Explorer licence?

Hair Bear Bunch

Featured Posts

BW to withdraw the Explorer Licence after consultation

ByBill Perry– 14 December 2009Posted in: Notice BoardBritish Waterways plan to withdraw the 30 Day Explorer licence in the Spring 2010 following a consultation period. This very useful licence for trailboat owners who reside on waterways not owned by BW or who garage their boats on their trailers ready for a quick getaway when the sun is forecast and want to visit BW canals or rivers will be saddened by this proposal.

If you feel that you wish to comment on this then please read their proposals here. You will need the free Adobe reader if it does not open on your computer.

The WBOC has written to Sally Ash, Head of Boating, to object to this proposal and to make suggestions on how it may be saved.

BW to withdraw the Explorer Licence after consultation

ByBill Perry– 14 December 2009Posted in: Notice BoardBritish Waterways plan to withdraw the 30 Day Explorer licence in the Spring 2010 following a consultation period. This very useful licence for trailboat owners who reside on waterways not owned by BW or who garage their boats on their trailers ready for a quick getaway when the sun is forecast and want to visit BW canals or rivers will be saddened by this proposal.

If you feel that you wish to comment on this then please read their proposals here. You will need the free Adobe reader if it does not open on your computer.

The WBOC has written to Sally Ash, Head of Boating, to object to this proposal and to make suggestions on how it may be saved.

I am sure I have seen the 30 day sheet in the windows of boats last year....

As we are on a rivers only licence we originally used the explorer as a top up when we ventured onto parts of the system not covered by our licence.

We now just purchase a weeks extra licence if we venture onto other waterways not covered by our current licence. It works out cheaper anyway.

As we are on a rivers only licence we originally used the explorer as a top up when we ventured onto parts of the system not covered by our licence.

We now just purchase a weeks extra licence if we venture onto other waterways not covered by our current licence. It works out cheaper anyway.

We use a 30 day explorer licence for our Caraboat as it allows us to use the boat for ANY 30 days in the year and they do not have to be consecutive.So we can get up to 4 separate weeks holiday.Thus making it a very reasonable price.

Rivers only licence, I didn' know of such a thing, can someone elaborate, and which rivers?

Rivers only licence, I didn' know of such a thing, can someone elaborate, and which rivers?

Short term visitor licences (One day, One week, One month and Explorer licences) are not available for boats floating in marinas or moorings connected to Canal & River Trust waters, with the exception of 'Rivers Only' licence holders wishing to extend their licence to cover a short term cruise on Canals.

Thats interesting - the one I saw being used was very much marina based!

From CRT website.

Rivers Only Licence covers the following:

Avon (Hanham Lock to Bath)

Bow Back Rivers

Fossdyke & Witham (Torksey to Boston)

Lee Navigation (Hertford to Limehouse)

Limehouse Cut

Ouse and Ure (Goole to Ripon)

Severn (Stourport to Gloucester)

Soar Navigation (Trent Junction to Leicester)

Stort Navigation

Tees (Tees Barrage to Low Worsal)

Trent (Shardlow-Gainsborough, including the Nottingham & Beeston Canal)

Weaver Navigation (Winsford Bridge to Manchester Ship Canal)

I think rivers only licence also includes some canal sections that link rivers

The rivers only licence works well for us as it covers the vast majority of our local waterways. It is a cheaper licence and only really useful in certain areas where several of the rivers covered are close together.

For us it means we can use the Trent, Ouse, fossdyke and witham, parts if the soar and parts of the aire and Calder and ssyn without the need to have a full canal and river licence.

If we venture onto waterways not covered by our licence we can buy a weeks visitor licence at a discounted rate.

It works in our case but won't work for everyone.

Thats interesting - the one I saw being used was very much marina based!

A number of marinas (about 30 or so), for historical or water supply reasons, do not need a 'connection agreement' with CRT - mostly, but by no means exclusively, on river navigations. Boats can stay in those marinas without paying a licence fee. It's not uncommon for those boaters to buy an Explorer licence to cover the <30 days/year that they venture out of the marina.

A number of marinas (about 30 or so), for historical or water supply reasons, do not need a 'connection agreement' with CRT - mostly, but by no means exclusively, on river navigations. Boats can stay in those marinas without paying a licence fee. It's not uncommon for those boaters to buy an Explorer licence to cover the <30 days/year that they venture out of the marina.

However, it is exactly those marinas that the BW "no short term licences" rule was targetted at,

SHOCK! HORROR!

That's very old news. Shows folks the danger of searching the web only to find old r***

BW were going to withdraw it, because it was said that the income was too small to be bothered with - however with a bit representation and some nifty reworking of their figures by someone not too far away from where I'm sitting, Ms Ash was persuaded that perhaps half-a-mill: income (IIRC) was making a contribution to BW's funds.

CaRT has continued with it - for the time being - but who knows. It's a pain to administer - well to check up on abuse and I suspect that if the Trust feels that there is widespread abuse, then they will chop it.

As with most things in life, those that follow the rules end up paying for those that take the proverbial.

It's jolly useful for folks genuinely based on non CaRT waters who make repeated visits to the canals. A Gold licence for me is silly money, whereas if I was CaRT based it would be very good value.

Harrumph!

Interesting

So if you have a river licence do you have to have a mooing or can you CC or cruise full time on a river licence.

Yes you can cc. On the waterways your licence covers you for of course. Where we are it would be very easy to cc on our licence and stay well with on the rules.

Yes you can cc. On the waterways your licence covers you for of course. Where we are it would be very easy to cc on our licence and stay well with on the rules.

That was my thinking, I do acually prefer living on the river, alhough of course floods aren't going to make life easy. I was thinking though to licence on the river and if bad weather is predictted go up on o the canal for a 30 day period, paid for of course.

The Avon between Bath and Brisol is probably only 10 miles in total making it very easy to comply with CC rules. It's tempting as I know that part of the river really well having lived there all my childhood.

That was my thinking, I do acually prefer living on the river, alhough of course floods aren't going to make life easy. I was thinking though to licence on the river and if bad weather is predictted go up on o the canal for a 30 day period, paid for of course.

The Avon between Bath and Brisol is probably only 10 miles in total making it very easy to comply with CC rules. It's tempting as I know that part of the river really well having lived there all my childhood.

We have the benefit up here of having many miles of river at our disposal. We have the witham and fossdyke, the Trent, the Ouse, the soar, and parts of the aire and Calder to use. Which is more than enough for our inland cruising needs.

Plus the added benefit that we are a day away from the sea in either direction either by the witham to Boston or the Trent and Humber via Grimsby or hull.

We rarely need to buy a top up licence as most of the laces we can reach in a weeks holiday are covered by our rivers only licence. As I said earlier it works better in some areas than others.

We have the benefit up here of having many miles of river at our disposal. We have the witham and fossdyke, the Trent, the Ouse, the soar, and parts of the aire and Calder to use. Which is more than enough for our inland cruising needs.

Plus the added benefit that we are a day away from the sea in either direction either by the witham to Boston or the Trent and Humber via Grimsby or hull.

We rarely need to buy a top up licence as most of the laces we can reach in a weeks holiday are covered by our rivers only licence. As I said earlier it works better in some areas than others.

Your location sounds great, would suit us that's for sure. having discussed this with Lynn We'll probably go for the full licence, canals & river. The rules really arent to difficult for us to abide to as I don't need to travel to a workplace, so we can cruise regularily.