ELECSOLS & O.F.T.

swift1894

Featured Posts

Cannot believe these people are STILL getting away with this & have been for what must be about 10 years now! Really unbelievable.

I first came across the problem at the IWA National on the Thames where a friend of mine stood at their stand complaining until they agreed to change his battery that evenig. he left the stand with the promise that he would be back the next day if they didn't do it that evening as aggreed.

They did

I guess that Elecsol could claim that anybody who buys their batteries has suffered a "self inflicted injury" and so has no grounds for complaint!!!!!

There is so much stuff on the www about Elecsol I am amazed that several reputable dealers still stock them.

Like many bad companies, I expect Elecsol will string you along for as long as they possibly can, but if you really do get the "law" involved they will eventually honour their guarantee. So after many many stressful hours (and expense) on your part you will get.......

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Another set of Crap Elecsol Batteries

Life is too short, cut your losses, buy some Trojan Batteries, and go boating!

..........Dave

Speaking as someone who used and supplied loads of Elecsol batteries in their first incarnation - I'm not sure why they disappeared the first time but I haven't used them since - I could always get through on the phone, or get called back if I left a message. Email was never a good form of communication.

My experience of their batteries is that they are very good batteries but like any battery don't last very long under an abusive regime, though no worse than any other. The only ones I got back were fine after a conditioning charge and I only had to return one as faulty in manufacture and I'm not convinced that wasn't an early death through abuse. Elecsol replaced that one without complaint.

I think people should be reminded that a five year guarantee doesn't mean you can treat them badly and get your money back, it means if any manufacturing faults cause a fault in five years they will be replaced. in my experience they were always well made units.

Though yes, I agree it would have been nice if they had better customer service.

Has anyone tried Honda's so-called five year guarantee on a EU10i or EU20i ?

I had a set of Elecsols some years ago. I was taken in by their "5 year guarantee" and naively thought they would last that long, such was my knowledge of batteries at that time.

I now know that few of us will get 5 years out of nearly any battery unless you have a very vigorous charging regime (like being hooked up to a landline most of the time). Whilst we might think that the battery has failed, it has merely suffered through the type of use it has received. The manufacturers' guarantee will really only be covering manufacturing defects that lead to early failure; I don't think any manufacturer can be expected to cover reduced capacity due to sulphation which is what most of us think of as battery failure.

What we need to do, and make sure other people do, is to understand just what battery failure really is.

Cannot believe these people are STILL getting away with this & have been for what must be about 10 years now! Really unbelievable.

Exactly! It's unbelievable. I can't understand why they haven't been reported. They just claim that their batteries are the virtually indestructable and will survive for 5 years. So if people buy them on that basis they should be held to account if they don't last the course.

That's rubbish. You can destroy a battery easily in a few months and Elecsol guarantee against manufacturing faults not abuse.

There is no such thing as a 'virtually indestructible' battery.

Are there many "manufacturing faults" that would survive say 3 years, but come to light in the next two?

George ex nb Alton retired

I had a set of Elecsols some years ago. I was taken in by their "5 year guarantee" and naively thought they would last that long, such was my knowledge of batteries at that time.

I now know that few of us will get 5 years out of nearly any battery unless you have a very vigorous charging regime (like being hooked up to a landline most of the time). Whilst we might think that the battery has failed, it has merely suffered through the type of use it has received. The manufacturers' guarantee will really only be covering manufacturing defects that lead to early failure; I don't think any manufacturer can be expected to cover reduced capacity due to sulphation which is what most of us think of as battery failure.

What we need to do, and make sure other people do, is to understand just what battery failure really is.

But Elecsol claim that their batteries can't sulphate!! QUOTE "No plate sulphation. Incredible but true!" Just read their brochure.

http://www.elecsolbatteries.com/e-brochures/leisure-brochure.html

I'm sorry but I'm from Yorkshire and I say what I mean and it's time for Elecsol to say what they mean too and stop lying!

That's rubbish. You can destroy a battery easily in a few months and Elecsol guarantee against manufacturing faults not abuse.

There is no such thing as a 'virtually indestructible' battery.

But Elecsol claim that their batteries can't sulphate!! QUOTE "No plate sulphation. Incredible but true!" Just read their brochure.

http://www.elecsolba...e-brochure.html

I'm sorry but I'm from Yorkshire and I say what I mean and it's time for Elecsol to say what they mean too and stop lying!

I to am from Yorkshire and say what I mean - my Elecsol's are in their 7th year of service and have performed flawlessly. I've looked after them and they've looked after me.

Edited by Theo
add a ]

I'm sorry but I'm from Yorkshire and I say what I mean and it's time for Elecsol to say what they mean too and stop lying

I to am from Yorkshire and say what I mean - my Elecsol's are in their 7th year of service and have performed flawlessly. I've looked after them and they've looked after me.

Glad to hear it.

Are you implying that I haven't looked after mine?

My 1st set of Elecsols (wet) also lasted 7 years that's why I bought another set (sealed)and they've given up after 4years.

Sit yourself down for the evening, get a bottle of strong beer, and put "Elecsol Complaints" into Google. My favourite is the man who was told to return his battery to the "office" on 2nd Jan and when he arrived found a note on the door saying "closed till 3rd Jan".

Elecsol appear to be a big confidence trick by just one man: Research, Manufacturing, Sales, Service and International headquarters are all contained in just one little unit on an industrial park in the Wirral.

Dave (recovering Elecsol Victim)

A fortnight a year off the charger is a long way from a life off grid.

You don't give enough information to make the distinction and as such your comment adds nothing to the discussion.

We had a pair, they did the first 4 months perfectly, but didn't make it through winter to work the following spring. Treated the same as the batteries before and after then which have most made the half decade mark with ease.

Our theory is they have a high self discharge rate, and hence work well if used regularly but badly if not. This is however not based on much testing.

Daniel

Well you don't have that much to complain about then. In contrast to the tone of your OP and twin shout titles.

Hmm! So you think it's OK for Elecsol to guarantee their batteries for 5 years and say they can't sulphate. And I should just accept that mine have sulphated after 4 years and leave it at that?

Do you also think it's OK for Elecsol to state " they can be continuously over discharged or even left in a discharged state permanently with no loss of capacity on recharge" ?

Edited by swift1894

Hmm! So you think it's OK for Elecsol to guarantee their batteries for 5 years and say they can't sulphate. And I should just accept that mine have sulphated after 4 years and leave it at that?

Do you also think it's OK for Elecsol to state " they can be continuously over discharged or even left in a discharged state permanently with no loss of capacity on recharge" ?

Have the ends of the cases bowed out? If so that is most likley sulphate because it takes up more space than lead oxide. IF they have not bowed out I am afraid that you need an expert to take them apart and give a written report. IF you then have any indication of oxide my advice would be to contact the advertising standards people and make a complaint. You can do it on line. Then there will follow months of intermittent communications and then you might bet an adjudication that upholds your complaint. None of this will help you but you will think it will help the community at large. Then you find out the ASA is a toothless kitten and can not do much more than tell Elecsol they are naughty boys and must not say such things again.

Having been through this re a certain generator I would say don't bother unless it will help you unwind. Despite being easy to do the phone calls and letters get are OTT. There is also no certainty that the ASA bods will not get the wool pulled and then they will ignore you and side with Elecsol rather than consult experts.

Have the ends of the cases bowed out? If so that is most likley sulphate because it takes up more space than lead oxide. IF they have not bowed out I am afraid that you need an expert to take them apart and give a written report. IF you then have any indication of oxide my advice would be to contact the advertising standards people and make a complaint. You can do it on line. Then there will follow months of intermittent communications and then you might bet an adjudication that upholds your complaint. None of this will help you but you will think it will help the community at large. Then you find out the ASA is a toothless kitten and can not do much more than tell Elecsol they are naughty boys and must not say such things again.

Having been through this re a certain generator I would say don't bother unless it will help you unwind. Despite being easy to do the phone calls and letters get are OTT. There is also no certainty that the ASA bods will not get the wool pulled and then they will ignore you and side with Elecsol rather than consult experts.

Thanks for your comments. I do have better things to do with my life then spend it chasing my tail.

It just amazes me that Elecsol can get away with such obvious lies about sulphation etc

Thanks for your comments. I do have better things to do with my life then spend it chasing my tail.

It just amazes me that Elecsol can get away with such obvious lies about sulphation etc

One of the consumer programs like "Watchdog" might like to take up this story.

Anyone talked to them?

OK, there's a cost involved, but how about taking them to the small claims court?

You notice how in all of this it is left up to the ordinary chap to take action while the powers that be continually reduce the amount of money and resources spent on consumer protection.

Sorry for a rant but it seems to me that successive governments have been very keen to carry out massive changes and address international affairs but remarkably reluctant to address all those things that ordinary citizens feel are unfair to them.

Some examples:-

The price you see must be the price you pay, ban P&P as extra - so we can easily compare airline prices, the true cost of items on the internet and shopping channels.

Make it punishable with a very substantial fine if any organisation gives new customers a better deal than existing customers.

Ban discounts for using direct debits where many companies have a long standing record of abusing customers who use such payment methods.

And so I could go on.

Swift has a good point but it is not going to be solved any time soon.