The first weekend

rbateman

Featured Posts

I am totally new to boating.

I bought a widebeam a few weeks ago and a friend and I came up to Mirfield in Yorkshire this weekend to pick it up after having it re-blacked. I had hope to stay on it for a few days before getting it craned out and transported down to London. It now seems unlikely that that's going to happen anytime soon.

Firstly, the water pipes had burst in 11 places due to freezing (the shipyard not having drained the boat). With a friend, and numerous trips to B&Q, we managed to fix this up to the point where, as best as I can tell, there's no leakages anywhere.

The engine (a BMC 1500) worked fine when we turned it on for the first time, though there was no actual starter battery - just 3 batteries serving for both the starter and leisure supply. Worried about draining this very quickly, we rewired it using the battery switch that was installed (but not in use). There is now an individual starter battery (a Banner battery with 640 CCA) and two 70W leisure batteries whose combined output voltage is only 9v, despite being fully charged (according to the Absaar 20amp battery charger we're running off a generator.) Having rewired the system, it now seems like the engine just won't turn over. It turns on, the ignition light is lit, and the voltage registered is ±11, but it only cranks over once or twice before stopping. I'm unable to tell whether this is because the battery has too low a power rating (74AH) or because it's not charged enough (despite the fact the charger saying it is). Wiring it directly to the engine without being connected to the switch also fails to start the engine.

On top of this, because the leisure batteries are so terrible, now that they've been rewired properly, the lighting on the boat is incredibly dim to the point of being useless.

The shower is also blocked and no amount of plunging seems to unblock it. I'm worried that this is because the waste tank is full, though the toilet flushes.

I'm hoping that tomorrow someone at the shipyard (I've not been able to take it out because of the problems mentioned) will be able to give me a hand at least diagnosing the engine issue and, hopefully, sell me some new leisure batteries.

In short, as I sit here in the semi-dark, far away from friends and home, I guess all that I'm hoping for from you guys is any advice, a reassurance that it gets better. I would very, very much appreciate it.

Ryan

It does get better, and finding out so much about your boat will stand you in good stead in the long run.

Try starting it using all three batteries again, get them charged fully first - however, those readings look terminal for the leisure batts.

Shower should NOT drain into the pump-out tank, it should exit through a hole in the side - the shower pump is likely to be knackered as well by the frost. It also probably will not run if it isn't dead as there isn't enough power.

Edited by matty40s

Also, when we first turned the water on, a wonderful green slime poured out of the taps. This slowly cleared, but obviously I'm pretty sure that the water is be undrinkable. Would anyone be able to recommend a way to best clear the tank?

Try starting it using all three batteries again, get them charged fully first - however, those readings look terminal for the leisure batts.

Thanks, Matty. I had tried with all three batteries using the switch but with no luck. The charger says that all three are fully charged but I can't say I trust it. Would it register a battery as fully charged if it was supposed to be a 12V and was only putting out 8? (Even if that is just because it's knackered?)

Shower should NOT drain into the pump-out tank, it should exit through a hole in the side - the shower pump is likely to be knackered as well by the frost. It also probably will not run if it isn't dead as there isn't enough power.

Ah, okay. I wasn't away there was a shower pump. Would that be manually activated or automatic?

Also, when we first turned the water on, a wonderful green slime poured out of the taps. This slowly cleared, but obviously I'm pretty sure that the water is be undrinkable. Would anyone be able to recommend a way to best clear the tank?

Dont ever drink from the tank - who knows the horribles which lurk here. Stick to plastic bottles refilled from the tap. Good luck

I don't understand why you are checking battery condition with a charger - does it have a voltmeter on it? Check battery voltage with a multimeter, directly on the terminals, and you'll get a much better idea of its condition.

I don't suppose you had a survey done on the boat???

I don't understand why you are checking battery condition with a charger - does it have a voltmeter on it? Check battery voltage with a multimeter, directly on the terminals, and you'll get a much better idea of its condition.

I don't suppose you had a survey done on the boat???

Hi Paul. Yes, I've been checking intermittently with a multimeter. The leisure batteries are currently putting out a measly ±2V. I've charging them off the generator now. I'm guessing that'd take several hours to charge - would that be right? I might have to leave that till morning then.

Yes, I had a survey done. They'd mentioned that I'd probably need new batteries though didn't mention that it was wired badly. It was also done prior to the pipes bursting.

Hi Paul. Yes, I've been checking intermittently with a multimeter. The leisure batteries are currently putting out a measly ±2V. I've charging them off the generator now. I'm guessing that'd take several hours to charge - would that be right? I might have to leave that till morning then.

Yes, I had a survey done. They'd mentioned that I'd probably need new batteries though didn't mention that it was wired badly. It was also done prior to the pipes bursting.

It will take several hours to charge the batteries to get them back up if they have been allowed to go dead, any chance of a hook up overnight from the yard?

Hi

Firstly DO NOT PANIC. As with many boats on purchase the batteries will more than likely be knackered and easily replaced. You do know of course that BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand?

The shower thing is easily rectified whatever it is. Without good batteries nothing will work correctly.

Get a few beers and it will all be ok tomorrow :cheers:

Tim

Dont ever drink from the tank - who knows the horribles which lurk here. Stick to plastic bottles refilled from the tap. Good luck

What sort of tank have you got? Is it integral, stainless steel or plastic. If integral it may need a good scrub out and repainting with special paint. If it is either of the later a good clean & rinse plus some Milton should sort it. We have always drunk water from our tank but I would want it cleaned first.

Have you found your shower switch?

It will take several hours to charge the batteries to get them back up if they have been allowed to go dead, any chance of a hook up overnight from the yard?

Yep, managed to find a landline connector. No-one around to ask, but have hooked it up. The charger is now working on the leisure batteries. I'm assuming it'll be fine to just leave to charge until morning? There's no chance they could overcharge?

What sort of tank have you got? Is it integral, stainless steel or plastic. If integral it may need a good scrub out and repainting with special paint. If it is either of the later a good clean & rinse plus some Milton should sort it. We have always drunk water from our tank but I would want it cleaned first.

Have you found your shower switch?

I don't know what kind of tank it is - this wasn't noted in the survey originally.

I've found the shower switch, but unfortunately the leisure batteries are too low to check it's working.

Hi

Firstly DO NOT PANIC. As with many boats on purchase the batteries will more than likely be knackered and easily replaced. You do know of course that BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand?

The shower thing is easily rectified whatever it is. Without good batteries nothing will work correctly.

Get a few beers and it will all be ok tomorrow :cheers:

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Right now I need all the reassurance I can get. :)

I really hope so. Thankfully I have a good fire and a small supply of whiskey, so I'm going to spend an hour or two checking on the battery charging process, then tuck in with a head-torch and a book.

Thanks so much, everyone that responded. It's been a long, tiring weekend and you've made me feel a lot better..

• Greenie 1

Whilst it's more likely that your batteries will be completely shot - and will require replacing, immediately (!) IF, (and I think that's a big if!) they can be recovered, they'll need at least a full day, (18 hrs +) to receive sufficient charge to be used.

If your battery voltage (without being connected to the charger within the last two hours at least) is under 11.5v - they're completely goosed

DONT WORRY. :)

The problems you are having are small ones, although to you they seem the end of the world. You will learn a LOT in the next few weeks...which will then help you forever.

Your batteries sound like they should be thrown away and replaced.....this will probably fix your lighting issues, and your shower pump issue.

Try charging them but if they arent nice and powerful in the morning, buy a new starter motor and a new leisure battery, as a first step.

About all the water leaks...you've fixed them...well done. :)

Congrats on buying a widebeam.

Probably a good idea to empty the water tank and refill...and also fit an inline filter after the water pump to catch any sludge...you get some that are transparent and you can see how blocked it might be getting...

You'll be ok in a few days or weeks for sure.

• Greenie 1

Yep, managed to find a landline connector. No-one around to ask, but have hooked it up. The charger is now working on the leisure batteries. I'm assuming it'll be fine to just leave to charge until morning? There's no chance they could overcharge?

If the charger is now working , check for water in the batteries , if you can there will be screw caps , six on each battery , if there arnt any they will be sealed type , you dont want to charge abattery with no water in it :)

No leave them on charge, to be honest as others have said it sounds like they are dead Jim, investing in new ones will give you peace of mind.

In simple terms, when fully charged, your batteries should read 12.8V, (maybe 12.7). When 50% charged, they should read 12.2V, and when empty, they would read 11.8V.

The above apply when the batteries have rested for a few hours,mand are drawing no load, so it isn't an exact science.

When charging, your charger should be charging the batteries such that they read something around 14.4V or more, (maybe up to 15V or so max).

It's a big subject, but what I am trying to say is that your readings of 11V, and 2V, suggest that your batteries are flatter than flat. This isn't always the end of them , but it often is.

When you buy new batteries, you must do all that you can to avoid them falling below 50% full, (I.e. 12.2Vat rest), and you must do what you can to charge them up to as close to 100% as you can, on a regular basis.

Your batteries will only draw the "charge" that they want or need, so they can't really overcharge. If charged for too long at too high a voltage, the unwanted power will be dissipated as heat somewhere in the system.

Hope that helps a bit! It won't get you going, but may help your understanding.

When buying new batteries, if you don't understand the detail of how they work, it's generally best to buy the cheapest open lead acid batteries you can find. If you knacker them in use, your loss is less. When you know more about how they work, you can consider more expensive batteries - I still buy the cheapest I can find :)

Good luck - it will definitely be fun!!

In simple terms, when fully charged, your batteries should read 12.8V, (maybe 12.7). When 50% charged, they should read 12.2V, and when empty, they would read 11.8V.

The above apply when the batteries have rested for a few hours,mand are drawing no load, so it isn't an exact science.

When charging, your charger should be charging the batteries such that they read something around 14.4V or more, (maybe up to 15V or so max).

It's a big subject, but what I am trying to say is that your readings of 11V, and 2V, suggest that your batteries are flatter than flat. This isn't always the end of them , but it often is.

When you buy new batteries, you must do all that you can to avoid them falling below 50% full, (I.e. 12.2Vat rest), and you must do what you can to charge them up to as close to 100% as you can, on a regular basis.

Your batteries will only draw the "charge" that they want or need, so they can't really overcharge. If charged for too long at too high a voltage, the unwanted power will be dissipated as heat somewhere in the system.

Hope that helps a bit! It won't get you going, but may help your understanding.

When buying new batteries, if you don't understand the detail of how they work, it's generally best to buy the cheapest open lead acid batteries you can find. If you knacker them in use, your loss is less. When you know more about how they work, you can consider more expensive batteries - I still buy the cheapest I can find :)

Good luck - it will definitely be fun!!

Thanks, Richard. I'd planned on replacing them after reading the survey but hadn't thought they'd be so shot as to not be able to get me a mile down the canal. A shame.

I'll be buying on the recommendation of a friend, I think - I've furiously reading a Nigel Calder book on boating electrics but, as it's pretty clear, it's a lot to take in.

Thanks again, all. You've really made me feel better.

Batteries are the heart of a modern boat so the impact of knackered ones can be quite significant - same as a house in a power cut. But all is fixable and there's all sorts of advice to be had here.

It may help to stoke up the fire, top up that whiskey, wrap up warm and stick your head out of the hatch. Look at the light reflecting on the water, listen to the lapping, breathe the air and feel the cosiness inside. For me that's one of the best moments in the boating day.

Edited by twbm
  • Greenie 1

Batteries are the heart of a modern boat so the impact of knackered ones can be quite significant - same as a house in a power cut. But all is fixable and there's all sorts of advice to be had here.

It may help to stoke up the fire, top up that whiskey, wrap up warm and stick your head out of the hatch. Look at the light reflecting on the water, listen to the lapping, breathe the air and feel the cosiness inside. For me that's one of the best moments in the boating day.

Careful now don't get him too excited he's taking the boat down to the big smoke.

Just for the avoidance of doubt....

It would be wise to check the levels of the cells in your battery bank. DO NOT do this while they are on charge or under any load. Isolate them first, and if they have been on charge then give them a while to settle down. I normally allow at least 10 minutes, others may think differently.

Ideally they should be topped up with deionised water, almost to the top (leave maybe 1/4" gap).

What sort of charger are you using? Car battery chargers are notoriously poor at coping with boat leisure batteries - not sure if that applies here, but mentioning it just in case.

P.S. Enjoy the scotch - I normally find it helps. A must-have for any boat toolkit or first aid kit tongue.gif

Edited by sociable_hermit