Shifty?

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Seems the IWA should stand for " I Want Authority"

07 Jan 2013

INLAND WATERWAYS: The All Party Parliamentary Group for Waterways (APPG) is to conduct an inquiry into the Canal & River Trust (CRT) waterways partnerships, writes Harry Arnold.

With the 13 partnerships now well established, the joint chairman of the APPG for waterways, Sir Tony Baldry MP and Huw Irranca Davies MP - both former Waterways Ministers - wish to evaluate their progress in England and Wales and to understand their future plans

The APPG says that Waterways Partnerships are a very welcome feature of the new era. They have the opportunity to galvanise local support at a practical level, such as raising public awareness of the waterways and increasing volunteering.

There is also the important prospect that at a regional strategic level, by working with key partners such as local authorities (LAS) and local enterprise partnerships (LEPS), they can help shape and deliver regeneration projects.

The APPG proposes to hold a series of evidence sessions which would be concluded by a report of the inquiry’s’ findings, together with recommendations for government and other relevant bodies.

The terms of reference for the inquiry will be “To assess the progress of CRT Waterways Partnerships in England and Wales and understand their future plans. To understand the aims and progress of CRT Waterways Partnerships to date. How they are developing relationships with LAs, LEPs and engaging the community. To understand the future aims of Waterways Partnerships.”

Led by the joint chairmen, Sir Tony Baldry MP and Huw Irranca Davies MP, the inquiry will last for three months, starting in January, during which there will be three hearings.

Riparian MPs will be invited to attend their local partnership hearing. The APPG will also invite written evidence from interested parties, which could be hosted on the Inland Waterways Association’s (IWA) website and shared with MPs.

Seems the IWA should stand for " I Want Authority"

07 Jan 2013

INLAND WATERWAYS: The All Party Parliamentary Group for Waterways (APPG) is to conduct an inquiry into the Canal & River Trust (CRT) waterways partnerships, writes Harry Arnold.

With the 13 partnerships now well established, the joint chairman of the APPG for waterways, Sir Tony Baldry MP and Huw Irranca Davies MP - both former Waterways Ministers - wish to evaluate their progress in England and Wales and to understand their future plans

The APPG says that Waterways Partnerships are a very welcome feature of the new era. They have the opportunity to galvanise local support at a practical level, such as raising public awareness of the waterways and increasing volunteering.

There is also the important prospect that at a regional strategic level, by working with key partners such as local authorities (LAS) and local enterprise partnerships (LEPS), they can help shap and deliver regeneration projects.

The APPG proposes to hold a series of evidence sessions which would be concluded by a report of the inquiry’s’ findings, together with recommendations for government and other relevant bodies.

The terms of reference for the inquiry will be “To assess the progress of CRT Waterways Partnerships in England and Wales and understand their future plans. To understand the aims and progress of CRT Waterways Partnerships to date. How they are developing relationships with LAs, LEPs and engaging the community. To understand the future aims of Waterways Partnerships.”

Led by the joint chairmen, Sir Tony Baldry MP and Huw Irranca Davies MP, the inquiry will last for three months, starting in January, during which there will be three hearings.

Riparian MPs will be invited to attend their local partnership hearing. The APPG will also invite written evidence from interested parties, which could be hosted on the Inland Waterways Association’s (IWA) website and shared with MPs.

How so?

This is an APPG process that the IWA may/will be involved in to look at how CRT is working and what it intends to do in future.

Any organisation though will wish to have influence and a stake in outcomes via various means how else is an organisation to make sure its aims and point of view is heard and acted upon? It is not all about protest and being against something.

How so?

This is an APPG process that the IWA may/will be involved in to look at how CRT is working and what it intends to do in future.

Any organisation though will wish to have influence and a stake in outcomes via various means how else is an organisation to make sure its aims and point of view is heard and acted upon? It is not all about protest and being against something.

"Riparian MPs will be invited to attend their local partnership hearing. The APPG will also invite written evidence from interested parties, which could be hosted on the Inland Waterways Association’s (IWA) website and shared with MPs. "

The IWA does not represent me, so why is the IWA website being used rather than CRT's? Why are the IWA having so much input to a government enquiry?

It was always thus, and will always be. Untill the downtrodden masses throw off their shackles, gather their pitchforks, and march on the seat of power.

Or get on with their boating, ignoring the bloated and self important 'commodores' of the inland waterway.

"Riparian MPs will be invited to attend their local partnership hearing. The APPG will also invite written evidence from interested parties, which could be hosted on the Inland Waterways Association’s (IWA) website and shared with MPs. "

The IWA does not represent me, so why is the IWA website being used rather than CRT's? Why are the IWA having so much input to a government enquiry?

I just don't see what you are seeing I guess I am not that paranoid. I imagine the APPG wish to show independence from the CRT so do not wish to use their facilities. Sharing some space on the IWA website is not a big deal. IWA will be among the organisations spoken to there will be many others covering a wide subject matter and view point.

It is not all about who represents you specifically.

• Greenie 2

IWA has strong ties with this group of MP's and provides secretarial services to them.

This hearing which will probably take the form of three oral evidence sessions was arranged following a meeting in December between IWA's Jo Gilbertson and two ex waterways ministers who co-chair the group.

The first session was on 29th January and Evans/Hales gave the partnerships a glowing report.

Charlotte Atkins MP, Chair of the Central Shires Partnership also gave the trust a glowing report.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

So if I write to the APPG suggesting they invite evidence from the conveners of the recent unaffiliated boaters meetings is anyone going to complain?

I don't see why you can't write to them and suggest that.

Edited by churchward

"Riparian MPs will be invited to attend their local partnership hearing. The APPG will also invite written evidence from interested parties, which could be hosted on the Inland Waterways Association's (IWA) website and shared with MPs. "

Seemples - It's because the IWA makes the most public noise and have the highest profile. Some mof the other so called organisations are effectively a sham because they don't publish their meetings or are not widely active.

It's no good complaining that "the IWA doesn't represent me" - make it so! Ultimately the silent majority will get shafted, then they start whingeing.

(BTW I have no truck with the IWA - so this is not a plug)

07 Jan 2013

INLAND WATERWAYS: The All Party Parliamentary Group for Waterways

(APPG) is to conduct an inquiry into the Canal & River Trust (CRT) waterways

partnerships, writes Harry Arnold.

Most welcome especially following that disgraceful letter written to Wiltshire County Council regarding their producttion of film documentories about boaters in their area. Hopefully they will be made aware of the letter from Sally a C&RT Their comments on it would be interesting.

So if I write to the APPG suggesting they invite evidence from the conveners of the recent unaffiliated boaters meetings is anyone going to complain?

No!Why should they.The IWA does not represent me nor the vast majority of boaters nor do I want them to.These APPG meetings may well have the affect of focusing the minds of the CRT hierarchy.

No!Why should they.The IWA does not represent me nor the vast majority of boaters nor do I want them to.These APPG meetings may well have the affect of focusing the minds of the CRT hierarchy.

Well the way C&RT have behaved with regard to Wiltshire councils film has me personally thinking there's no way I'll trust C&RT with the waterways of moreover the way they seem to want to treat certain people utilising said waterway. Therefor I welcome any enquiry into their actions and intentions.

INLAND WATERWAYS: The All Party Parliamentary Group for Waterways

(APPG) is to conduct an inquiry into the Canal & River Trust (CRT)

Any large organisation needs keeping an eye on. Lets hope this one will be thorough.

no one represents the vast majority of boaters. The IWA however does have a significant and one of if not the largest minority of boaters as members.

The APPG will not only be talking to the IWA but any number of other organisations particularly those represented on the CRT body for a start I imagine. Don't forget the APPG is looking at CRT performance as a whole not just a boating point of view.