Questions for previous owner...

Salopgal

Featured Posts

Hi all

Well, I am truly fortunate to be able to have my boat's previous owner come over for a day at the end of February, to show me what everything does onboard. I'm also lucky enough to have my cousin Rob to join us on the day (hopefully) for an extra set of eyes/ears.

I think that me being an utter novice, there may well be crucial things I should ask/learn on the day and I'm already writing a long list of things that come immediately to mind. The previous owner is very well versed in looking after and maintaining the boat to a very high standard, but I don't want to miss any opportunity on the day as I think he'd prefer to just leave it at that.

All and any advice, however obvious it might seem to you is very welcome indeed. I am a total beginner but keen to learn all I can and do as much maintenance as I can too.

Thanks so much! I am ever grateful...

:help:

Hi, here's a quick list:

* where to switch on/off water

* where to switch on/off gas

* where to switch on/off elec (including inverter, shore supply)

* where is the switch panel (12V stuff)

* where are battery isolators

* where to inspect the bilges (in the cabin, as against the engine bay)

* are there a bilge pumps - manual or electric

* where is mooring gear kept

* where is bottle opener

Others swill be along in a minute ...

Good luck!

Edited by keble

Hi, here's a quick list:

* where to switch on/off water

* where to switch on/off gas

* where to switch on/off elec (including inverter, shore supply)

* where is the switch panel (12V stuff)

* where are battery isolators

* where to inspect the bilges (in the cabin, as against the engine bay)

* are there a bilge pumps - manual or electric

* where is mooring gear kept

* where is bottle opener

Others swill be along in a minute ...

Good luck!

How do you drain down the water system (to stop freezing damage in winter)?

Where to fill with water, diesel, etc (and pump out if appropriate)

Where are the keys (or whatever) to the filler caps?

Has he hidden a spare key somewhere?

What about windlasses, handcuff keys, etc?

Engine daily checks - oil, fanbelt, etc

How to open the weedhatch

What do any gauges and buzzers mean?

And a thousand and one other things ...

For all the major components on the boat, how long is it since they were repaired, serviced, replaced, or gave trouble.

What was the last few things he/she tinkered with ? (as tinkering can cause problems later)

How long since the paintwork & blacking was done?

What outside services has he used and found good? bad? e.g. engine maintenance, electrical maintenance.

Thank you so much, these are all excellent suggestions and there is quite a lot here already that I hadn't got on my list! Brilliant you are!

I know this gentleman has kept meticulous records, handbooks, certificates and receipts etc. so we will go through the big bag of those no doubt too.

My cousin suggested I use my camera to take short video clips of some instructions, which seems like a good idea on the face of it...

I'm so chuffed that you folk are so willing and able to help me with this advice. It's daunting, but exciting to take this life on and I want to meet it all head on, with as practical a head on as I can develop... Thank you!

:cheers: K

Where is the shower tray pump, and what's the best way of getting to it?

Where is the water pump, and what's the best way of getting to it?

How often does the stern gland greaser need winding down / re-filling when cruising?

What's the normal engine running temperature (assuming it has a gauge)?

What oils do the engine and gearbox take?

How old are the batteries?

What's the right setting for the stove, so the fire stays in all night but doesn't cook everyone? Oh and which coal does it like?

Does the boat have any interesting "character traits"?

Best to ask this question last, after you have got a few pints in him! :P

I think thats a good reply,you must of bought a 'right one' for him to be happy to do this, i would think any engine/ heating foibles would be of interest, and if he has kept his boat up to scratch,do what he has done before regarding checks /maintenance,as said beers always talk..

Was the boat built to the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) ie post 1998? If it was, does it have its Craft Id No. marked indelibly on the stern?

It should also have this No. in a special hidden place which the prev owner may know about (if not, the boat builder should do).

Do you have the official RCD compliant Owners Manual? Is there an RCD Declaration of Conformity certificate?

Do you know who the boat builder was or was it a DIY fit out, in which case perhaps the previous owner was the official "boat builder"?

If the boat was built pre 1998 or was kept by the previous owner from date of first use for more than 5 years to avoid needing to be RCD compliant, you can forget all my questions!!

Richard

Was the boat built to the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) ie post 1998? If it was, does it have its Craft Id No. marked indelibly on the stern?

It should also have this No. in a special hidden place which the prev owner may know about (if not, the boat builder should do).

Do you have the official RCD compliant Owners Manual? Is there an RCD Declaration of Conformity certificate?

Do you know who the boat builder was or was it a DIY fit out, in which case perhaps the previous owner was the official "boat builder"?

If the boat was built pre 1998 or was kept by the previous owner from date of first use for more than 5 years to avoid needing to be RCD compliant, you can forget all my questions!!

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks so much. The boat is 52ft Trad built by Stowe Hill Marine in 1992 - fully port holed. But really grateful for you going to the trouble of asking as it's an important point. Thank you!

K

Where is the shower tray pump, and what's the best way of getting to it?

Where is the water pump, and what's the best way of getting to it?

How often does the stern gland greaser need winding down / re-filling when cruising?

What's the normal engine running temperature (assuming it has a gauge)?

What oils do the engine and gearbox take?

How old are the batteries?

What's the right setting for the stove, so the fire stays in all night but doesn't cook everyone? Oh and which coal does it like?

Does the boat have any interesting "character traits"?

Absolutely brilliant - thank you so much and keep them coming everyone. I am now being kept awake worrying a bit about everything that could go wrong, but that's true for most of life anyway. Starting out as a singleton again is scary anyway. This will be make or break for me. Hopefully make...

Really, really do so appreciate this advice because it's not all obvious to a newbie by any means. Genuine thanks! :cheers:

K

Edited by Salopgal

Hi Richard

Thanks so much. The boat is 52ft Trad built by Stowe Hill Marine in 1992 - fully port holed. But really grateful for you going to the trouble of asking as it's an important point. Thank you!

K

(snipped a bit)

Ah - OK. RCD won't be an issue then! It sounds like a very nice boat anyway. Enjoy your day learning all about how it works!

Richard

We've also befefitted from being able to meet the previous owner of the boat that we've just bought. They live in a flat next to the marina where we bought it. Like Salopgal's, ours sellers have owned it from new (1996) and we've been able to glean some useful information about the boat from them. Sorry I can't think of anything to add to what's already been mentioned here.

It may seem daunting but I'm sure that armed with these helpful lists you've been given you'll have covered everything though.