Fibreglass narrowboat... ?

Lily

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I had such a helpful response on my last question and I am in need of your help again please...

We have found a boat which we are pretty keen on, it's moored in Bristol marina and it is lovely inside, everything seems to be in order, but it is made of fibreglass.

I'm just concerned that this might be a problem when it comes to resale.

This is the only thing which is concerning me - I understand that osmosis is a problem, but it has been recently 'antifouled' and we will obviously get a survey before we buy.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Or other factors which may concern resale?

I just want to know before we dive in and get finance sorted for it, there is no point if we come to sell in a year's time and can't because people may be put off by the construction of it.

Hi all,

I had such a helpful response on my last question and I am in need of your help again please...

We have found a boat which we are pretty keen on, it's moored in Bristol marina and it is lovely inside, everything seems to be in order, but it is made of fibreglass.

This is the only thing which is concerning me - I understand that osmosis is a problem, but it has been recently 'antifouled' and we will obviously get a survey before we buy.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Or other factors which may concern resale?

I just want to know before we dive in and get finance sorted for it, there is no point if we come to sell in a year's time and can't because people may be put off by the construction of it.

I have very limited experience of fibre glass boats, apart from a sail boat I used to have. My feeling is that a fibre glass narrow boat will not be as saleable as a commonly sort after steel version.

Have a quick look at canal brokers web sites I think you will find very few fibre glass narrow boats as opposed to cruisers. I suspect you will find it much harder to sell bless it comes with a mooring in Bristol. Anti fouling is fine at sea but is not used on the canals.

I have very limited experience of fibre glass boats, apart from a sail boat I used to have. My feeling is that a fibre glass narrow boat will not be as saleable as a commonly sort after steel version.

OTOH, they may be cheaper to buy in the first place.

I assume the OP is looking at a Dawncraft or similar - it would be helpful to have a fuller description.

Are you sure it is a narrow boat & not a narrow beam cruiser or a narrow boat with a fibreglass superstructure?

There's nothing wrong with fibreglass, be it a cruiser or narrow boat superstructure, but if you have real concerns about resale, then maybe it's not for you. Having said that, if you are getting it relatively cheaply, then you might not lose much on resale anyway & if you improve the boat, you might actually gain.

You do have a point that your market on resale could be restricted if people are looking for a narrow boat (if that is what it actually is) as they are more likely to be put off by the fact it's fibreglass. If it's a cruiser, it won't make any difference anyway.

I'd say if it's what you want, why not?

Edited by Spuds

Have a quick look at canal brokers web sites I think you will find very few fibre glass narrow boats as opposed to cruisers. I suspect you will find it much harder to sell bless it comes with a mooring in Bristol. Anti fouling is fine at sea but is not used on the canals.

Wrong. Antifoul is used inland and on canals.

We know a lady who owns and lives on a fibreglass narrowboat. She loves it. It was cheap to buy and is proving to be cheap to run and maintain.

When you come to sell it price it right (if you bought it cheap sell it cheap) and there won't be a problem.

Osmosis can be a concern on older grp boats but shouldn't be a major concern. It can be locally treated.

We own a grp cruiser and don't worry about osmosis although ours is only a ten year old hull.

I recall a company in the early 1990's called "FIBRELINE".They made about a dozen "Fibreline 45's" which were quite solidly built, had small engines, and were obviously fairly cheap to maintain. There is one of their products at Watch House Cruising Club on the Bridgewater.They also made at least one boat of about 50'which I saw at Blisworth Boats (?) in 2001.

I recall a company in the early 1990's called "FIBRELINE".They made about a dozen "Fibreline 45's" which were quite solidly built, had small engines, and were obviously fairly cheap to maintain. There is one of their products at Watch House Cruising Club on the Bridgewater.They also made at least one boat of about 50'which I saw at Blisworth Boats (?) in 2001.

Think I wrongly assumed it was a narrowboat. Don't automatically think of boats like the Dawncraft or Vikings, etc.

The last one I saw was moored on the Leicester line, I will look to see if I have a picture.

Wouldn't win a beauty contest, but probably a low-maintenance craft. But it looks a bit hogged towards the stern.

I remember Fibreline advertising in the boatimags. I imagine that, like so many others, they tried to introduce a new concept butmet a tidal; wave of indifference. I think an earlier poster reckone they sold about ten of these, a good result for such a novel idea.

• Greenie 1

Sorry I should have either described it better or linked the ad. Hastily posting this morning at work!

Anywho, it looks like this: http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=268656ℑ=1

It's really lovely inside.

By the sounds of things there isn't much wrong with fibreglass? Not sure what my prejudice is!

I will look forward to seeing that, I've never come across a fibreglass narrow boat or ever seen one before.

These are common;

6370559-708m.jpg

Hi all,

The only thing I would say is that it should be very cheap.

The most I have known a 40 foot dawncraft or similar go for is £10,000 and that was way overpriced.

Great minds......the boat which Lily is looking at is a 1969 build and is advertised at £30,000. Now, this may include the central Bristol mooring and thus attract a premium price. If not, halve the price and you'll be closer to the market value.

Sorry I should have either described it better or linked the ad. Hastily posting this morning at work!

Anywho, it looks like this: http://narrowboats.a...=268656ℑ=1

By the sounds of things there isn't much wrong with fibreglass? Not sure what my prejudice is!

If the glass is thin - as it can be on smaller boats like dinghies - then it breaks easily in the rough and tumble of canal use. Having said that, early boats such as Freeman cruiser were very sloidly constructed because builders didn't know the strength of the material, so made sure their hulls were thick. That's why there are so many "freemen" still in use. I fancy Dawncraft were likewise solid. Thus the answer is it can be excellent, but it very much depends on the quality of the construction, lots of stringers and supports in a long straight sided boat. Get somebody who knows the material and design considerations to advise.

The boat in the picture has what looks like a very long rear deck, which wastes a lot of space; particularly if you want to liveaboard. £30K might be a bit overpriced?

Anywho, it looks like this: http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=268656ℑ=1

Well, it is a narrow boat. Are we talking only of topside construction? Is the hull also fibre glass?

Edited by Higgs

Great minds......the boat which Lily is looking at is a 1969 build and is advertised at £30,000. Now, this may include the central Bristol mooring and thus attract a premium price. If not, halve the price and you'll be closer to the market value.

I bet there is a fair premium for the mooring spot. The advert reads as much about the mooring as the boat

I have also heard (as I've been looking into it for someone) that the moorings in Bristol are only transferrable on a dodgy deal, ie only if the harbour master doesn't realise it's a new owner. Berths are allocated to people not boats.

I also see it's in the marina where berths are available anyway.

Walk away Lily.

it's worth a 10th of that price.

We looked at a narrowboat that had a steel hull and fibreglass top a few years ago- it was 45foot and from mid 1980s i think- priced at £17K. We spoke to a local boat maker and his advice was- Have a look if you can do a deal- "you buy em cheap and sell em cheap"

The roof on the one we looked at had osmosis-really soft in some areas (nicknamed it- the floppy top one) and being newbies, we thought we didnt know enough, so walked away- we also thought it was overpriced at £17K

I dont know if the mooring is determining the price- sounds risky- but I would be looking for a late 90s, and into 2000s boat for £30k