Non Slip Roof

Picard

Featured Posts

Hi.

Thought as soon as the weather warms up, I might paint my roof. Want to have a non slip top. Seen on other topics that adding sand will do the trick, this is spreading a layer on wet paint. Can I add sand to the paint pot before painting, this will provide an even spread, or is there a down side to this? Many thanks. :help:

Hi.

Thought as soon as the weather warms up, I might paint my roof. Want to have a non slip top. Seen on other topics that adding sand will do the trick, this is spreading a layer on wet paint. Can I add sand to the paint pot before painting, this will provide an even spread, or is there a down side to this? Many thanks. :help:

I used a grain type additive, it turned out really well, just add to the paint, it's not as harsh and as grity as sand so wont scratch the roof and it spreads evenly after being mixed with he paint. We used roller and lay off with brush normal application and tthe finish was nice and even.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-5lt-Dose-Anti-Slip-Additive-Granules-Suitable-For-Any-Floor-Or-Deck-Paint-/290704305471?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item43af53ad3f

I used a grain type additive, it turned out really well, just add to the paint, it's not as harsh and as grity as sand so wont scratch the roof and it spreads evenly after being mixed with he paint. We used roller and lay off with brush normal application and tthe finish was nice and even.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-5lt-Dose-Anti-Slip-Additive-Granules-Suitable-For-Any-Floor-Or-Deck-Paint-/290704305471?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item43af53ad3f

Plus, it won't be as difficult to repair or strip back for re-painting & I think International or Blakes do a similar plastic granule additive.

Edited by Spuds

Quick question -- why do you want to walk on the roof?

if you do -- as I do on rare occasions -- why not just have appropriate footwear? I don't slip on our roof (famous last words!) and that just has ornery paint.

Of course, if there is ice on the roof, no amount of non-slip treatment is going to help!

..just asking, not being clever or insulting...

I find International garage floor paint has reasonable non-slip qualities on our roof. It is also a quick job to repair/recoat, dries quickly and I am testing same in engine hole (early signs are good.) I am not keen on sand.

Quick question -- why do you want to walk on the roof?

if you do -- as I do on rare occasions -- why not just have appropriate footwear? I don't slip on our roof (famous last words!) and that just has ornery paint.

Of course, if there is ice on the roof, no amount of non-slip treatment is going to help!

..just asking, not being clever or insulting...

In my opinion the roof is the proper way to move about a boat and should be kept clear of clutter. A sanded surface will be generally non-slip even in light icing, certainly when wet. Although a good tough red oxide or floor paint will also do the job but is not quite so confidence giving in the wet.

But the coach roof is the way to access both decks fast.

Hi, i intend to use this non slip exterior tape in strips on our roof. http://www.nonslipshop.co.uk when a repaint is required it can be more easily removed. hope this helps.

Never used it personally, but have spoken to others who are very impressed with this approach.

I use international garage floor paint. Non slip, non stain, several colours to choose from and only 25 quid for 5 litres. Does not chip, fade and has a sort of silk finish.

Pretty much my findings.

Hi.

If you're going to use sand, don't put it in the paint before you start. Use kiln dried block paving sand. I would section areas on the roof. This will make it easier to do the work an tackle any future damage. Make borders. Possibly 3" from handrails and a wider one right down the centre about 8", and then making a few sections on either side of the centre. You can create them to be whatever decorative shapes you want and not necessarilly only rectangular; use different colours, if you want.

Tape sections and lay down the colour you want (thin paint, to apply). Key the area up with 180 grit first, just a scrub over will do. Sprinkle the sand over the area. I found it useful to make a simple wooden hopper (a bit smaller than shoe box size with a 4 or 5" slit) to help apply sand. Leave sand over night and clean excess off. Mix the same colour and thin again, not watery. Use roller and apply paint until sanded area looks wet. This doesn't take much doing.

If the paint is too thick you will end up clogging the sand texture and also creating glossy patches, if glossy paint is being used. Floor paint on sand works well, too.

Gunwales can be treated the same way.

Edited by Higgs

I use international garage floor paint. Non slip, non stain, several colours to choose from and only 25 quid for 5 litres. Does not chip, fade and has a sort of silk finish.

I too used garage floor paint on the roof of my Springer, and I wish I hadn't. Despite through preparation (sanding down, washing down) and two coats of the stuff,it started to peel off in little bits, which became bigger bits, until half the piant was gone, leaving a nasty blotchy appearance. So, I removed all loose paint, sanded down and washed down again, and applied two more coats. Now, blow me down, bits have started flaking off again. I wish I'd used something different, such as Craftmaster Raddle which is what we have on the roof of Trojan.

Edited by Athy

I too used garage floor paint on the roof of my Springer, and I wish I hadn't. Despite through preparation (sanding down, washing down) and two coats of the stuff,it started to peel off in little bits, which became bigger bits, until half the piant was gone, leaving a nasty blotchy appearance. So, I removed all loose paint, sanded down and washed down again, and applied two more coats. Now, blow me down, bits have started flaking off again. I wish I'd used something different, such as Craftmaster Raddle which is what we have on the roof of Trojan.

I had the same with my roof after the painters had used floor paint. In my case the peeling started within a couple of years & was a complete bar steward to remove prior to being repainted with Leyland gloss red oxide. The Leyland's been on for 5 years now with no peeling, fading of course, but no peeling.

I had the same with my roof after the painters had used floor paint. In my case the peeling started within a couple of years & was a complete bar steward to remove prior to being repainted with Leyland gloss red oxide. The Leyland's been on for 5 years now with no peeling, fading of course, but no peeling.

I've got Leyland on my roof and it seems to be fine, apart from nicks, after 2yrs +.