Parrots on boats

Homer 123

Featured Posts

I'm about to move onto a live aboard narrow boat with 2 dogs and an African Grey parrot. I've seen. Ots of dogs on boats and heard tales of people with parrots but does anyone actually have a parrot on a boat? Any advice on living with a parrot on board would be gratefully received!

I'm about to move onto a live aboard narrow boat with 2 dogs and an African Grey parrot. I've seen. Ots of dogs on boats and heard tales of people with parrots but does anyone actually have a parrot on a boat? Any advice on living with a parrot on board would be gratefully received!

You'll find it necessary to wear one wooden leg at all times, and to fly the Jolly Roger whenever under way.

Oh. And you'd best avoid swearing within earshot of said bird! :cheers:

I know a bloke who's had a parrot on a narrow boat for the last 7 years.

I can try to put him in touch with you if you want.

Send me pm with your phone number or email address and I'll pass it onto him.

Mike

Edited by blackrose

Have seen parrots in cages on boat a few times so it's certainly do-able. Cannot advise though as how it's done though.

You'll find it necessary to wear one wooden leg at all times, and to fly the Jolly Roger whenever under way.

Oh. And you'd best avoid swearing within earshot of said bird! :cheers:

Lol its too late to avoid the swearing! He already knows a fair bit!!

Should be Ok Should be Ok Should be Ok Should be Ok Should be Ok Should be Ok

Have you taught him the say "Help help, they turned me into a parrot"?

MtB

Our family parrot is a Senegal, not very good talkers. It is very good at ring tones, Mrs TNC's cough and it's own name. The only boaty thing I taught it was "SLOW DOWN!", if the weather was OK, we put it's cage on the table in the front deck. It does not get on with Mrs TNC (Warning, parrots seem to get attached to only one person), so my son now has it and only goes boating with him.

As for "Help, Help", we know a boater with an Amazon that shouts, in a child like voice "Help, help, let me out!"...this has led to some embarrassing moments for the police and other boaters, when the owner came back.

A long time ago I met some people on the Broads who live on a converted navel pinnace. They had an African Grey parrot which lived in its cage in the wheelhouse. Whenever they moved the boat he would hang upside down from his perch for the entire duration of the journey. As soon as they moored it returned to a more normal position. Other than this odd behaviour he seemed to thrive living on board.

A long time ago I met some people on the Broads who live on a converted navel pinnace. They had an African Grey parrot which lived in its cage in the wheelhouse. Whenever they moved the boat he would hang upside down from his perch for the entire duration of the journey. As soon as they moored it returned to a more normal position. Other than this odd behaviour he seemed to thrive living on board.

Funny about the upside down thing. That is what ours does if the water is all all rough....maybe it stops parrot sea sickness! :P

My neighbour has a bloody great big parrot on his boat, Proper red, yellow and blue thing like what the pirates had. From what I can tell it's sum offering is to mimic the sound

of a phone ringing, and ringing, and ringing.

Edited by Wanted

We have a small parrot (black headed caque),when hes out on the front deck while moored passing boaters ask what type of bird he is,its difficult not to sound like cake so small parrot is default answer afer the strange looks i used to get

iv got a gray dont put it in the window, and keep out of drafts ,and all will be well good look.

How do they get flying exercise on a boat? The only parrot I knew would fly around the room it lived in

Mine comes o,it but rarely flies. He prefers to climb the cage and walk along the floor. Occasionally he will fly back to the cage. Some have their wings clipped although so far I haven't but not flying wouldn't be a problem then.

Mine comes o,it but rarely flies. He prefers to climb the cage and walk along the floor. Occasionally he will fly back to the cage. Some have their wings clipped although so far I haven't but not flying wouldn't be a problem then.

I've got a nice place away from the window and door for him. Do you happen to know whether the cages dismantle? It's a Montana cache and too large to go through the door!

iv got a gray dont put it in the window, and keep out of drafts ,and all will be well good look.

Sorry question about the cage was meant for you Ziggy!