that book too.

Hi K

Thanks for that, I've got Nick Billingham's book but not this one you recommend. Really appreciate your post.

KL

I'm still learning but what works for me is to break it down to different systems. Although this won't apply to every boat and there is an overlap I think of my boat as a combination of: Water: Tank, plumbing, calorifier, pump.Leccy: Batteries, charging, RCDs, power use. Engine: Engine, gearbox, fuel tank, morse lever, cables. Heating: Stove, flue, backboiler etc and the rest is external paintwork and internal fixtures and fittings (I don't touch gas, reckon that's worth paying to get right).If you can get an idea in your head how those systems work on your boat, maybe focussing on one at a time I find it less intimidating than trying to understand everything at once.

Here's one way I learned a lot: I wasn't happy with some of the diagrams left by my builder. So I set about tracing the water system myself.

It's really not difficult - start at the water tank (bow) and work back. Look at each thingy on the way (e.g. one might be the so-called accumulator, another the pump), try and work out what it is and if it has any controls etc.

You could do the same for the electricity - start at the batteries and see where the wires go, and try and identify the bits. Same for the shoreline (AC) cabling.

If you can't identify something just post a photo and ask!

A few things worth making a priority (IMHO), how to check oil level, coolant and belt tension before you take the boat out for a run.Only takes five minutes max but a good habit to get into.Also where the grease pump is for the stern gland and how to fill it.If you don't grease the stern gland after a days use the first you will know about will be a dripping noise that sounds ten times worse than it is.Also worth confirming if bilge pump is manual or automatic and confirming it works.Everything else you will pick up over time.

I have found this web site very helpful and useful - courtesy of one of the members on here:

http://www.tb-training.co.uk

This is an excellent, informative site, but I had to chuckle at one of the reasons for intervention of a hire fleet boats

"1 Holding tank will not pump out Remove chicken carcass from tank outlet"

The mind boggles at the stupidity of some folk!

That site is the notes for courses that Tony (Brookes) used to run.

RCR (River canal Rescue) have taken up the baton.

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/courses/

I have just been on the RCR course and it is well, well worth the £100. OK the info is on this site and TB's site, which is fantastic - thanks for making it freely available, Tony, a fantastic resource. he course is practical as well as theory and worth the money for the little "tips" alone. You will more than recoup your investment when you do your first engine service yourself. And there were three women (out of 12) on my course so you are unlikely to be a lone female if that worries you (you could ask when booking).

You might also like to try this site if you have not already found it - lots of useful info for newcomers.

Good Luck

Alan

This is an excellent, informative site, but I had to chuckle at one of the reasons for intervention of a hire fleet boats

Its not just hire boaters, like remove the disposable BBQ from the Elsan disposal point in Ely.

Its not just hire boaters, like remove the disposable BBQ from the Elsan disposal point in Ely.

What a waste, mix in some potting composed and they make excellent seed trays.

Just what you need flowers growing out of your Elsan point :D

Er - did I put in "the shower would not pump out:-

Remove pipes & pump, strip to remove remains of duck that had been plucked and drawn in the shower tray."

Happy days

Er - did I put in "the shower would not pump out:-

Remove pipes & pump, strip to remove remains of duck that had been plucked and drawn in the shower tray."

Happy days

How the hell did you end up with a duck in the shower tray. No David don't go there!