Where did you put all your stuff...?!!

Salopgal

Featured Posts

Me again!

Hope you are not getting sick of my endless questions, but as a newbie, well, you know...

But seriously - what did you do with all your stuff when you downsized from bricks and mortar and moved onto a boat permanently?

I'm hoping to remain living locally, so am going to visit a few neighbours who have outbuildings to see if they'd be happy to rent me some space to store things. At 46 years, and as an artist, I have a library of art books (have an art studio in the garden, stuffed with art-related kit), an inversion table for my back and neck (sounds weird I know, but it fixes me up a treat), and all the other detritus that various hobbies have attracted e.g. biker leathers, sewing machine and fabrics, blah, blah. Not to mention shoes, clothes and all the other female guff!

What did you do? Did you ditch/sell the lot and live wholly on the boat's storage or did you store and stash stuff elsewhere?

What has worked for you? What hasn't?

OK, I'm swimming with gin this evening, so rambling a bit, but this is keeping me awake at night and I'm just interested to learn from other folk who've walked where I'm walking now.

Hope you don't mind.

Thank you! KL :cheers:

Ditched it. Pretty much all of it. Our boat has a lot of storage space and we still have plenty of room. It's easier when your work and hobbies are mostly digital though. It's amazing what you don't actually need. Other than Gin, booze is the thing you are most likely to find when opening a cupboard :)

Rent space in a storage unit and keep all your really important and essential stuff there.

In the first year you might need to go there once or twice to get a couple of things that you really need on the boat.

In the second year you will not go there at all.

In the third year you will not even remember what is there or why you thought you needed it, and realise that it would have been cheaper to have got rid of the whole lot and saved the money.

..........Dave

• Greenie 2

Rent space in a storage unit and keep all your really important and essential stuff there.

In the first year you might need to go there once or twice to get a couple of things that you really need on the boat.

In the second year you will not go there at all.

In the third year you will not even remember what is there or why you thought you needed it, and realise that it would have been cheaper to have got rid of the whole lot and saved the money.

..........Dave

Fair comment. Kind of wishing I'd bought a longer boat, but this was the one that I fell in love with and this is the one I can and will call home. Am happy to strip out the non-essentials and perhaps loan my art library to a fellow artist until I can relieve her of the books. It's an option that has only just occurred to me!

Going to one of the neighbours tomorrow tho' to see about the inversion table as it really is my lifeline to a relatively less painful neck/back...

My wife paints and also makes cards. She had the same problem when we first moved aboard some 13 years ago. The solution was to consider carefully exactly what she used and found that she was able to cut down considerably on the amount of kit she actually needed.

I did the same with tools and guess what....... yes we managed OK

Phil

Stuff in a neighbours loft, a friends loft and son's loft. Stuff in gun cabinets at our rented out house. Rest either fitted in boat or went to BHF shop in Towcester

Or eBay

Edited by jelunga

My friend put everything into storage rented for a year. She visited quite a few times in the first 3 months, a few more of times in the next 3 months, and a couple of times in the next 6 months. At the end of the year, anything she hadn't retrieved was sent to the tip without even looking at what it was.

Binned it, sold it, permanently lent out, gave to charities, stored a few boxes of 'life' with my family. Some time later, halved the stored stuff to the tip. I have a very small bit of stored stuff now, things that I can't part with, like an inherited picture & rocking chair, all I have left of my grandparents.

I then lost nearly all my kept stuff when my ex & I split, & replaced new very easily. Its quite freeing to be less burdened with 'stuff' I find, & it gets easier. You really won't need half of what you think you do!

Same story here, everything has been sold or sent to the tip. I do have a car stored in a council garage, my wife & pretty much everybody else thinks its crazy & it should be sold, & they are right! I'm kind of attached to it though. I get a monthly reminder from my wife how ridiculous I am biggrin.gif

Gave away a load of stuff, sold a bit, threw a bit more away.

I still have Too Much Stuff on the boat, so I'm gradually going through the boxes and weeding out more clutter. Books are my greatest occasion of sin, and getting a Kindle has helped enormously with the problem of excess ballast.

put half in storage and half in the car..which I took to the boat.

Family arrived at boat, but had no space to get in the boat.

Took half out the boat, and sent it back with a friend to be stored in his attic.

Of the stuff left on the boat, we got rid of half after moving it around in the boat for months.

Of the stuff left in the attic, we eventually binned the lot.

After getting a bigger boat, we decided to bring in the stuff from storage. When I took it out of storage I binned half.

After bringing the remaining half to the boat, we ended up binning half of that.

The remainder of all the stuff was moved around the new boat for a few months.

I eventually did a clean up and binned all of it.

Moral of the story is......BIN IT BEFORE YOU GET TO YOUR BOAT....ALL OF IT.!

Gave 95% away, bought some good quality plastic boxes with lids that seal perfectly and have about 8-10 of them in parents garage with the sentimental stuff.

No need for tables, chairs, beds, mattresses etc etc. If we eventually move back to a small house we won't want any of the mouldy crap that I would have stored for quite a few years.

We gave all the decent stuff to our lads and family, kept a few odds and sods in my sons attic which i will probably sort out this year. And my sister as got my 1956 split screen morris minor in her garage under wraps, its a shame she lives in market drayton and we are in gloucester i love that car, but the yellow box company wanted £100 a week for storage.

Me again!

Hope you are not getting sick of my endless questions, but as a newbie, well, you know...

But seriously - what did you do with all your stuff when you downsized from bricks and mortar and moved onto a boat permanently?

I'm hoping to remain living locally, so am going to visit a few neighbours who have outbuildings to see if they'd be happy to rent me some space to store things. At 46 years, and as an artist, I have a library of art books (have an art studio in the garden, stuffed with art-related kit), an inversion table for my back and neck (sounds weird I know, but it fixes me up a treat), and all the other detritus that various hobbies have attracted e.g. biker leathers, sewing machine and fabrics, blah, blah. Not to mention shoes, clothes and all the other female guff!

What did you do? Did you ditch/sell the lot and live wholly on the boat's storage or did you store and stash stuff elsewhere?

What has worked for you? What hasn't?

OK, I'm swimming with gin this evening, so rambling a bit, but this is keeping me awake at night and I'm just interested to learn from other folk who've walked where I'm walking now.

Hope you don't mind.

Thank you! KL :cheers:

I'm in a similar situation. 51 yrs old and moving into a 45 ft boat with 2 large dogs, a parrot, a bass clarinet, 3 clarinet a sax and a flute. And a lifetimes collection of music. That's all I'm taking. Clothes for the season, the rest stored in boxes at parents or in my van. Good luck to us both. I'm moving onto mine at Easter!

I also left a load of stuff in storage when I left my previous abode in the soaken North. When I went to empty it 12 months later (the Mate having allowed me use of her loft), I looked at most of it thinking "why on earth did I bother keeping this?". Except my books, I never get rid of books. However, 2 years ago when I got the books down to get them on the boat, I looked at some of them and thought "why did I buy this?". There were some I couldn't remember buying, and when I read the blurbs and reviews, I wouldn't buy them now. It was like the me of 6 years ago was a completely alien person. Most weird.

As mentioned before, you tend to get a bit brutal after moving something around for the 50th time!

I actually found it quite liberating to get rid of 10 years worth of things that went into my spare room. But there are some things that I have kept like my grandmothers milking stool, I just re paint it to match the fit out of the boat.

I also have a "if it doesn't fit under the bed, it goes" rule! But I have actually managed to store a captans chair & stool under there so I suppose that is cheating a bit.

The only problem then is you have to avoid stuff other people leave at the various water points around the system. Just because it has been left there, you do not NEED it...(Not called pyke for nuffin)