An Abandoned Canal

vobes

Featured Posts

Mal ran the trip boat?

I know him form hte session at the Mucky Duck, insteresting songs he always sings, but you do have to listen a bit.

He was granted MBE for running his trip boat for 15 years up the Welsh. He's a lovely old man, but his songs get a bit 'samey' after a few hearings!

His boat may have been called 'Myfanwy' but I'm not certain.

I was at many of those Mucky Duck sessions, but not since it moved down to the cellar bar.

Edited by Loafer

sorry to bring this back up after years! .. I'm slowly makign my way from page 80 odd something up todate! this one interested me as at 36 minutes I found this:

Butty%20and%20Hos.png

do we know where (I assume at the Wappenshaw Junction on the Shrewsbury and Netherton canal) as thats what the program is talkign about, but it could easily not be knowing the continuity of TV programs, so..

Where is this photo taken and whcih small Woolwich butty is it?

... to me it has the right markings on the deck board and the correct length cabin for what I think it is, but the steps are in the wrong place in the hold and the paint work on hte front bends are diferent to what I thought should be there.. for hte boat I think it is! if you get what I mean.

Jay.

It was Bellerophon, later Iona (as she was in the picture). Ex-BW and FMC, now on the River Wey. From Mal himself a few minutes ago.

The Betelgeuse was used in Chester as a trip boat. The Little Woolwich butty that was named Iona by Shropshire Union Cruisers was the Bellerphron which replaced the earlier Barlow's Iona. The photograph is Bellerphron in her Iona guise tied outside The Junction Inn at Norbury Junction. Her steerer that is lent against the gunwhale is Mal Edwards MBE. Iona is still working as a trip boat today on the river Wey

Thank You - really enjoyed watching that, i dont live to far away and have ofted looked at some of the bridges in the farmland near newport.

Theres a bridge that runs right alongside the 'new' M54/A5 extension as it runs down to the first Island. It used to be visible from the road but over the years it has been hidden behind the trees that were planted for noise screening. I presume this was the other end to the Newport canal but looking it up I see it wasnt and it carried on to Uffingham.