external phone arial

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi

I had been looking at posts Gibby? / chris pink re mobile phone signal booster but cannot find it again.

its in relation to the arial link below

http://www.fommy.co.uk/view-full-page.php?divid=T-Mobile&model=T-Mobile+Samsung+Galaxy+Ace+S5830&cat=Miscellaneous&skuno=7495

we have a mobile phone, outside boat brillient signal, wheelhouse brilient signal, but when inside the boat the signal is eratic comes and gos, I realise its being inside a metal tube.somtimes missing calls etc

I want is to buy a external arial repeater or what ever to help/boost with signal within the boat

If the above arial works then I will buy today or if there are better atenas I be interest to know

Col

Which network are you on Col? Same issue with us (just a few boats along from you) on O2 but with 3 it's great everywhere on the boat. While we're still on contract with O2 we have a "boat phone" that people can call us on, just a PAYG one on 3. :)

Hi there m8ty !!

yes were on 02, my payg 02 blackberry no problems, wifes now got one on contract (bold 02),but signal is worse than my payg. so thought that the above arial would be the answer?

Just to clarify we have a good signal outside boat and inside wheel house, but in the kitchen saloon bedroom when we spend most of the time, signal is hit and miss next to a window is a lot better.

that arial sounds just the job though dont you think?

just be nice if somone that has a sim arial can confirm if they work

just got a vodaphone sim from marina shop stuck it in and it was a full bar signal!!,

but wifes now on 24 month contract with 02

we have our internet on 3 use a 3 router that works well

Im defo not a techki just would be nice to know what will work!

anyone can advise?? please

col

Edited by bigcol

I know this is not arial related and you have already probably done this but do you get a better signal if you hold offending phone up near a window?

The concept is flawed ! The path loss between the external and internal bits is huge and the path loss between the internal bit and your phone is also huge - Huge squared is mighty huge and any effects will almost certainly be undetectable...

Best thing is to prop up phone on the window ledge and use it close to window or outside...

Nick

Narrowboats are basically a box girder with windows which makes a lovely near complete Faraday Cage like a car only worse and will obviously reduce cellular and other signals, In the past I have had success with customers steel seagoing boats by installing the old fashioned car kits with a cradle and matching antenna. You may have to find a kit and an old suitable 'phone on EBay and pop your SIM in but it certainly works well. You can buy a Shakespeare antenna which are proven to improve range at sea but these are mostly suited to US cellular nets and I have never researched ones suited to UK networks but they may be available now.

Edited by NMEA

Where we are moored, 3 and Vodafone normally give 2 bars out of a possible 5 for signal strength when the phone is near the window. Inside the boat the signal, not unsurprisingly, disappears completely.

I have been looking at ways to improve the phone signal (I-phone on Vodafone and 3 on a Nokia) and opted for a 'boaters phone' Midi Mag mount which sits on the roof and the cable connected to the phone by a sticky pad over the internal aerial. Having tried it now for several days I am afraid to say that it seems to have been a complete waste of money. It has made no noticeable difference! Even in the window I still only get 2 bars on either phone with it connected!

Has anyone on the forum used these aerials with any positive results?

Ken

I'm thinking of getting an unlocked mifi unit with external aerial. Hauwei do one. Then I'm going to get a payg sim from all of the carriers and use the one with best signal If we get one I will post here and tell all.

Steve P

I'm thinking of getting an unlocked mifi unit with external aerial. Hauwei do one. Then I'm going to get a payg sim from all of the carriers and use the one with best signal If we get one I will post here and tell all.

Steve P

I believe a phone sim won't work with a mifi.

Fudd reading your 1st post, i was thinking yes this will be a good idea

read Innisfree the same word you used came in to my head! :rolleyes:

so has anyone use a external arial?

you would have thought with all this bluetooth and wireless tech there be somthing out there

will the arial link that i first posted work??

its not that there isnt good signal arround outside the boat, but transfering that strong signal inside our boats, were are only talking about perhaps 6mm of steel!!

col

Edited by bigcol

Steve P

I got a Huawei mobile wifi unit and it seems to work very well. You need to make sure you get the right model with the aerial port (ie the 5332). These seem to be locked on the Orange network but are easy to get unlocked via Ebay.

I use a “3” sim card and have found them quite good for coverage. I just buy a top up and convert it to a £10.00 for 1Gig of data which lasts a month or until you use it up.

Regards aerial I have just ordered one from http://www.connextech.co.uk/ they appear to be very helpful.

Ian

Yes, I have had very good results using an old, outdated Nokia, the 6310i which comes with an antenna socket, and an antenna plugged into it. I still use it on the odd occasion where nothing else works.

I also use an antenna plugged into a 3g dongle for net access. Again with good results. But, in my experience you do need to plug the antenna in, the inductive (I think that is what they are called) connections don't work very well.

There are tales on the net about the Samsung phones having antenna sockets. There is a socket but there are differences of opinion as to its efficacy.

I got a Huawei mobile wifi unit and it seems to work very well. You need to make sure you get the right model with the aerial port (ie the 5332). These seem to be locked on the Orange network but are easy to get unlocked via Ebay.

I use a “3” sim card and have found them quite good for coverage. I just buy a top up and convert it to a £10.00 for 1Gig of data which lasts a month or until you use it up.

Regards aerial I have just ordered one from http://www.connextech.co.uk/ they appear to be very helpful.

Ian

I bought a 5332 sim free from O2 they had them on 50% off offer just around Xmas time, use it when my 3 Wifi is poorly.

Phil

Yes, I have had very good results using an old, outdated Nokia, the 6310i which comes with an antenna socket, and an antenna plugged into it. I still use it on the odd occasion where nothing else works.

Same here running on Vodafone, even works in Braunston. The only place its been unusable is Lower Hayford on the South Oxford.

Basically i think you will find 02 are rubbish, our two phones with 02 non stop problems with messages and calls not getting through, new phone for Lisa on Orange bang full signal everywhere, wifi speed is amazing.

Its weird as ive noticed in the past no signal in sainsburys and some coffee shops with 02 but can get signal in all these same places on Orange!

02 used to be good but have got really poor last year or so.

Lynall

Getting a good signal is like trying to win the lottery.

It does not matter which company you are with.

The 'bar' signal meters are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

As to the usefulness of an external aerial, it may or may not work.

Exasperated of Tunbridge Wells. :banghead:

edit:

I nearly forgot it will also depend on the weather, the time of day and how many other people are using their phones or 'dongles'

Edited by bottle

Getting a good signal is like trying to win the lottery.

It does not matter which company you are with.

The 'bar' signal meters are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

As to the usefulness of an external aerial, it may or may not work.

Exasperated of Tunbridge Wells. :banghead:

edit:

I nearly forgot it will also depend on the weather, the time of day and how many other people are using their phones or 'dongles'

A chocolate teapot is fine if you just use it for cold drinks.

Yes, I have had very good results using an old, outdated Nokia, the 6310i which comes with an antenna socket, and an antenna plugged into it. I still use it on the odd occasion where nothing else works.I also use an antenna plugged into a 3g dongle for net access. Again with good results. But, in my experience you do need to plug the antenna in, the inductive (I think that is what they are called) connections don't work very well.There are tales on the net about the Samsung phones having antenna sockets. There is a socket but there are differences of opinion as to its efficacy.

HI I read last forum on this aerial and purchased one. THEY ARE USELESS they do not work at all sorry

Thanks. I will try and find a phone that has an external aerial socket. Maybe that will work better. Certainly with the induction pad version I don't see any improvement!

Ken

Where we are moored, 3 and Vodafone normally give 2 bars out of a possible 5 for signal strength when the phone is near the window. Inside the boat the signal, not unsurprisingly, disappears completely.

I have been looking at ways to improve the phone signal (I-phone on Vodafone and 3 on a Nokia) and opted for a 'boaters phone' Midi Mag mount which sits on the roof and the cable connected to the phone by a sticky pad over the internal aerial. Having tried it now for several days I am afraid to say that it seems to have been a complete waste of money. It has made no noticeable difference! Even in the window I still only get 2 bars on either phone with it connected!

Ken

I'm afraid our experience with them is very poor. We were asked to fit to one boat, and to be fair, it was useless! We spent much time trying to get it working but to no avail, and the customer service from the company was very poor also....very unimpressed...to my mind you may aswell just stand by the window for all the good they do!

It was a good while back though, things may have improved since.........?

I'm afraid our experience with them is very poor. We were asked to fit to one boat, and to be fair, it was useless! We spent much time trying to get it working but to no avail, and the customer service from the company was very poor also....very unimpressed...to my mind you may aswell just stand by the window for all the good they do!

It was a good while back though, things may have improved since.........?

Hmmm.....clearly things haven't! :(

Ken