Fibreglass narrowboat... ?

Lily

Featured Posts

Fibreline made two boats at 55ft three at 45 and one at 30ft then was sold and mothballed. 55ft unit was the longest possible at the time and was a record. The one in the photo in this article was the first produced. It's hull is 32 mm thick including 2layers of Kevlar. The structure has ribs and bulkheads . The hull shape has a chine and was more stable than a steel boat with a flat bottom. The drive system made it able to steer in reverse, sto wit hint half it's length. It never took off. Dawn craft,and I had one, hull is less than 10mm thick and always failed in going over 30 ft.

One day hopefully someone will produce a new fibreglass narrowboat. If I had the monies to do so I would.

Ambition was mine it is still registered I would like to now where she is, and the others too

The likelihood of osmosis was taken seriously in production process and I think it not a problem. Gel coats do need attending after 20 years so can be seen, but that's just a paint job.

Would like to hear from you as to the whereabouts of the 7 boats built?

There is a 45' Fibreline on the Bridgewater in Manchester, up for sale locally! The 45' mould is also here in the North West

Having cruised on the Broads for many years Osmosis is something that often comes up. The consensus amongst local surveyors is that it is likely any boat of around 5 years old will have it, albeit it only slightly. The problem however will increase with the years and especially so if the boat is not taken out of the water and allowed to dry out, preferably annually. The problem apparently is that gel coat is porous. All that said. Osmosis can be treated at a cost but it is hardly ever terminal, especially on fresh water boats.

There is a Wilderness GRP narrowboat just turn up at our marina. Looks an interesting vessel.

Having cruised on the Broads for many years Osmosis is something that often comes up. The consensus amongst local surveyors is that it is likely any boat of around 5 years old will have it, albeit it only slightly. The problem however will increase with the years and especially so if the boat is not taken out of the water and allowed to dry out, preferably annually. The problem apparently is that gel coat is porous. All that said. Osmosis can be treated at a cost but it is hardly ever terminal, especially on fresh water boats.

Osmosis isnt the great killer of GRP hulls that many would seem to think it is.

The surveyor we had look at our boat whilst it was out this winter reckoned that most fresh water boats over the age of ten years will be showing some signs of osmosis, if not in blisters than in higher moisture readings in the hull. Boats kept on salt water will usually gain a few extra years.

Localised patches of osmotic blisters can be relatively easily and cheaply treated by someone who is a confident DIYer. For the full professional treatments which involve stripping the gelcoat, grinding back the matting and replacing with an epoxy resin you are looking at the many thousands. A 32fter we know is having the treatment right now at a cost of £8k, shockingly this boat is only 9 years old but had severe case of osmosis. So severe the surveyor had never seen it so bad in such a young boat and had to get a second opinion and the hull manufacturer involved!!

Keeping on top of the hull maintanence below the waterline is just another part of GRP boat ownership. Unfortunately not that many (especially the older they get) GRP boats get to spend time ashore drying out a little each year.

The main cause of Osmosis is voids in the lay-up. Older boats are less susceptable because the hulls were layed up much more carefully and voids were avoided. Water can only penetrate by Osmosis if there is somewhere for it to go, ie a void so no voids = no osmosis plus just about any boat with Osmosis will out live its owner.

Phil

It is worth reading up about it as those in the know (surveyors) will tell you that it is sometimes better to leave the blisters rather than trying to grind them out and fill. The blistering starts off small and there can be many of them (like a rash) and in any event it is not just a case of grinding out and filling with gel coat.

Each to their own NC. Having just sold a GRP cruiser and having been on the end of several surveys of these vessels in the past, and by different surveyors, I can only say it as I see it. Yes, it is my opinion and the opinion of others more professional than I. But yes I doubt if it is a consensus nothing ever is. All I would add is that Osmosis is caused by moisture penetrating the gel coat and whilst the blisters are the visual evidence a lack of blistering does not mean Osmosis is not in evidence. It follows that unless the boat can be properly dried out any repair will be cosmetic and the problem will continue to evolve.

Either way this is just my opinion and I have no great problem with Osmosis now as I have replaced worrying about it with worrying about corrosion :-)

It is worth reading up about it as those in the know (surveyors) will tell you that it is sometimes better to leave the blisters rather than trying to grind them out and fill. The blistering starts off small and there can be many of them (like a rash) and in any event it is not just a case of grinding out and filling with gel coat.

Correct,once the blisters have been ground back it is common practice to dry out the hull with infra red heat until the moisture content in the laminate has been greatly reduced

CT

Correct,once the blisters have been ground back it is common practice to dry out the hull with infra red heat until the moisture content in the laminate has been greatly reduced

CT

After washing several times to remove the chemicals caused by the reaction and drying each time.

It's a lengthy process hence the high cost of getting the job done professionally.

I'm not sure many GRP boat owners worry about osmosis to be quite frank.

I think you're right Phylis, when moored on the Broads I never knew anyone who had Osmosis or was bothered about it (over 10 years)

Phil

We know plenty who have it but very few who are bothered about it.

The only reason the one that has gone for stripping is being done is that they want to sell it and dont want to get knocked down too much on the price. Its an expensive boat!!

It seems to have become an accepted "condition" on the broads these days and anyone buying second hand expects Osmosis to be present and does not expect to have to take remedial action.

Far cry from a few years ago when grp boats were deemed doomed on the basis that Osmosis would eat away at the integrity of the hull!

• 4 weeks later...

I Think that two are in the Loughborough area, one on the CRT moorings at Bishops Meadow and the other on private moorings between Mountsorrel and Barrow. I'll take photos next time I go past them.

As promised heres a photo of the one at Mountsorrel

IMG_0207_zpsba42af4f.jpg

It seems to have become an accepted "condition" on the broads these days and anyone buying second hand expects Osmosis to be present and does not expect to have to take remedial action.

Far cry from a few years ago when grp boats were deemed doomed on the basis that Osmosis would eat away at the integrity of the hull!

a 45 year old boat built of almost any material, unless very lucky, will have something wrong.

my cruiser is that age and was obviously well made and I have not discovered any osmosis. (but that doesn't mean that there isn't some lurking somewhere of course)

I bet few steel boats of that age won't have a thin spot or two

I'm not sure many GRP boat owners worry about osmosis to be quite frank.

I was told by some lumpy water types that osmosis is much less of a problem in anything built this side of the 90's as GRP technology is improving all the time. To the extent where it's now pretty much a non issue. Is this your experience?

I was told by some lumpy water types that osmosis is much less of a problem in anything built this side of the 90's as GRP technology is improving all the time. To the extent where it's now pretty much a non issue. Is this your experience?

depends....I think some of the early stuff was over engineered and the glassing done very carefully and some was skimped, both as a result of inexperience. My cruiser, built by Orme and Sons, is thankfully one of the better ones (and was extremely expensive at the time). Later it seemed to be an era when everybody was building GRP and some of the stuff was frankly crap and the laying up was not done to best practice. Modern thought as I understand it is to reduce the amount of pigment used and to avoid certain colours that are particularly prone to problems

depends....I think some of the early stuff was over engineered and the glassing done very carefully and some was skimped, both as a result of inexperience. My cruiser, built by Orme and Sons, is thankfully one of the better ones (and was extremely expensive at the time). Later it seemed to be an era when everybody was building GRP and some of the stuff was frankly crap and the laying up was not done to best practice. Modern thought as I understand it is to reduce the amount of pigment used and to avoid certain colours that are particularly prone to problems

Gelcoat,the Thixotropic layer(S) of resin that are laid into the mould before Layup of glass and clear resin are applied,tends to absorb more moisture when it is heavily pigmented.

In the eighties there was a tendency to us clear Polyester resin or Epoxy resin instead of coloured resin up to the Waterline.

I once saw a Brand new 35 footer awaiting Fit -out that had Blistering before it had ever been immersed in water!

CT

I have been reliably informed that on Royal Navy minehunters you can see daylight through the hull !

A coloured resin layer if often used last to occlude light,this is done to reassure Tupperists that their hull is of solid construction!

I would imagine that the Navy minesweeper crews would be delighted to see a Magnetic mine drift by rather than being attracted to their Plastic Vessel?captain.gif

CT

I would imagine that the Navy minesweeper crews would be delighted to see a Magnetic mine drift by rather than being attracted to their Plastic Vessel?captain.gif

CT

DANGER PEDANT ALERT

they don't sweep mines anymore...that's why minehunters

CT

DANGER PEDANT ALERT

they don't sweep mines anymore...that's why minehunters

MineHunters?

I would have thought that mines were an endangered species!

did not read your post properly,DOH!

ninja.gif

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

• 4 years later...

Bumping an old thread, but it comes up when searching for a Fibreline Narrowboat and hopefully it will stop someone getting ripped off.

I went to Sawley Marina this week to view the 35' Fibreline they have for sale. The long distance photos on their website were for good reason. The superstructure has obviously broke all the way across and had a very shoddy repair, most likely when being lifted out they put the straps too far apart. Also having port holes in the middle both sides was not the best idea to keep the strength. I viewed the boat alone and went back to the sales office to air my thoughts as they should of noted it on the website so people not to waste time and money viewing. The salesman was insisting that this is how they was built and they came like this. See photo, the repair is in the middle of the boat and goes from one side to the other. Yes, they tried hiding it with mats and a solar panel.

They want £10k and it need gutting inside, nothing works and it smells like someone has died inside. Heavily smoked in. Avoid this Marina if you are buying a boat, you will get ripped off.31140536_FiberlineSawleyMarina.jpg.04e66cfaaea41468dee48140278c0a8a.jpg