Redex in Diesel engines

tosher

Featured Posts

Hi all. Just wondering if it's a good idea to use "Redex" in a modern diesel engine. I have been told that modern fuels, especially supermarket fuels, have a high Biofuel content and this and can cause engine problems. Using the occasional dose of "Redex" can counteract this. Any of you engine experts know if there is any truth in this???

The old Redex for petrol engines was a a brilliant de-coker 'carbon dissolver'. And I expect the diesel version would do similar, so probably good for overpowered boats where the engine is never under enough load so should help keep it from carboning up.

Hi all. Just wondering if it's a good idea to use "Redex" in a modern diesel engine. I have been told that modern fuels, especially supermarket fuels, have a high Biofuel content and this and can cause engine problems. Using the occasional dose of "Redex" can counteract this. Any of you engine experts know if there is any truth in this???

As a diesel will run on almost any hydrocarbon fuel that you can get through the injectors then it will do no harm in the recommended dose. It might help lubricate the injection equipment and any unburned residue just might soften the carbon in the piston ruing grooves. However I have doubts about its cost effectiveness.

Your reason for wanting to use Redex has to be questioned. ALL road diesel (DERV), supermarket of not, is required by law to contain up to 7% of bio-diesel for "environmental" reasons. I have heard of no confirmed cases of bio in the proportions used in DERV causing any engine problems. I have heard a number of reports where poor tank maintenance by the suppliers and/or boaters have caused problems in the fuel system through "diesel bug". Bio-diesel is probably more prone to infection than mineral diesel but this has been causing a few boaters problems for years before the mandatory introduction of Bio.

If you are daft enough to try running your diesel on unprocessed vegetable oil then its viscosity will cause problems for the injection equipment but the amount of Redex you would add would make no difference. If you tried running on very high percentages of processed (Trans-esterfied) processed oil (bio-diesel) then there are some potential problems involving sump oil dilution abut the only one Redex might address is the propensity of some such fuels to soot up injectors.

A slight problem occurs because some refineries/bulk suppliers can/will only supply our red diesel (gas oil) as dyed DERV whilst others supply gas oil without any bio content so it is best if you always try to but bio-free fuel and also only bye from locations that have a high fuel turnover and if they did not look after their fuel it would cause them more problems & costs than it may you.

If your post is in respect of a boat please email or PM me and I will send you some more information on how to look after your fuel and bio in DERV.

There are BS/ISO/Din standards for DERV and that includes a minimum level of lubricity so I doubt adding Redex will improve the lubricity to a better degree than the systems require - think about the hours Stobart trucks run per year and if bio in the DERV was causing them a problem they would be screaming. Redex will also not do anything about the bug.

I have a 1997 Peugeot 306 non-turbo diesel car...(wow...speed machine)

Previous MOT its carbons were up a little due to its 109,000 mileage.

Over the following year..I used Redex diesel treatment every time I filled the tank...and the last MOT (115,000) the tester said it was 'as per factory specification' on carbons...and was 'very good'..so the Redex did something.

Halfords sometimes do 'two for one' offers on the large bottles.

I haven't tried it in the boat..as you would have to use a large amount...due to the amount of fuel you carry.

Edited by Bobbybass

I have a 1997 Peugeot 306 non-turbo diesel car...(wow...speed machine)

Previous MOT its carbons were up a little due to its 109,000 mileage.

Over the following year..I used Redex diesel treatment every time I filled the tank...and the last MOT (115,000) the tester said it was 'as per factory specification' on carbons...and was 'very good'..so the Redex did something.

Halfords sometimes do 'two for one' offers on the large bottles.

I haven't tried it in the boat..as you would have to use a large amount...due to the amount of fuel you carry.

Indeed I have got many diesel engined vehicles through the MOT by dosing with Diesel fuel system cleaner, not necessarily Redex. We would remove a fuel filter, pour half of the fuel out and top it up with neat cleaner, replace it and belt the vehicle around the block. Sooted up and dribbling injector spray nozzles are usually the main culprit for too high emissions which it would clean.

Edited by bizzard

What would it do to anything else connected to the diesel - e.g. Water heaters?

Probably nothing but I would be wary about introducing anything that may cause smoke into the ebrwastkini type. It may loosen carbon on the glow plug and in the combustion chamber.

When we use two stroke oil at 100:1 -200:1 mix in our mk5 Transit camper the engine definitely runs quieter, it also seems to run better with a bit more power but that may be down to reduced ignition knock giving an impression of smoothness, a bit subjective. Doesn't seem to make any difference to mpg.